• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

F is for Fascism (Ferguson MO)

I'm not equating. 15=/= 1. 1 is too many, but 15 is way, way too many.

What are their names?

What is your argument? That we should ignore that Michael Brown was shot by a police officer, or that we should also have protests for the 15 victims in Chicago that can be violently broken up by police?

What is your argument? That we should ignore that Michael Brown was shot by a police officer, or that we should also have protests for the 15 victims in Chicago that can be violently broken up by police?

I need a decoder ring to determine which shootings spark outrage. When does Rev Al touch down in Chicago?

Said nothing in that article that he has not championed his whole political life.

Not that I know much about Rand Paul, but this seems like a situation where you can spot the difference between the libertarians and the people who say they are libertarians but mean that they only want government money spent on the things they like.

Liked the piece by Paul.

Would it outrage you if a police officer shot an unarmed 18 year old?

Almost as much as it would outrage me if political leadership and the media largely ignored a homicide epidemic in a major American city.

jhmd, this should be your moment of glory: when people aren't upset at the military for militarization. Heck, there've been all sorts of stories quoting veterans condemning the tactics in Ferguson.

You're playing this all wrong. Take a victory lap around your desk or something.

I need a decoder ring to determine which shootings spark outrage. When does Rev Al touch down in Chicago?
You should keep a look out for violent acts and murders committed by public servants. People who are entrusted, even paid, to protect the public are naturally more scrutinized than ordinary citizens.

He held a prominent town hall meeting there in December according to my friends at Google.

Given the circumstances and violence surrounding the incident, the prudent thing to do is withhold his name for his safety and that of his family until the investigation is complete. It isn't unheard of to see this done. It's just that it is uncommon to see this kind of reaction to your run-of-the-mill shooting.

And that he is a cop does make it a different circumstance. It is a shooting in the line of duty. The usual thing is suspension and relegation to desk work pending the outcome of the investigation. Shooting somebody is actually within the scope of his duty, which is why there is a process in place to address it and determine whether he acted outside the scope of his duties in using deadly force.

Isn't that where most of the outrage is coming from - that a situation like this is becoming a "run of the mill" shooting?

How what works?

You should keep a look out for violent acts and murders committed by public servants. People who are entrusted, even paid, to protect the public are naturally more scrutinized than ordinary citizens.

Unless the President droning American citizens without due process. Yes we can, or something.

Just so I don't forget, jhmd, what are their names?

Almost as much as it would outrage me if political leadership and the media largely ignored a homicide epidemic in a major American city.

Is there a homicide epidemic in Chicago (the major American city to which I assume you were referring)? Is the murder rate per capita there way above the rates of other American cities? Pretty sure that in 2012, Chicago's murder rate wasn't even in the top 20 in the country per capita. And there rate went down in 2013 and is on about the same level in 2014.

But by all means, let's derail a thread discussing the reaction of people who are upset about a unarmed young man being shot, as well as the military-style "protective actions" that have been taking place over the last 4-5 days.

Wouldn't this seem to be a good time for you to say "hey guys, you are right! This stuff is fucked up!" There is no law that says you have to take the opposite position on a thread. It's ok to agree.

Or you can just try to pivot once again. Your call.

Back