• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

F is for Fascism (Ferguson MO)

but the question remains: why is police the answer if high levels of policing does not correlate with low levels of homicide rate?

Just trying to be clear here: your claim (by posting those two juxtaposed pictures) is that those two actions are responsible for Saint Louis' ranking on that graph?

If spending government money to harm people doesn’t deliver the desired result, we spend more.

If spending government money to help people doesn’t deliver the desired result, we spend less. Doesn’t make sense.

The proposition was that it would be easeier to train social workers to be cops than vice versa. Read the thread. I don't think you'd have a lot of social workers signing up for actual police training. You apparently don't understand what a strawman is versus discussing the actual point.

I'm fine with sending social workers to social worker type calls.
I guess I got confused when you popped into the gun violence thread with a crack about sending social workers on police calls. Sorry to mix up your different sarcasms.

But that doesn't mean that social workers want to be trained to handle instances of extreme physical violence at risk to their own person more easily than police officers can be trained to handle domestic disputes.

Right now there are thousands of cops actively handling all of the stuff that we've been told social workers are better equipped to handle, without incident. In some cases they've actually been trained to do it through de-escalation tactics, or they figured it out on their own.

Did you read the article you absolute turd? Extreme physical violence is not a situation social workers are being asked to cover here.

shit, we're at the point in time where Biff is an absolute turd, yet I don't recall Biff employing an indentured servant

Did you read the article you absolute turd? Extreme physical violence is not a situation social workers are being asked to cover here.

Well I thought we were discussing training social workers as police officers.

Well I thought we were discussing training social workers as police officers.

I posted an article and said suck it biff, and the article was about sending social workers and EMS to nonviolent emergency calls. You posted like ten more times about how social workers shouldn’t be sent to violent calls, a weird right wing talking point that makes me think you’re stupid or can’t read or both.

Yes, that it’s important to use the police brutality thread to show off your irony edgelord skills

St. Louis is a failed city. Plain and simple.

Point of information: St. Louis has had Democrat as its mayor continuously since 1949.

1563fdcdd1a1be8d806575f2b7950c11.gif

Sounds like the defund the police movement is certainly having the effect of reducing the police force by getting them to quit en masse. What happens if we decide to reverse course and decide we need more cops if say violent crime spikes over the next few years and we're unable to hire them back?

How about actually updating police training? The victim's families keep asking for it, but I don't think it ever happens. Police cadets are terrorized in their training to be trigger-happy else they'll die ("better tried by 12 than carried out by 6" is one of their sayings). Police work is indeed dangerous, but the danger is overstated in their training. It is #22 in most dangerous jobs. Europe trains their police force A LOT more than the US. What is their training? Seems police training could be updated to include the social work elements that apply, and perhaps other things as well. The headline I want to read is City Updates Police Training for All Current/New LEO.

Sounds like the defund the police movement is certainly having the effect of reducing the police force by getting them to quit en masse. What happens if we decide to reverse course and decide we need more cops if say violent crime spikes over the next few years and we're unable to hire them back?

Good one.

I understand people that are skeptical of abolition as a concept. But I wish that those people would bring the same energy and skepticism to questioning reform and the fact that reform has got us to where we are now.

How about actually updating police training? The victim's families keep asking for it, but I don't think it ever happens. Police cadets are terrorized in their training to be trigger-happy else they'll die ("better tried by 12 than carried out by 6" is one of their sayings). Police work is indeed dangerous, but the danger is overstated in their training. It is #22 in most dangerous jobs. Europe trains their police force A LOT more than the US. What is their training? Seems police training could be updated to include the social work elements that apply, and perhaps other things as well. The headline I want to read is City Updates Police Training for All Current/New LEO.

We have been doing this for decades? Where’s the evidence that it works?

Back