• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2014 Ryder Cup Thread

Listened to the press conferences while working today and the US guys basically gave away some of the Friday pairings already.

Reed said that he was told he will be paired with Furyk and Johnson with Mahan.
Kuchar said he will be paired with Spieth.

Given that below were the 3 practice groups today, it looks like Tom Watson is going with a pod system.
Kuchar, Spieth, Simpson, Watson
Furyk, ZJ, Mahan, Reed
Bradley, Mickelson, Fowler, Walker

Pretty easy to deduce that Simpson/Watson, Bradley/Mickelson, Walker/Fowler are the other pairings we will see on Friday if the above info is true.

First session on Friday is fourballs and my guess is we see the following 4 groups go out:
Watson/Simpson
Bradley/Mickelson
Fowler/Walker
Johnson/Mahan

And in the afternoon:
Bradley/Mickelson
Furyk/Reed
Kuchar/Spieth
Fowler/Walker

Of course this all could be a big smoke screen by Watson, but he doesn't strike me as the sneaky type. I think he's saying "here's what we are bringing....see if you can beat it."

Furyk is 1-8-1 in fourballs, so I like that he isn't playing 36. Reed scares me in alternate shot, though. I'd switch Reed with either Johnson or Mahan.

Oliver Brown of The Telegraph:

There is no other stage in the game that would permit Rickie Fowler to disembark the Americans' Ryder Cup plane in Edinburgh sporting a GI Joe-style crewcut, the letters "USA" shaved around his ear in an exhibition of thuggish jingoism that on any normal day would give grounds for many a club secretary to throw him off the premises in a heartbeat.

What a wanker.

I think top-5 Fatrick plays well this weekend. He is a cocky SOB and I like the Furyk pairing.

Furyk is 1-8-1 in fourballs, so I like that he isn't playing 36. Reed scares me in alternate shot, though. I'd switch Reed with either Johnson or Mahan.

Yeah, I'd tend to put Furyk in alt shot and Reed in fourballs. Agree that Johnson and his wedges and Mahan would be much more appropriate for alt shot than Reed. I'd be terrified if I were Reed's alt shot partner. As a general rule, you want your more consistent par guys in alt shot and your birdie wild men in fourballs.

When was the last time the Ryder Cup was played on a non-American-style course over there? Fortunately they have left the godawful Belfry. Valderrama, K Club, and Celtic Manor were parkland-style as well. I guess it has something to do with the Euro Tour's ownership or interest in certain venues, but it would be nice to see the Ryder Cup at a top course for once, as we usually try to do in the States.

AGree, think how much more interesting the RC would be in Europe if played on the classic courses. Odd they don't play on more links style courses given the added home court advantage it would seem to give the Euros.

Oliver Brown of The Telegraph:

There is no other stage in the game that would permit Rickie Fowler to disembark the Americans' Ryder Cup plane in Edinburgh sporting a GI Joe-style crewcut, the letters "USA" shaved around his ear in an exhibition of thuggish jingoism that on any normal day would give grounds for many a club secretary to throw him off the premises in a heartbeat.

What a wanker.

"Thuggish jingoism" = words never uttered consecutively by an American.

Guess I should be happy with those pairings - every team is an A and a C guy except the 6th (since I only had 5 A's) and it's a C and a toss-up.

Not a fan of the Fowler/Walker pairing. Feel like Fowler would perform better with a veteran Ryder Cupper to give him confidence, or another young gun like Spieth to fire him up. I'd have put Mahan with Furyk and let Walker play with Zach.

Only somewhat related, but apparently DJ and Paulina are expecting. How touching.

Only somewhat related, but apparently DJ and Paulina are expecting. How touching.

funny-pictures-auto-baby-photo-479125.jpeg

Another reason for bkf to cheer for the Euros from the Ryder Cup website.

WHY THE U.S. WILL WIN...

Well, take the Captain for starters. Tom Watson played on the U.S. Ryder Cup team on four occasions -- 1977, 1981, 1983 and 1989 (he also qualified in 1979, but left on the eve of the matches to be home for the birth of his first child) and captained the 1993 U.S. team. The only matches Watson was a part of that did not result in an outright U.S. victory was 1989 when the two sides halved, 14-14. Europe, winners of the 1987 Ryder Cup, retained the trophy.

With fiery personalities like those of Keegan Bradley, Jordan Spieth, Hunter Mahan, Bubba Watson and Patrick Reed in the fold, the U.S. team won't be short on enthusiasm.

Also, it's been 21 long years since the U.S. last won on foreign soil (when Watson was last captain in 1993).

Another reason for bkf to cheer for the Euros from the Ryder Cup website.

WHY THE U.S. WILL WIN...

Well, take the Captain for starters. Tom Watson played on the U.S. Ryder Cup team on four occasions -- 1977, 1981, 1983 and 1989 (he also qualified in 1979, but left on the eve of the matches to be home for the birth of his first child) and captained the 1993 U.S. team. The only matches Watson was a part of that did not result in an outright U.S. victory was 1989 when the two sides halved, 14-14. Europe, winners of the 1987 Ryder Cup, retained the trophy.

With fiery personalities like those of Keegan Bradley, Jordan Spieth, Hunter Mahan, Bubba Watson and Patrick Reed in the fold, the U.S. team won't be short on enthusiasm.

Also, it's been 21 long years since the U.S. last won on foreign soil (when Watson was last captain in 1993).

So, he took a spot from another deserving player only to leave, what a prick. Are we even sure it was for the birth of his first child, it was probably to get his drunk on and hook up with one of his tour girlfriends. The Euros have more talent, more will, and more character than "our" team of pampered, whiny bitches. I predict a Euro blow-out and the only drama on Singles Sunday will be how big the final margin of victory will be for the Euros.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/players-reject-watsons-us-ryder-cup-revenge-idea-191319314--golf.html

Do we have a team of wussies or what? Damn straight it should be about redemption, revenge and our team should have a major chip on their shoulder being such huge underdogs. You think if the Euros had lost like we lost 2 years it wouldn't be about redemption or revenge?

Zach & Bubba's comments suck...shocker. Cool with what Furyk said; you can tell the author (for a French paper) was going to write a story to fit that headline. No revenge? Teel that to Keegan.

FLAG-ABUSE.0.gif

Zach & Bubba's comments suck...shocker. Cool with what Furyk said; you can tell the author (for a French paper) was going to write a story to fit that headline. No revenge? Teel that to Keegan.

FLAG-ABUSE.0.gif

Yeah, I think they asked the wrong guys. I don't think I've ever wanted the US to win worse than this year.

So, he took a spot from another deserving player only to leave, what a prick. Are we even sure it was for the birth of his first child, it was probably to get his drunk on and hook up with one of his tour girlfriends. The Euros have more talent, more will, and more character than "our" team of pampered, whiny bitches. I predict a Euro blow-out and the only drama on Singles Sunday will be how big the final margin of victory will be for the Euros.

slow-clap-gif.gif

Back