• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

F is for Fascism (Ferguson MO)

How much are rookie cops paid? Is this true?

in Harrisburg, PA, a cop starts at $53k and hits $64,500 after 4 years. that's one of the lowest in the surrounding municipalities

a rookie teacher in Harrisburg with a masters starts at $38,500; in 4 years they're at $41k

it takes 20 years of service for a teacher with Masters degree to hit $53k

the police officer numbers probably got bumped up b/c those were from an article about the mayor pushing for raises.

the teacher numbers are the 2020-2021 pay scale sheets

in Harrisburg, PA, a cop starts at $53k and hits $64,500 after 4 years. that's one of the lowest in the surrounding municipalities

a rookie teacher in Harrisburg with a masters starts at $38,500; in 4 years they're at $41k

it takes 20 years of service for a teacher with Masters degree to hit $53k

The teachers unions are ruining education!!!

That doesn't even get into police pensions which don't even have to follow normal qualified plan rules. Teachers' retirement plans are very nice but not like police.

obviously this is going to vary widely across the country

in Cobb County, GA, first-year teachers with Bachelor's degrees earn just under $47,000 and first-year cops earn less, at $46,000

in that county, a veteran teacher (15 years) with a Master's degree earns $69,000 (nice!) or 1.5 times a rookie cop

That doesn't even get into police pensions which don't even have to follow normal qualified plan rules. Teachers' retirement plans are very nice but not like police.

Police also get some pretty sweet and frequent overtime pay, from what I recall.

No, but I used to watch The Dukes of Hazzard when I was a kid. They were always running from the cops and for some reason, never got shot.

Probably because it was a TV show about fictional characters.

Probably because it was a TV show about fictional characters.

You don’t watch much TV do you? Cops shoot fictional characters all the time.

No, but I used to watch The Dukes of Hazzard when I was a kid. They were always running from the cops and for some reason, never got shot.

I always assumed it was because Roscoe and Enos were social workers and trained in the art of de-escalation.

the video of an Arkansas cop flipping over a pregnant woman's car as she tried to pull over is a new one

the video of an Arkansas cop flipping over a pregnant woman's car as she tried to pull over is a new one

More evidence that policing is about exercising power than public safety. What kind of asshole think it’s better to flip over a car than to just follow the car especially when it’s clearly pulling over?

Ah. A Republican.

“A comment from a state Senator given to KARK alas shows a common politician attitude toward second-guessing police actions, no matter how reckless, dangerous, or absurd: "'End of the day when somebody is fleeing I will never question the method police officer uses to stop them,' said Sen. Bart Hester (R-Cave Springs). 'I don't care if it's 60 miles an hour, I don't care if its 100 miles an hour, I want them stopped as soon as possible.'"”

https://reason.com/2021/06/09/cop-f...3onZo01g4VT_6dvTBMJi-F4_LaEj5untUbA-TcxTbgum8

"I want the stopped as soon as possible..." against all evidence how needlessly dangerous it is.

[h=1]A Cop Just Pleaded Guilty to Sending Himself Nudes From a Detained Woman’s Phone[/h]

Former Minnesota State Trooper Albert Kuehne was previously put on leave for a high-speed chase that injured three kids.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/akg...ding-himself-nudes-from-detained-womans-phone

In March of last year, Kuehne encountered a 25-year-old woman, who has not been named, after she was involved in a minor car accident in Minneapolis, according to a criminal complaint. When troopers arrived, Kuehne detained the woman on suspicion that she may have been driving while intoxicated.

The woman was seated in the back of the trooper’s squad car making a phone call when Kuehne demanded that she hand over her phone. Squad car video shows that he kept the phone and accessed its contents without the woman’s consent as paramedics treated her, according to the complaint. Afterward, the woman was transported to a nearby hospital for treatment before being released.

When the woman returned home, her boyfriend noticed something strange: The MacBook that the phone was synced to showed that a series of personal photos were sent from the woman’s phone to an unknown number. When her boyfriend dialed the number, Kuehne picked up and identified himself, according to the complaint.

The couple contacted a lawyer, who informed the Minnesota Bureau and Criminal Apprehension. Investigators later discovered Kuehne deleted evidence that he had sent the photos to himself on the victim’s phone, according to the complaint.

'People are scared' as gang activity fuels Portland violence

With more bullets comes more bloodshed. There have been 37 homicides in Oregon’s largest city so far this year, more than six times the number recorded in the same period last year. If nothing changes, Portland will surpass its all-time record for homicides of 70 set in 1987, when the city was in the midst of a gang siege.

The violence has deeply affected Portland, a liberal city that continues to grapple with the role of its police force more than a year after thousands of Black Lives Matter protesters demanded change following the murder of George Floyd.

The surge in gang-related shootings, which has disproportionately impacted people of color, puts the spotlight on a sensitive and polarizing topic — felt in major cities across the country — where violence is increasing as people continue to call for defunding police.

“This touches all of us,” said Portland Pastor Matt Hennessee, a longtime anti-gun violence activist whose 33-year-old stepson was shot and killed in a parking lot in May. “I have lived here for 32 years and I have always seen this city as a safe place. This is not the Portland that we know.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/people-scared-gang-activity-fuels-050223817.html

Back