• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

F is for Fascism (Ferguson MO)

Months of research and dozens of interviews by AL.com found that Brookside’s finances are rocket-fueled by tickets and aggressive policing. In a two-year period between 2018 and 2020 Brookside revenues from fines and forfeitures soared more than 640 percent and now make up half the city’s total income.

And the police chief has called for more.

The town of 1,253 just north of Birmingham reported just 55 serious crimes to the state in the entire eight year period between 2011 and 2018 – none of them homicide or rape. But in 2018 it began building a police empire, hiring more and more officers to blanket its six miles of roads and mile-and-a-half jurisdiction on Interstate 22.

By 2020 Brookside made more misdemeanor arrests than it has residents.

Along the lines of what came out about the small towns around St. Louis after Ferguson. Except they made the changes recently.

As more tickets brought in more money, the town began to spend much more. From 2018 to 2020, spending on police rose from $79,000 to $524,000, a 560% increase. The town’s administrative expenditures rose 40% and overall spending jumped 112%, from $553,000 in 2018 to $1.2 million in 2020.

Hire more police to bring in more money.

Use the money to hire more police.

One thing that Jan 6th has taught me is that the police can be very patient and withhold lethal force if they want to. That has become my new standard for police behavior.

Why can't these officers act like those on Jan 6th?

2 CT detectives suspended over handling of Lauren Smith-Fields, Brenda Lee Rawls investigations

https://abc7ny.com/lauren-smith-fields-brenda-lee-rawls-bridgeport-detectives/11525737/

“Two Bridgeport detectives have been suspended over their handling over a pair of death investigations, including the case of 23-year-old Lauren Smith-Fields, who was found dead after a date with a man she met online.”

“Do you think if a white mother or father had their 23-year-old white daughter die and the last person who saw her was an older Black man that she met on a dating site, do you think that would have been handled in the exact same way?" City Councilwoman Maria Pereira said. "I'm sorry, I don't believe that."

Even if you don’t have a gun, you’re killed for having a gun in a nation that takes pride in the right to bear arms.

Think it's terrible that police get to claim fear for life without question? Soon to be extended to everyone in Missouri!

Even if you don’t have a gun, you’re killed for having a gun in a nation that takes pride in the right to bear arms.

The right to bear arms shall not be infringed upon...unless you are non-white.

That group of police officers had every right to stand their ground against one, unarmed man.

A White-Latino teen ("Joey") and Black teen got into a mall fight. The cops came 20 seconds after the filming started while Joey had the Black teen on the ground. The cops came and politely sat Joey down on a couch. Then both cops their knees on the Black teen and cuffed him even though as far as they could have seen, he was the one getting beat up.

But that's not all. Joey and his mom went to the media and said it wasn't fair how the cops treated the Black teen and the girl who filmed it and her mom agreed.

https://wgntv.com/news/video-shows-...-teens-neck-after-breaking-up-mall-fight/amp/

On Tuesday night, 15-year-old Joey said he couldn’t believe he wasn’t also placed in cuffs.

“I knew it was wrong, and I knew there was gonna be problems when they did that,” he said. “They didn’t go for me.”
Joey’s friend, Sienna Freidinger, filmed the video. She said the officers’ responses weren’t fair.
“The Black kid was the only one who was getting tackled, and both officers, like, laid on him,” she said. “Joey could have gotten up and walked away.”
Her mother, Alicia, said she was horrified by the video her daughter recorded.
“I couldn’t believe that a mall fight turned into something like this,” she said. “I couldn’t believe that both of the police officers were on that young man — that Black young man — and nothing was done with the other young man.”
She added, “And it almost seemed to me that the white female officer was even saying to Joey, ‘Are you alright?'”

Back