• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2014 Ryder Cup Thread

Something to look out for in afternoon foursomes:

Lee Westwood has never lost a team match to Jim Furyk. He's 4-0-2.

I don't think match 2 is a coin flip. It's the one match I feel really good about for the US.

And I think match 3 is a coin flip. Both US players have exceptional match play records. Poulter's magic needs to end soon.

Love the optimism. Hope you're right. Predicting that Poulter will play poorly in the Ryder Cup doesn't usually work too well for us - and he's playing against a team with zero Ryder Cup experience. Maybe that's the secret - they'll have no memory of him lighting up team USA.

As for match 2... Kaymer and Ricky are close - Kaymer with the obvious edge. Will be interesting to see if rookie Walker can outplay Bjorn.

Thanks boob.

Euros favored in 3 of 4 matches. They love your boy Walker, LK.

07:35

Rose/Stenson (1)

Draw (8)

Watson/Simpson (8/5)

07:50

Bjorn/Kaymer (11/8)

Draw (9/2)

Fowler/Walker (20/19)

08:05

Gallacher/Poulter (11/10)

Draw (5)

Spieth/Reed (13/8)

08:20

Garcia/McIlroy (10/11)

Draw (5)

Bradley/Mickelson (13/8)

ETA: odds of Reed and Poulter getting into a physical altercation (13)

Last edited:
the US usually does best in the Singles.

would be great if it was even going into Singles.

won't be surprised if the Euros roll though. was an article on that Gallacher fellow. he lives near the course evidently.

the US usually does best in the Singles.

would be great if it was even going into Singles.

won't be surprised if the Euros roll though. was an article on that Gallacher fellow. he lives near the course evidently.

That's what makes 2012 even tougher to swallow. 4 point lead going into the format we have owned in the past.

It's incredibly simplistic, but if you pair the Sunday singles by World Ranking and paired highest vs. highest,......12th highest vs. 12th highest, Euros would win the 1st 4 matches and we would win the last 8. In any event, I am feeling we have a shot if we put up 3.5 points a day the 1st 2 days.

team was overconfident. Euros wanted it more. Davis ended up sucking as Captain.

see if Phil has that goofy grin going while playing this time.

I think Love was fine as a captain. He built up a huge lead through 2 days. It took Rose holing 3 ridiculous putts in a row to beat Mickelson.

I remember being upset at Love for 2 things:

1) Not having anyone out there on 18 letting the players know that every ball was releasing through the green and to play their shot accordingly

2) A back right pin position on the par 3 17th when almost every player on our team plays right to left.

Apparently I disagree with LK about everything Ryder Cup.

Davis Love's Sunday choices were pretty terrible. Stricker 11th and Tiger 12th just made no sense whatsoever. That plus picking Furyk as a captain's choice who was in full meltdown mode at that point... I don't remember anyone who liked the Furyk pick when it was announced. His choke job was probably the most predictable one ever.

Not as bad as Sutton or Pavin, but definitely bad.

Plus he's a Heel, so I'm prepared to blame the 2012 collapse entirely on him.

Stricker was terrible that whole tournament. Tiger as the anchor was questionable in hindsight only because of the comeback. Going into Sunday, everyone loved Tiger as the anchor because "worst case scenario" its tied and he wins it for us easily. Little did anyone know, the tournament would be over before Tiger even got to finish.

Anybody going to watch this live on Friday/Saturday? I'm not working tomorrow, so after my normal morning routine, I plan on watching DVR coverage from the beginning without any spoilers.

What's the general thinking on how US would need to get their 14.5 points to win the Cup? 8 points fourballs, 8 points foursomes, 12 points singles. Guessing split fourballs, win 3/8 foursomes and get 7.5 singles.

Even the great "General" Bob Knight couldn't pull this group of saps on "our" team through to a win.

Stricker was terrible that whole tournament. Tiger as the anchor was questionable in hindsight only because of the comeback. Going into Sunday, everyone loved Tiger as the anchor because "worst case scenario" its tied and he wins it for us easily. Little did anyone know, the tournament would be over before Tiger even got to finish.

Eh, the Tiger anchor move was hugely criticized ahead of time. The 12th match has the largest chance to not matter (they hardly ever do, definitely not a "little did anyone know" scenario), so he essentially put Tiger (who had just carried a useless Stricker around the course the day before) in a worthless position. And if he was making a lineup expecting a comeback, putting the struggling Stricker (worst player in the Ryder cup) 11th made even less sense.

Plus he had the advantage of knowing he was up against a front-loaded lineup. I didn't think sitting Mickelson/Keegan was that bad a move, nor do I think he should have front-loaded the entire Sunday lineup, but his Sunday decisions (and the captains picks) were pretty questionable from the outset.

I think Love was fine as a captain. He built up a huge lead through 2 days. It took Rose holing 3 ridiculous putts in a row to beat Mickelson.

I remember being upset at Love for 2 things:

1) Not having anyone out there on 18 letting the players know that every ball was releasing through the green and to play their shot accordingly

2) A back right pin position on the par 3 17th when almost every player on our team plays right to left.

I was pissed he didn't play Phil and Keegan again on the saturday after they rolled. But I understand the reasoning going into it but I don't see how you don't trot those two back out there after the performance they put on that morning.

Plus he's a Heel, so I'm prepared to blame the 2012 collapse entirely on him.

Truth be told, and as much as I hate to admit it because I was never a Davis Love fan, he still made a much better captain than Curtis Strange.

Anybody going to watch this live on Friday/Saturday? I'm not working tomorrow, so after my normal morning routine, I plan on watching DVR coverage from the beginning without any spoilers.

I'm planning to tune in around 5am both mornings to catch the end of the morning matches.

Back