• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2014 Ryder Cup Thread

Stricker and Furyk were 10 and 11 on the points list. It is not like either one were reaches. Tiger and Stricker were also the two guys who had yet to win a match. There was not exactly a good place to put either of them.

He texted Watson and said he really wanted to be on the team. Rumor is Watson changed his mind and put him on. "Begging" is a stretch.

Really? Begging is a stretch?

"I know it’s a really tough decision for you, I know Chris just won and I know Bill is playing good and you even have other options than that. But I really, really, really want to be on the team and I really want to represent the United States."

At 4am the day of the selection.

"I know it’s a really tough decision for you, I know Chris just won and I know Bill is playing good and you even have other options than that. But I really, really, really want to be on the team and I really want to represent the United States."

What a bitch, and as I pointed out earlier, one of the guys he stabbed in the back was former Deac teammate and friend Bill Haas. Of course after Webb goes 0'fer in the matches and is on the team that gets it's butt whipped, he might wish he hadn't begged so hard.

Pretty shameless begging indeed. But, I have a difficult time believing that a text stating the same thing every other potential pick was thinking swayed Watson's decision at all.

Stricker and Furyk were 10 and 11 on the points list. It is not like either one were reaches. Tiger and Stricker were also the two guys who had yet to win a match. There was not exactly a good place to put either of them.

I didn't say you couldn't justify their selections. I said they were highly questioned at the time. And they were. Furyk was struggling in pressure situations and Stricker didn't have any wins. The rumors were that Davis had long decided Furyk and Stricker were in based on friendship and seniority extremely early - he even included them in the picking of the other 2 selections. Mahan had won twice and Fowler had won as well that year, but while they were considered for the team they were never considered at the expense of Furyk or Stricker.

It certainly didn't help that there was so much talk of Furyk not being able to pull the trigger on putts after blowing the US Open. Line up, address the ball, back off, realign, start the backswing, stop it, back off, take 2 more looks, address the ball and have Fluff look at the line... I'm pretty sure nobody in America thought that last putt of his was going in.

Pretty shameless begging indeed. But, I have a difficult time believing that a text stating the same thing every other potential pick was thinking swayed Watson's decision at all.

I really don't think Webb would have been as strongly considered had it not been for the Bubba pairing issue. I still bet that's what Watson was thinking most about when he picked Webb - regardless of the begging.

2012 was the first year I can recall thinking we were better in group play than as singles. Bubba + Webb were better than Bubba and Webb individually, same with Keegan and Phil. It was a gutsy, and ultimately costly, decision to put Bubba - Webb - Keegan out first 3. You knew the Euros were going to go big early, so putting 3 rookies out against whomever the Euros played was a big gamble, regardless of how well they had played to that point. By the time we had lost the first 4 with guys who had been playing well, we got into players that hadn't been playing well and we were in serious trouble.

Hindsight I guess, but would have liked to DL3 take a "win now" approach, and played his top 6 guys in the first 6 matches, betting that we could get 4.5 points out of it.

It's a weird story, and a little sketchy. Although I have no problem with it - I'd beg like crazy to get into the Ryder Cup and don't blame Webb at all. I think reading between the lines Watson had a gut feeling that Webb wanted revenge and his team needed some fight. I don't buy the "I found some stats piled up" story for a second, but who cares. I hope Webb crushes Poulter.

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/jason-sobel/simpson-talked-texted-way-ryder-cup-team/

I really don't think Webb would have been as strongly considered had it not been for the Bubba pairing issue. I still bet that's what Watson was thinking most about when he picked Webb - regardless of the begging.

So the captain of "our" Ryder Cup team has to base one of his selections on finding a guy that is suitable to play with whiny, bitchy, redneck, bible thumping Bubba Watson, what if Bubba only will play with a General Lee themed bag, would Watson have ordered those too?

I don't know why, but I expect Spieth to have a big Ryder Cup for us.

I would enjoy few things more than that. And he absolutely strikes me as the type of player who could feed off the energy of the event and start dropping putts from everywhere.

Also, one of the assistant captains in 2012 should have been on 17 green to tell guys that a putt from the front right to that Sunday hole location broke right not left. Webb, Stricker and I think a few others all missed it the same way.

Fowler/Walker photobomb

850x595.jpg

Silicone is a wonderful thing.

If Webb stinks it up he may wish he hadn't begged his way on to the team.

I thought that Fowler and Mahan were two of Bubba's closest friends on tour. Why is Webb the only one who can play with him?

Back