• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2014 Ryder Cup Thread

Your dismissal of Walker is puzzling. He has 10 top 10's and 3 wins this year, and was one of only a handful of players to make the cut in all 4 majors (and he finished top 10 in 3 of them). Has he won recently? No, but he's been consistently good all year long. Horschel is literally the only player I would sub over him right now, but that's because he might be the hottest player in the world right now.

3 of your A guys haven't carded a win this entire season. Walker has 3.

Statistically Walker is noticeably ahead of Fowler in pretty much any category you can name, except that Fowler finished a few spots higher in the Masters, US Open and PGA (Walker finished T26 at the Open had a nice T6 in the 5th major).
He's a better ball striker, putter, and scores better.
He scores better on par 3's par 4's and par 5's.
Fowler was certainly closer to winning in the majors, but has been more inconsistent over the course of the season (7 missed cuts to 4).

And it's not like Fowler has some epic Ryder Cup history to point to. He played 4 fantastic holes in 2010 to square with McIlroy, but aside from that he was basically a dud.

Do I think Walker is going to have a better Ryder Cup than Fowler? Not necessarily because Fowler has shown an ability to rise to big occasions this year. I'm just trying to compare and contrast your classification of 2 players. One player hasn't won in a couple years but has been really close in the biggest events. The other won 3 times this season and had a very impressive record in the same big events, but is considered a significantly lesser player? Walker has the substance that people were asking of Fowler prior to his run in the majors this season.

Walker is WAY better than people give him credit for. That said, Walker has almost zero match play history to speak of.

In contrast to Walker, for example, Patrick Reed has a stellar match play record in his past. Same with Fowler, Spieth and Mahan.

I also don't mean to be argumentative. I love talking about this stuff with other people who actually care!

Don't get me wrong - I really hope he plays well. But he's a guy who's played on tour for 8 years, even lost his card and got dropped back to the Web.com tour in 2007. I think he took advantage of the wrap-around season and won 3 times when most of the real stars were taking time off. He has the look of a journeyman pro that hit a hot patch during the silly season and has just about missed as many cuts as he's made top 10's. And 6 of his last 7 events - he's been negative on strokes gained putting. It doesn't add up to Ryder Cup success to my eye - but I definitely hope to be proven wrong. Maybe he's been waiting his whole career for this kind of opportunity and will take advantage. Maybe he can green in regulation some Euros to death.

The 3 A guys that haven't won are Furyk, Fowler, and Phil. Can't say I'd even come close to replacing any of them with him. I'd say Kuchar was more of a maybe right now. But then you have to throw in zero experience in a Ryder Cup.

I don't meant to throw out my rankings as fact, and a lot of it is the eye test with me. But I have little to no expectations for Reed and Walker short of hoping they get put with a bigger name, feel comfortable not having to do too much, and can be effective in support.

If we're going to be competitive in this thing, I think we need Mickelson, Bubba, Fowler, and Furyk playing great golf. I don't think many of the other guys can stir up the kind of confidence those 4 are able to. Especially Bubba and Mickelson. Those are the two ultra talents that have the highest ceilings. And maybe Spieth, although his recent play doesn't suggest he'll catch fire.

Mostly agree with BKF (I like Lefty and Bubba). The Euro players are quite a likable bunch overall......though it would be nice if the US won overall.....:thumbsup:

I've always thought of golf as an individual game....so I will be pulling for players that I like, and against players that I don't like, no matter which "team" they are on.

That means I will be pulling for Ian Poulter & Lee Westwood in every match they play, because they are two of my favorite golfers.

And I will be pulling against Phil Mickelson & Bubba Watson in every match they play, because I don't like either one of those guys.

When none of those 4 guys are playing, I will have to decide which player I like best depending upon the matchup.

God do I fucking hate you

I've always thought of golf as an individual game....so I will be pulling for players that I like, and against players that I don't like, no matter which "team" they are on.

That means I will be pulling for Ian Poulter & Lee Westwood in every match they play, because they are two of my favorite golfers.

And I will be pulling against Phil Mickelson & Bubba Watson in every match they play, because I don't like either one of those guys.

When none of those 4 guys are playing, I will have to decide which player I like best depending upon the matchup.

Thanks for the update you anti-American jackass.
Wasn't Bob Knight in the Army? The AMERICAN Army? Ergo if you pull for the Euros you're pulling against Bobby Knight.
Ah fuck it you won't get to read this anyway. Coward.

You probably should stick to watching the match play championships in February then.
Friday and Saturday are only "team" matches. Sunday is the only individual golf happening.

If Bob knight is for anything, it's individual athletes being lauded over their team and country!

Mostly agree with BKF (I like Lefty and Bubba). The Euro players are quite a likable bunch overall......though it would be nice if the US won overall.....:thumbsup:

I don't like Mickelson and Bubba. But I do root for them in the RC, and I of course want us to win the RC. But I have softened on the Euros in recent years because they very likeable outside of Poulter and maybe Westwood. It's not like 10-20 years ago when I despised most of their guys - like Faldo, Monty, Seve, Olazabal, Langer, younger Sergio and Torrence.

Somehow I doubt fans in Europe are sitting around discussing how they're not really going to root for Europe in this year's Ryder Cup, but instead choose individual players on both sides to root for.

BooThisMan.gif

Euro practice rounds today:

McIlroy, Kaymer, Garcia
Pouter, Rose, Gallacher
Bjorn, Westwood, Donaldson
Stetson, Dubuisson, McDowell

USA:

Kuchar, Spieth, Simpson, Watson
Funky, ZJ, Mahan, Reed
Bradley, Mickelson, Fowler, Walker

McIlroy, Kaymer, Garcia
Pouter, Rose, Gallacher

USA:

Funky, ZJ, Mahan, Reed

LOL autocorrect!

Rory with a new driver in play. Says it gets him 8 more yards off the tee. I think that spells trouble for the Americans, as the one thing that's been holding Rory back is his driving distance.

Wonder if those foursomes represent our Azinger-like pods...

Boob or Bob?

McIlroy, Kaymer, Garcia
Pouter, Rose, Gallacher

USA:

Funky, ZJ, Mahan, Reed

I like that we are playing in groups of 4 while the Euros are in groups of 3.

OK, I am definitely taking Friday off and plan on watching every shot. No way I will be watching the morning sessions live on Friday and Saturday but hope to catch up and be live by the end of each day.
Question: How early is too early to start drinking on Friday & Saturday? Picked up my Tito's, Zing Zang and grapefruit juice last night. There is a good chance I will be "napping" at 2pm on Friday. Alternative: stay sober and play golf that afternoon.

How anyone can like Westwood after his bitter, whiny comments at Valhalla in 2008 is beyond me.

Back