• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2014 Ryder Cup Thread

Watson and Tiger have had a chilly relationship in the past. If the rest of the team wants him on the squad, and he says he's healthy - he's probably in, but not because Watson is dying to pick him.

Captains picks are a crapshoot anyway this year. The third pick is very unlikely to make much of a dent in the scoreboard. An ice-cold Webb Simpson? Chris Kirk fresh off his lone win in November 2013? You think anyone wants to play with Kevin Na?

He's got almost two full months to continue his recovery, you just have to hope if he's still struggling with his back in 3 weeks he'll take himself out of the the running. I wouldn't mind a healthy Tiger on the team even after such a poor year - but if it ends up with Tiger clutching his back and wincing in misery that would suck. Hopefully he won't bullshit his way onto the team.

Hopefully Watson will pick the three hottest players over the next 3 weeks, assuming those players are already in the top 25-30 of the standings.

DC, I think you've stumbled on the solution. Kevin Na. Let's irritate our opponents to death. Also take Webb and pair them together and send them out 1st every session. And that way the afternoon matches may not end before nightfall. You think it was dark when they were playing last night. You ain't seen nothing yet.

Thanks for the link damo. I wasn't Googling that at work.

Glad this announcement was made to avoid speculation over the next couple of weeks.

Results in Greensboro are going to merit a larger spotlight now.

I'm guessing he was told he wouldn't be selected.

Can't imagine that's what happened. Timing doesn't make sense, and Watson doesn't play bullshit media games. He wouldn't go on record lying just to protect Tiger, especially when he came out so vocally against Tiger's lying previously.

Tiger came back too early, his back regressed and he finally made a smart decision to rest it. Nothing to see here. I've been there. Well, I didn't come back too soon. But it is a long "process" as Tiger likes to say. And now he can reboot that process.

Since we're going to get smoked at Gleneagles anyway, I'd like to see Daly as a captains pick. The ratings would be through the roof. And it's not that crazy. Long John is way better across the pond than he is in the US of A. Plus, he could design the uniforms.

I can't imagine he wanted to be selected. If his health is as bad as it appears, why would he want hurt the team and embarrass himself.

Then why has he been playing and embarrassing himself over the last 2 months? I don't think his logical and patriotic side suddenly appeared as self centered as he is. I think he still wanted to play but got talked out of it by his docs and coach.

Then why has he been playing and embarrassing himself over the last 2 months? I don't think his logical and patriotic side suddenly appeared as self centered as he is. I think he still wanted to play but got talked out of it by his docs and coach.

I think he came back for the last two majors. He's running out of time and he knows it.

Any other player coming off an injury and surgery makes 2 cuts (including at a major) and misses 2 cuts and it'd be no big deal. At least he made a cut in one of the two majors - Webb Simpson missed both at +14 combined.

Tiger did the right thing here, as hard as that is for many to accept. There's nothing overly complicated about it. Even Tiger isn't immune to caring about the Ryder Cup.

tiger lets watson off the hook by pulling his name out of consideration.

tiger lets watson off the hook by pulling his name out of consideration.

Good for him. Kudos to Tiger.

Def vote for Na. Slow things down, fuck w/ the Euros heads.

I'm hoping for Snedeker and Webb to catch fire in the next 3 weeks.

Back