• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2014 Ryder Cup Thread

Captain's picks: Bradley W/D's at Cherry Hills and doesn't qualify for Tour Championship. Mahan & Simpson were #27 and #28 in a 29 man field yesterday. Possible captain's picks Horschel & Kirk were #1 and #2. Yeah, I am thinking TW might be a little nervous.

And Kirk is off to another good start this week. I still would have leaned Kirk over Webb because of Webb's inconsistency, but 94 is prolly correct. I wouldn't be surprised to see a blowout. At least most of these Euros not named Poulter are nice now compared to all the dicks they had 10-20 years ago. Seemed like Darren Clarke was the only nice Euro for a few straight Ryder Cups. Now even Sergio has matured and mellowed, except when he has to play with Tiger.

He wanted players with decent Ryder Cup records with something to prove after the last 2 Cups. Tough to fault that strategy. OTOH, I wish he could have waited until Monday to make his picks.

fowler.rickie.usa_.shaved.jpg

I'm sure Captain Watson is a huge fan of this

Someone find 4 decent alternate shot pairings out of this list of players:

Bradley
Fowler
Furyk
Johnson
Kuchar
Mahan
Mickelson
Reed
Simpson
Spieth
Walker
Watson

I think it's a lock we'll see Mickelson/Bradley together.
I also think we will see Bubba and Webb together, but most likely in fourballs instead of alternate shot.

Beyond that, we really don't have any historically great pairings to lean on. Who do you pair Fowler with if the main reason Webb is on the team is to be Bubba's partner?

Speith - Fowler
Mickelson - Bradley
Mahan - Kuchar
Furyk - Johnson

Someone find 4 decent alternate shot pairings out of this list of players:

Bradley
Fowler
Furyk
Johnson
Kuchar
Mahan
Mickelson
Reed
Simpson
Spieth
Walker
Watson

I think it's a lock we'll see Mickelson/Bradley together.
I also think we will see Bubba and Webb together, but most likely in fourballs instead of alternate shot.

Beyond that, we really don't have any historically great pairings to lean on. Who do you pair Fowler with if the main reason Webb is on the team is to be Bubba's partner?

Here's a stab if you are saying Phil/Bradley are a lock.

I see Furyk, Kuchar, Fowler, Johnson, Mahan, Spieth and Walker(?) as good alternate shot partners.
Furyk-Spieth
Kuchar-Z. Johnson/Walker
Fowler-Mahan

I'd be scared to put Bubba in alt shot, but agree he and Webb will likely pair up each afternoon in best ball. And I think Mick and Bradley are better for best ball than alt shot too, though I think Watson will try them in at least 1 morning alt shot. I also don't know that I'd really want Walker or Reed in alt shot, especially Reed as crazy up and down as he's been recently.

I think Furyk, Fowler, Zach, Kuch, Mahan and Spieth will be guys you see in alt shot each day. Zach is short but steady, can putt and may be the best wedge player in the world. Mahan is a weak chipper and streaky at best putter but a consistent ball striker. Spieth is pretty good at everything and a good competitor. Kuch, when healthy, is as solid all around as you get, as is Fowler. And Furyk has had a great year - hope he continues that as opposed to retreating to prior iffy Ryder Cup play. As for pairings, maybe Zach/Mahan, Furky/Spieth and Fowler/Kuch?

Speith - Fowler
Mickelson - Bradley
Mahan - Kuchar
Furyk - Johnson

Pretty good. Now which one of those do you throw out against the inevitable McIlroy/McDowell pairing?

Pretty good. Now which one of those do you throw out against the inevitable McIlroy/McDowell pairing?

Reed/Bubba, or whatever the equivalent is.

I'd try to match our better teams against their less great teams. Which is gonna be hard because I don't see anyone on this Euro team who I'd wanna hide if I were Europe's coach. Though, FWIW, I don't know that GMac is in the best of form at the moment. He hasn't had a great Summer and just had his 1st kid. But I agree we'll see the Rory/GMac pairing at least twice.

I'm not 100% certain that alternate shot is first. Historically the Euros like the fourballs to be first since they play better in that format than the alternate shot.

Jimmy Walker is arguably our most well rounded player statistically and IMO should be out there in every match.

My alternate shot pairings:

Mickelson/Bradley
Mahan/Kuchar
Walker/Fowler
Furyk/Johnson

And you send Mickelson/Bradley out against McIlroy/McDowell.

Reed/Bubba, or whatever the equivalent is.

I'd try to match our better teams against their less great teams. Which is gonna be hard because I don't see anyone on this Euro team who I'd wanna hide if I were Europe's coach. Though, FWIW, I don't know that GMac is in the best of form at the moment. He hasn't had a great Summer and just had his 1st kid. But I agree we'll see the Rory/GMac pairing at least twice.

Some other pairings I expect:
Westwood/Garcia
Rose/Poulter

We might not see Thomas Bjorn until Sunday.

Here are pairings we've used in the past with the current roster:

Alternate Shot
Bubba/Webb (0-1)
Mickelson/Bradley (2-0)
Johnson/Mahan (1-1)
Furyk/Fowler (0-0-1)

Fourball
Bubba/Webb (2-0)
Mickelson/Bradley (1-0)
Mickelson/Fowler (0-1)
Mickelson/Mahan (0-0-1)

I'm not 100% certain that alternate shot is first. Historically the Euros like the fourballs to be first since they play better in that format than the alternate shot.

Jimmy Walker is arguably our most well rounded player statistically and IMO should be out there in every match.

My alternate shot pairings:

Mickelson/Bradley
Mahan/Kuchar
Walker/Fowler
Furyk/Johnson

And you send Mickelson/Bradley out against McIlroy/McDowell.

Is this a joke?

No, I don't think it's a joke. Jimmy is long and has a good scoring average and statistically has prolly had the best year of any of our players. But he's still a rookie and hasn't been as good in the Summer as he was the beginning of the year when he was getting his wins. But on 2nd thought, sure, you can throw him out there in alt shot given the rest of the team. I'm also beginning to believe Webb was chosen more for his ability to pair with the mercurial Bubba than his form.

I figured it wasn't, but I don't see how you can plan on throwing a 35 year old Ryder/President's Cup rookie out there for 5 matches. He's only played in 1 Match Play Championship (lost in 2nd round). You would need a serious fallback plan if he threw up on himself in the 1st match. I think he could be a good player for us, and wouldn't hesitate to play him in the 1st session, but I wouldn't count on him for more than 3 matches unless he plays great from the start (see: Keegan Bradley).

No idea who a good pairing with Walker would be. Shame Dustin is suspended or he could have paired with Walker.:couch:

No idea who a good pairing with Walker would be. Shame Dustin is suspended or he could have paired with Walker.:couch:

He and Kuchar were a great pairing in 2012. Same with ZJohnson and Dufner.

Back