• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2014 Ryder Cup Thread

I'm not sure I get the Kirk pick either. He is a solid player who just won, but he hasn't done that much historically to justify making the team. Not suggesting Webb should get that pick, but Kirk doesn't seem like a no-brainer despite the win.

Kirk and Watson have probably never spoken before. Yesterday was his 2nd top 25 since June 1.

This. And Kirk had done almost nothing in the last 2-3 months.

I think Webb and Bill both get a serious look, but that Webb gets the spot due to experience and putting. Bill has played steady this year (better than Webb through most of calendar year 2014) and has almost as good a pedigree, but hasn't really contended until recently.

No way Webb gets picked over Kirk.

Disagree on this. I could very much see him being picked over Kirk. 9 top 10's in 23 events this season. Only 3 players (Kuchar, McIlroy, Walker) had more top 10 finishes this season.

Webb hits more Greens and is a better putter statistically.

I can see Watson making one out of the blue pick based purely on his own gut feelings.

Sneds looked great from US Open-Wyndham. Making 1 cut at either the Barclays or Deutsche probably puts him on the team (and gets him 1 more week in the playoffs). His 3rd pick is going to get 2nd guessed whoever it is (Mahan may get 2nd guessed too).

Webb, Mahan, and Bradley. Let's hope TW has put the pieces together well.

Official 2014 Ryder Cup Thread : Webb makes team!

Watched both selection shows tonight. Webb got a lot of chatter from analysts on TGC. Believe it was Chamblee that had Webb over Mahan as #2 pick, so it wasn't the surprise to me it would have been 3 hours ago.

Happy with the picks but what a stupid announcement show tonight. McGinley announced all 3 immediately after naming the 1st 9 players and then took questions. Tonight was announce Bradley, pop him up on a video screen, field 5 minutes of media questions to Bradley...announce Mahan,etc. Felt like they were trying to build suspense like a singing reality show.

Glad to be wrong. Still very surprised Webb got it but what great news.

Other than Keegan, there were no clear choices, and it seems like Watson went with experience. I had forgotten about Mahan's match play record. So I guess that makes sense. He's a great ball striker but his short game is really questionable - bad chipper and streaky with the putter. And what might have tilted things Webb's way is his ability to pair with Bubba and maybe Reed - 2 tough guys to find the right partner. I was leaning Kirk and was impressed with his win this weekend, and I kinda wanted to see 1 more rookie on the team and like his game, but his Summer on the whole wasn't as good as his record earlier in the year. I still prolly would have picked him, but I think with no clear choices, Watson based his decision on Mahan's match play record and Webb's ability to pair with 1 or 2 tough guys because if you compare Webb's year with 6 missed cuts in the last 5-6 months with Kirk's year, Kirk had the better resume.

My ESPN washed brain was wondering what Tiger had to do with this. TW=Tom Watson. Slightly embarrassed.

Just glad my Wake washed brain didn't lead me to Tony Woods, which in turn triggers a name redacted memory = losing = no chance for this year's Ryder Cup team.

Currently, Oddschecker shows Europe favored at 4-7 odds, while the United States is pegged at 7-4 odds. In other words, the implied probability of Europe retaining the Ryder Cup is 63 percent.

I think it's better than 63% that Europe keeps it. They've got 4 of the top 5 in the world, a torrid Rory and most of them are in decent form. Only GMac, Westwood and Poulter aren't in good form, and they're all good match play folks.

Wonder if Webb's performance at Cherry Hill and so far this week are making TW a bit nervous.

Captain's picks: Bradley W/D's at Cherry Hills and doesn't qualify for Tour Championship. Mahan & Simpson were #27 and #28 in a 29 man field yesterday. Possible captain's picks Horschel & Kirk were #1 and #2. Yeah, I am thinking TW might be a little nervous.

Tom Terrific couldn't make any picks which were going to change the outcome of this thing.

Experience and potential partners seemed to be big factors in the selections. And even if not fair, it is hard not to second guess. Horschel, Kirk, and Haas all look like appealing options at the moment. Hopefully Mahan and Webb playing so poorly just means they have already checked out and are getting ready for next week.

Back