• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2014 Ryder Cup Thread

Haas legitimately in the discussion with a T2 yesterday. Webb and Snedeker also helping their cause with T5's.

Of the 3, Snedeker is the most deserving. He got off to a bad start to the year but has been playing well the last 3 months. Plus he's been 1 of the best golfers on the tour over the last 3 years or so other than his bad start this year. Whereas Webb had a good early part of the year but has struggled over the last 4-5 months and has missed a bunch of cuts. If Brandt has a nice couple of weeks, I'd be inclined to take him, Keegan and Moore.

Agree about Snedeker & Keegan. "Sneedekerr" and Watson have a good relationship too.

Ryan Moore does nothing for me as a Ryder Cup selection. He's played really well after the US Open though.

Last edited:
Agree about Snedeker & Keegan. "Sneedekerr" and Watson have a good relationship too.

Ryan Moore does nothing for me as a Ryder Cup selection. He's played really well after the US Open though.

Ryan Moore has been playing well and has one of the all-time great match play records as an amateur. Great showing at the Open Championship. I lean towards him for pick 3 even though it means Webb and Bill would stay home.

Moore was a great amateur and has been a very solid pro. Now that he is in his 30s, I'd focus more on the pro match play results though. From the Accenture Match Play,

2010: lost 1st round
2011: lost in Qtrs
2012: DNP
2013: lost 1st round
2014: lost 2nd round

I like Moore fine, but his 3 Tour victories are in Meh events: Greensboro, Shriners and last year in Kuala Lumpur. On the bright side, all those tournaments were late in the season.

If he is picked, I will buy in and pull for him. Really need some Americans to step up in the next couple of weeks. Greensboro was a nice start.

I'll buy in and root for any US players not named Kevin Na. But it would be hilarious if Watson picked him, and he is in the top-20.

Moore was a great amateur and has been a very solid pro. Now that he is in his 30s, I'd focus more on the pro match play results though. From the Accenture Match Play,

2010: lost 1st round
2011: lost in Qtrs
2012: DNP
2013: lost 1st round
2014: lost 2nd round

I like Moore fine, but his 3 Tour victories are in Meh events: Greensboro, Shriners and last year in Kuala Lumpur. On the bright side, all those tournaments were late in the season.

If he is picked, I will buy in and pull for him. Really need some Americans to step up in the next couple of weeks. Greensboro was a nice start.

I hear you - and he's a 3rd pick so nobody is going to be a world beater. I think putting "lost" in front of every match play event is a little unfair. Losses to Ernie Els, Luke Donald, Kuchar, and Furyk. Wins over Luiten, Molinari, Choi, and Watney. And 2 of his 3 tour wins were in playoffs, albeit mediocre events.

I think there are some signs he might turn it up a notch in match play style events as far as a guy who didn't earn his way on the team, that's all. Haas only has one match play win ever in the same number of appearances. Webb has 5 wins, plus a nice pres cup record and Ryder Cup experience. But he's just struggling this year.

I'm rooting for Webb, but not sure he's done enough.

To be clear, I haven't mentioned Haas and Simpson since Moore was mentioned. I'm not making a case for them over Moore right now. Just saying Moore's resume isn't that great...but it is as good as anyone else's sadly.

I'm hoping for 3 out of Bradley, Snedeker, Simpson, and Haas. I think they are the best four players left. Whoever plays the best among them should get the nods. All have multiple team event experience and all have won big tournaments. Moore and the others lack that. Also, advantage to Snedeker and Simpson because they can really putt.

I'm hoping for 3 out of Bradley, Snedeker, Simpson, and Haas. I think they are the best four players left. Whoever plays the best among them should get the nods. All have multiple team event experience and all have won big tournaments. Moore and the others lack that. Also, advantage to Snedeker and Simpson because they can really putt.

I can't make a case for Haas or Webb over Moore, even though their careers have been better than Moore's up till this year. But it's possible we could need a 4th captain's pick if Kucher's back doesn't get better. Does anyone know what the deadline is to replace an injured player?

To be clear, I haven't mentioned Haas and Simpson since Moore was mentioned. I'm not making a case for them over Moore right now. Just saying Moore's resume isn't that great...but it is as good as anyone else's sadly.

Yeah, sorry, not trying to argue - just discuss. I realize these points aren't all that strong.

It would be nice for once if an underdog American team could overachieve in a Ryder Cup.

I can't make a case for Haas or Webb over Moore, even though their careers have been better than Moore's up till this year. But it's possible we could need a 4th captain's pick if Kucher's back doesn't get better. Does anyone know what the deadline is to replace an injured player?

Isn't there just the one deadline, Sept 2? Not aware that they have a separate one for injured players.

Isn't there just the one deadline, Sept 2? Not aware that they have a separate one for injured players.

I have no idea. But it would suck to get to that week and have Kucher withdraw and Europe get a point on Sunday with their weakest player. As loaded as their team is, we can't have that happen. That happened with Christie Kerr on Sunday in 1 of the last 2 Solheim Cups.

Yeah, now I'm wondering how they do handle if a player has to drop after the teams are announced officially. Don't recall it ever happening but surely there's a process in place. Wonder how they handle a WD during the competition too.

Stricker is shutting it down until December because of the injury, so that is another possible pick off the board.

With a quick Google search, I couldn't find out anything about an injury replacement deadline, but I have heard commentators mention it a couple of times recently. Hopefully Kuch's injury isn't that bad. However...

-- In the event of an injury to a player on either team, each Ryder Cup Captain keeps the name of one team member in a sealed envelope. This man will withdraw from the singles competition if either team is unable to field the full 12-man roster. Each team will then be awarded half a point. http://www.rydercup.com/usa/team/2012-ryder-cup-13th-man

Talking myself into Moore.....We've got 3 rookies on the team (Spieth, Walker and Reed). Could easily take on a 4th and not be too young. Moore is a nice blend of experience and youth, if Watson doesn't want to go with a younger rookie that might be intimidated by the stage (Todd). I think Reed and Spieth will love the environment. Watson had 9 auto qualifiers; Moore is 10th in the standings if you exclude Dufner. With the results the last 2 months, I can get behind the pick. Regardless of who Watson picks on Sept. 2, he isn't going to be striking fear into the hearts of the Euros.

Webb is playing with Zach J and B Todd at the Barclays. Haas is playing with Keegan and Every. 2 good groups for Watson to follow.

So weak. I get guys that were on the bubble not going, but guys like Jimmy Walker, Bubba, etc absolutely should have gone.
Bradley and Jim Furyk (No. 3) were the only two players to take Watson up on an offer to join him at Gleneagles for a scouting trip the week before the Open Championship.

http://www.rydercup.com/usa/news/ry...-us-captains-picks?atrack=hp_top-story-list_0

They've got Harris English on their list...who is paired with Moore this week. No thanks. Missed cut in 3 of 4 majors. Only 1 finish better than 30th in his last 12 starts. I'd take Haas over English. Article was before the Wyndham or Bill may have replaced English on that list anyway. Bill hasn't missed a cut all year (he did W/D at 1 tournament). Worst finish all year is 51st.

This article also brings up the Webb/Bubba successful pairing and how others may struggle with Bubba.

I certainly wouldn't want to play alternate shot with Bubba. Especially on 1 of his bad putting days when you don't want to watch him putt.

Guys would just love cleaning up Harris English's 3 putts.

Back