• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2014 Ryder Cup Thread

Solid 1st round start by Keegan, Webb, Speith, Reed and Jimmy Walker.

Really glad to see Reed playing well. I think he could be a huge asset for the US team.

Yeah, and looking forward to seeing his wife back on the bag.

Yeah, and looking forward to seeing his wife back on the bag.

Had to look this up as I saw her on the bag recently and then saw her brother on the bag some round/tournament after that.

Justine said that Karain would return to caddying duties next week at The Barclays, but Patrick indicated that the assignment for the balance of the year – including the Ryder Cup – is still undecided.
“All of that’s up in the air,” he said.

80 of 94 players made the cut. Sneds is not 1 of them. 2 missed cuts in FedEx playoffs. Don't see him getting picked.

Haas & Simpson both T5 through 36. IMO, they have legit shots to join Keegan and Mahan with a T3 or better.

80 of 94 players made the cut. Sneds is not 1 of them. 2 missed cuts in FedEx playoffs. Don't see him getting picked.

Haas & Simpson both T5 through 36. IMO, they have legit shots to join Keegan and Mahan with a T3 or better.

I could see Palmer or Horschel getting a win this week and getting picked. Horschel has just enough of an edge that I think he'd be great on the team.

Agree. I'd be cool with either if they step up this weekend. Our current squad has something ridiculous like 1 win since April.

3rd spot is wide open.

Guess the 3rd spot goes to Kirk. He stepped up today and yesterday when paired with Rory and won the biggest event of his career. No other US bubble guy made a run. Will be surprised if it isn't Bradley, Mahan and Kirk. Watson makes picks tomorrow at 6pm.

Think the only argument for Webb over Kirk is experience. Kirk was one spot ahead of him on point list (14/15) and Kirk beat Webb at last 3 tournaments. (PGA/Barclays/this week). Kirk didnt play the Wyndham.

Watson also has to like the 64 and 66 from Kirk on the weekend paired with Rory.

So, my long way of saying that I agree with QC.

Euro Captain McGinley makes his picks tomorrow morning. Will be shown during Morning Drive (7-10am). Poulter, Donald and Gallacher are the names I have seen the most, with Westwood also mentioned.

You gotta go with Gallacher. The guy has been in good form all year and is playing well now. I'd leave out Westwood because he's played like shite all year. I'd take Poulter and Donald. They're playing like shite now but were playing better earlier this year and are both great match play guys.

Watson has the tougher choices. Keegan is the easy 1 - you take him. I thought Sneds was close to a lock 2 weeks ago, but now he's playing like shite. Moore isn't doing much recently. Mahan had the win but is pretty far back in the standings, hasn't done much else and doesn't have a good short game. Webb is starting to play better but was playing like shite before the last few weeks. I'd lean toward Kirk at this point. Horshel played well this weekend but yaked away the tournament on that last shot and isn't high on the standings. Another guy I'd consider is Ryan Palmer. So Keegan, Kirk and ?.

Is there any doubt the US loses in a blowout? I hope Watson has some magic under his captain's hat but this is shaping up to be a beatdown.

Poulter has been playing terrible golf, but I'm sure he'll find his game during the Ryder Cup, as usual.

I had forgotten Westwood's strong performance at the PGA, whereas Donald has been sucking recently, so I guess that makes sense.

BtB, on paper Europe does look a whole lot stronger, and they have an added advantage of playing on a course they play every year - so they know it and we don't. And they prolly won't mow the greens too closely. If you're looking for some ray of hope, a few of their guys aren't in the best form as of late - like GMac, Westwood and Poulter. And most of our guys are in pretty decent form of late. Add to that I think we'll have a better locker room atmosphere without Tiger and DJ. And maybe being overwhelming underdogs takes the pressure off us and puts it more on the Euros. But that's all I've got. I look at that Euro roster, and I think they win something like 16-12.

I think Keegan, Mahan and Webb will be the picks.

Kirk and Watson have probably never spoken before. Yesterday was his 2nd top 25 since June 1.

I had forgotten Westwood's strong performance at the PGA, whereas Donald has been sucking recently, so I guess that makes sense.

BtB, on paper Europe does look a whole lot stronger, and they have an added advantage of playing on a course they play every year - so they know it and we don't. And they prolly won't mow the greens too closely. If you're looking for some ray of hope, a few of their guys aren't in the best form as of late - like GMac, Westwood and Poulter. And most of our guys are in pretty decent form of late. Add to that I think we'll have a better locker room atmosphere without Tiger and DJ. And maybe being overwhelming underdogs takes the pressure off us and puts it more on the Euros. But that's all I've got. I look at that Euro roster, and I think they win something like 16-12.
That's about all I can come up with too. Watson was the captain the last time we won the Cup on foreign soil. However, Watson is in his 60s now and although I love the guy, he may struggle to relate to these guys more than a 40-something captain. Gary Williams and Aaron Oberholser were discussing on Twitter last night if Tom Watson had ever talked to Chris Kirk before. ETA: Tin Cup beat me to it.

Good Grantland piece.
McGinley was able to leave former world #1 Luke Donald (10-4-1 in Ryder Cups) at home. Watson is considering guys like Snedeker (2 straight missed cuts and ineligible to play over the next 2 weeks to get ready). As the Grantland article points out, he hasn't stepped up when the pressure is on.
It really helps Kirk's cause that he played the final 36 with Rory, went bogey free (64-66) and beat him by 4 strokes over the weekend.
Watson is a huge Greenbrier guy; Webb was 3rd at The Greenbrier. If he wants experience, familiarity and someone who will play well with the #1 points earner on the team, he goes with Webb.

I think Kirk should be the call over Webb, even though before yesterday, Kirk had never Top 10'd in a major, WCG or playoff event. If he sucks over the next 2 weeks, only play him during Sunday singles.

Back