• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

F is for Fascism (Ferguson MO)

Copying my post from another thread cause I'm lazy.

So the police in Ferguson have now arrested journalists (and released them), fired tear gas at crowds that include journalists, and have kicked out satellite trucks so no one can show events live.

Bu9sflUIQAAJVGn.png

More Twitter spam, one livestream suddenly went down:

its north St Louis, police firing tear gas looks good compared to your normal day of drive bys and gang shootings!

Here is a sentence that will be immediately familiar to anyone who has ever followed even a little news out of the Middle East:

Journalists from the Qatari news outlet Al Jazeera were attacked by state security forces today and blanketed in tear gas, as they attempted to film an ongoing protest; this is the latest in a string of attacks on journalists by security forces.

Now see if you can guess the country. It's not Egypt. Not Tunisia.

Nope: this happened, exactly as described, in the United States of America on Wednesday night, in the Missouri town of Ferguson. Here is the video of Al Jazeera America journalists in Ferguson being clearly targeted with tear gas by Ferguson police.

[h=3]Ryan J. Reilly[/h]Tonight, along with a reporter from The Washington Post, I was arrested while reporting on the protests in Ferguson.

Our apparent crime? Not packing up our gear quickly enough after a heavily armed SWAT team shut down the McDonald's where we were working. A Saint Louis County police officer in full riot gear, who refused to identify himself despite my repeated requests, purposefully banged my head against the window on the way out and sarcastically apologized.

I'm fine. But if this is the way these officers treat a white reporter working on a laptop who moved a little too slowly for their liking, I can't imagine how horribly they treat others.

And if anyone thinks that the militarization of our police force isn't a huge issue in this country, I've got a story to tell you.

(Also thanks to everyone for the well-wishes, sorry I haven't had time to reply individually.)

file675ztypo1dz169p9530n_800_480.jpg

That's not a picture from Ferguson, that's the Russian "OMON" - the feared, hated and violent special police force inside the country.

I would love someone to tell me exactly how they would look out of place in Ferguson though, that might as well have been snapped from the same camera. And that frightens me very much. Militarized internal security forces are an absolutely scary thing to be around.

file675ztypo1dz169p9530n_800_480.jpg

That's not a picture from Ferguson, that's the Russian "OMON" - the feared, hated and violent special police force inside the country.

I would love someone to tell me exactly how they would look out of place in Ferguson though, that might as well have been snapped from the same camera. And that frightens me very much. Militarized internal security forces are an absolutely scary thing to be around.

At least three of them appear to not have their weapons aimed at a person with his or her hands up. That's how they'd be out of place.

In Ferguson, Washington Post reporter Wesley Lowery gives account of his arrest

During this time, we asked the officers for badge numbers. We asked to speak to a supervising officer. We asked why we were being detained. We were told: trespassing in a McDonald’s.

“I hope you’re happy with yourself,” one officer told me. And I responded: “This story’s going to get out there. It’s going to be on the front page of The Washington Post tomorrow.”

And he said, “Yeah, well, you’re going to be in my jail cell tonight.”

My question is where the hell is AG Holder ?(along with pretty much all of MO's public officials) The tanks and snipers need to be put away at the very least is step number one. Step number 2 is the police should talk to mr unnamed shooter and say it's time to turn yourself in.

Remember Holder is the same man who said America is a nation of cowards when it comes to race. I'd be shocked if the JD doesn't make some actual moves today. Just seems like a layup for him.

EDIT
Apparently someone has a brain as the STL County Police are being removed from duty

Last edited:
Gotta hand it to the media- they take hysterical circle jerks to the next level when they are "reporting" on themselves.

My question is where the hell is AG Holder ?(along with pretty much all of MO's public officials) The tanks and snipers need to be put away at the very least is step number one. Step number 2 is the police should talk to mr unnamed shooter and say it's time to turn yourself in.

Remember Holder is the same man who said America is a nation of cowards when it comes to race. I'd be shocked if the JD doesn't make some actual moves today. Just seems like a layup for him.

FBI/DOJ is running a parallel investigation on the shooting of Michael Brown.

FBI/DOJ is running a parallel investigation on the shooting of Michael Brown.

The list of "investigations" being done by the FBI/DOJ into controversies that get public eyeballs is quite long. Standard Op procedure is announce an investigation. That's the ultimate of baby steps.

The list of "investigations" being done by the FBI/DOJ into controversies that get public eyeballs is quite long. Standard Op procedure is announce an investigation. That's the ultimate of baby steps.

Well I mean what's going on is plainly a state responsibility and not the federal government's. Obama and Holder should be threatening Nixon with whatever they can, but I don't understand why criticism would be placed with them and not the people whose actual job it is to oversee local governments in MO.

Back