• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

F is for Fascism (Ferguson MO)

No truer words have ever been written.

Indeed. They always need something or somebody to rail against, to keep that anger flowing. Just look at the mob that showed up at the Clinton's home in NY to yell "Lock Her Up!" and protest (what exactly? That she's still alive?). Hillary's retired from politics and has been for four years now, but Trumpites still want her arrested and sent to prison (or maybe just publicly executed) because of something something that they can't specify. It's like the old Monty Python "She's a Witch!" routine, and for them it never gets old.

It’s partly nostalgia...the dishonest character assassination didn’t work quite as effectively against Biden.

By 2011, owing to retirements and a hiring freeze, the police force had shrunk to ninety officers, around sixty per cent of its pre-bankruptcy size, and the police budget had been cut by about a third. The union had warned that the cuts would lead to an increase in crime—a billboard in the city read “public safety is disappearing”—but, in the two years following Vallejo’s bankruptcy, violent crime decreased by a quarter.

Police in other parts of the country worried that Vallejo’s approach could spread. In 2008, the magazine American Police Beat published an article, titled “time to circle the wagons,” which warned police departments that, as the country fell into a recession, “highly compensated law enforcement agencies” should be worried. Police unions should be prepared to “identify the vocal critics and make them feel your pain. Somehow this seems to be where the unions get queasy and weak-kneed.” The article went on, “It is often difficult to convince yourself or the members to picket some councilman’s business, put their home telephone numbers up on billboards, and in general make their lives a living hell. . . . Get dirty and fight to win.”
As Vallejo was arguing for bankruptcy in court, Gomes told me, police cars and motorcycles drove by her house multiple times a day, and officers revved their engines and looked into her front window. One officer, Steve Darden, wrote a rap song about Gomes and posted it online. It included these lines:

I’m plain sick and tired of all the trash you’re talkin’
When the truth comes out we gonna send you walkin’ . . .
You’re the worst kind causing all these problems
When it starts heating up you run and hide in your closet . . .
Be careful what you wish for it could come true
As we all watch the plan backfire on you
How a Deadly Police Force Ruled a City

So like Bane and his group in The Dark Knight Rises.

That's the type of thing that bothered me about that film when I last watched it.

So like Bane and his group in The Dark Knight Rises.

That's the type of thing that bothered me about that film when I last watched it.

Weren't those people supposed to represent Occupy Wall Street?

To question the existence of a group that seems to do nothing more than exist to be coopted by the right as a boogeyman for everything that ever possibly goes wrong at one of their stupid ass rallies? I question what positive they bring specifically because their existence is used as a flak by the right to deflect from their bullshit. Every time I see the news about violence at one of these rallies the name ANTIFA is front and center, when I personally wish the fascist fucktards would just stand on their own without having any way to flip the narrative against them. And yes, I do understand that my even discussing that is indeed falling into that trap myself. I'm just tired of trying to have discussions with my MAGA friends about this shit and literally always hearing "but ANTIFA..."

Couldn't really think of a clear way to articulate that - it's more my frustration coming thru that people keep unintentionally providing ammunition that the other side can use to justify their bullshit. My apologies.

You've been around long enough to know that if it wasn't ANTIFA, it would be something else that the right wing would be bitching about and blaming. Nazis don't deserve an uninterrupted platform. Nazis deserve to be shouted down and punched in the face. I'm glad there are people willing to confront them in person and call them out for the fucktards they are.

Back