• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2014 Ryder Cup Thread

I hope anyone who criticizes DL3 is a captain was also criticizing him on Friday night. LK's limited criticisms are valid, but everything else is just armchair captaining/hindsight is 20/20 BS.

If just one of Poulter, Colsaerts, or Rose does not go unconscious for a stretch of holes each, we win. They did, and we lost.

I was pissed he didn't play Phil and Keegan again on the saturday after they rolled. But I understand the reasoning going into it but I don't see how you don't trot those two back out there after the performance they put on that morning.

I thought it was Mickelson and Bradley who begged off for the afternoon. I think Mickelson is justifiably concerned about his ability to go 5 matches. He doesn't talk about his arthritis much, but it has to be an issue when you are packing 5 pressure packed rounds into 3 days, plus walking 3 days of practice round golf.

I thought it was Mickelson and Bradley who begged off for the afternoon. I think Mickelson is justifiably concerned about his ability to go 5 matches. He doesn't talk about his arthritis much, but it has to be an issue when you are packing 5 pressure packed rounds into 3 days, plus walking 3 days of practice round golf.

Especially when he has to support that extra breast weight. Ben Wright is still amazed how well he can swing with those B cups.

Not sure who came up with the idea but Phil was on board with sitting out and did an interview talking about the records of guys in the singles who had played all 5 rounds. I think begged off is a little strong wording, no way Keegan didn't want to be back out there. It just turned out to be a bad move in hindsight.

Anybody going to watch this live on Friday/Saturday? I'm not working tomorrow, so after my normal morning routine, I plan on watching DVR coverage from the beginning without any spoilers.

Yes. Always watch this (when over there) and the open live.

I hope anyone who criticizes DL3 is a captain was also criticizing him on Friday night. LK's limited criticisms are valid, but everything else is just armchair captaining/hindsight is 20/20 BS.

If just one of Poulter, Colsaerts, or Rose does not go unconscious for a stretch of holes each, we win. They did, and we lost.

The Stricker/Furyk picks were widely criticized when they were made, and Stricker ended up predictably being the worst performer on the team. Tiger as anchor was also widely panned when it was announced - it just wasn't as big a deal because everyone assumed the US would win.

Similarly, by all reports Webb wasn't going to be Watson's pick until he texted and begged his way on the team. If he puts up a Stricker-like performance, it'll be criticized - and it won't be hindsight. A Euro player holing crazy putts won't change that.

Not sure who came up with the idea but Phil was on board with sitting out and did an interview talking about the records of guys in the singles who had played all 5 rounds. I think begged off is a little strong wording, no way Keegan didn't want to be back out there. It just turned out to be a bad move in hindsight.
If Phil didn't think he could go, than Davis should have put Tiger and Keegan together. It also didn't make sense putting Tiger in the anchor match during our situation Saturday night.

The Stricker/Furyk picks were widely criticized when they were made, and Stricker ended up predictably being the worst performer on the team. Tiger as anchor was also widely panned when it was announced - it just wasn't as big a deal because everyone assumed the US would win.

Similarly, by all reports Webb wasn't going to be Watson's pick until he texted and begged his way on the team. If he puts up a Stricker-like performance, it'll be criticized - and it won't be hindsight. A Euro player holing crazy putts won't change that.

I still think Watson should have named both Webb and Kevin Na as his captain's picks and put them out 1st in all 4 of the team sessions to slow the play to a halt. Would have given us our best chance.

Also, if they had played - they were going in Match #2 where they had played the previous 3 rounds. Instead, Webb and Bubba played there, and cruised 5&4 over Rose and Molinari(?). So it didn't make a difference.

Point is everyone was happy with DL3 when it was 10-6, and then the knives came out when we lost on Sunday. If you would have been here posting that we won in SPITE of Davis if we win going in on Sunday, than more power to you. But for most people, it is results based criticism, not process based.

I still think Watson should have named both Webb and Kevin Na as his captain's picks and put them out 1st in all 4 of the team sessions to slow the play to a halt. Would have given us our best chance.

Can you imagine Kevin Na in the Ryder Cup the way he was a year or two ago? He probably would've never gotten the club back with the pressure of the Ryder Cup.

We have a recent history of picking undeserving guys just so they can be paired with someone on the team. We saw it in 2010 with Stricker so he could be paired with Tiger. We saw it this year with Simpson, although statistically Webb was very worthy of a pick. The thing that bothered me about the Webb pick is that the logic for selecting Mahan to the team wasn't also applied to Chris Kirk. If you're going to allow Mahan on the team based on a strong performance at the end of the season, Kirk should have been on it before Mahan even was.

None of these picks in recent years were as much of a reach as Chad Campbell and JB Holmes in 2008, but those worked out perfectly. It's a coin flip on who will play well.

I'll be shocked if Webb and Bubba don't play well together this week. I think we can read into Bubba not saying anything negative about this course. It's made for his game (and McIlroy) and he has a sublime record in fourballs.

You could send Webb and Furyk out together and get almost the same result.

You really think Captain "Whitey" Watson would've picked somebody like Kevin Na to be on the team. Tiger's injury just gave him a conveinant way out.

Ben Crane and Kevin Na.

We have a recent history of picking undeserving guys just so they can be paired with someone on the team. We saw it in 2010 with Stricker so he could be paired with Tiger. We saw it this year with Simpson, although statistically Webb was very worthy of a pick. The thing that bothered me about the Webb pick is that the logic for selecting Mahan to the team wasn't also applied to Chris Kirk. If you're going to allow Mahan on the team based on a strong performance at the end of the season, Kirk should have been on it before Mahan even was.

None of these picks in recent years were as much of a reach as Chad Campbell and JB Holmes in 2008, but those worked out perfectly. It's a coin flip on who will play well.

I'll be shocked if Webb and Bubba don't play well together this week. I think we can read into Bubba not saying anything negative about this course. It's made for his game (and McIlroy) and he has a sublime record in fourballs.

Mahan also had his stellar record at the WGC working in his favor, as well as the fact that Watson knew his name before August. Not sure you could say the same of Kirk.

What the deal with Webb "begging" his way onto the team? I missed that one, though I haven't followed the thread since the day Watson made his picks.

Agree with all that, and I think Kirk should have been picked.

The point is that everyone was definitely not happy with DL3 heading into the Ryder Cup. Even up 10-6, plenty of people weren't happy with the lineup for Sunday. A lot of his criticisms were absolutely not hindsight.

What the deal with Webb "begging" his way onto the team? I missed that one, though I haven't followed the thread since the day Watson made his picks.

He texted Watson and said he really wanted to be on the team. Rumor is Watson changed his mind and put him on. "Begging" is a stretch.

Back