• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

F is for Fascism (Ferguson MO)

if the average drunk driver is on the road 80 times (!) before they get caught why the fuck are cop patrols/DUI checkpoints still even thought of as any part of the solution

lol techno-utopianism
Have an honors thesis defense on this (and eco-utopianism) tomorrow.

But honestly I'd be careful mixing your historical analysis with Hobbesian philosophy because him and Locke fuccin loved property and were more than happy to come up with anything that supported that view - including their understanding of how human beings get along.

but i'm not really here to interrogate them, because I think abolition doesn't even really need to reject the view that man tends toward conflict without rule - it's really just that police rule shouldn't be the guiding hand

if the average drunk driver is on the road 80 times (!) before they get caught why the fuck are cop patrols/DUI checkpoints still even thought of as any part of the solution

lol techno-utopianism

If that stat is true, it's pretty obvious that the police are not deterring DUIs any more than they are deterring broken taillights.

DUI arrests are way down in recent years, coinciding with the rise of Uber/Lyft. That supports the posted article's point that the way to reduce drunk driving is not to throw more cops and guns at it, but to provide people a convenient alternative.

Free public transportation including first mile/last mile would dramatically reduce a lot of the problems we associate with traffic, public safety, and policing and in the end would probably be much more efficient and less costly. Use free public transportation paid for by shifting police budgets, raising taxes, etc. If you want to own a car, cool. Get a license, buy a car, pay for the insurance, etc and learn the laws and enjoy less traffic on the roads. I'd get rid of speed limits on multi-lane highways and interstate along with it.

problem is people on public transportation talk too much, and no one really wants to deal with other people all that much. Between a car ride and sharing a train/plane/bus with other people, gimme the car ride.

But honestly I'd be careful mixing your historical analysis with Hobbesian philosophy because him and Locke fuccin loved property and were more than happy to come up with anything that supported that view - including their understanding of how human beings get along.

but i'm not really here to interrogate them, because I think abolition doesn't even really need to reject the view that man tends toward conflict without rule - it's really just that police rule shouldn't be the guiding hand

I do view history through the lens of Hobbes, but only when it comes to the selfishness and predictability of mankind. Humans act for their own interests; property and its security is not something that the elites will give up without an extremely violent struggle.

So you can reform our current system without a revolution, or you remake it under a new government and framework which come to power through extreme violence.

When I hear the Taser excuse, I keep thinking of the memes justifying Tamir Rice's murder that showed two allegedly indistinguishable guns (one was a toy, one real). Apparently, that problem goes deeper than we thought.

Damn.

174355922_10164704463450618_8161890254844350854_n.jpg

Trained veteran cops can't tell the difference during a stressful situation, but civilians with guns pointed at them better remain calm or your dead.

I've seen several people post on social media pics of Daunte Wright holding a gun, saying this is real Daunte the media doesn't want you to see. as if those white folks don't fucking love to post pics of themselves with all their precious guns.

I’m not sure how a four year degree would stop these issues in a way more effective than increased training would.

I’m not sure how a four year degree would stop these issues in a way more effective than increased training would.

Increased training doesn’t work either!

MHB, I understand your aversion to the term "gun control" but what are the abolitionist perspectives on guns in a world without police?

I've had a hard time finding writing that engages this topic seriously

Back