• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

F is for Fascism (Ferguson MO)

Anyone should feel free to point out what I'm missing, but I don't see why an adult human being who shot another human being isn't a suspect, and, therefore, may have their name released. It seems the only relevant difference here is that this guy was a cop. But why should it matter that he was a cop? Unless you think it is in his job description to shoot people, this dude did something outside the scope of his public duty.

Given the circumstances and violence surrounding the incident, the prudent thing to do is withhold his name for his safety and that of his family until the investigation is complete. It isn't unheard of to see this done. It's just that it is uncommon to see this kind of reaction to your run-of-the-mill shooting.

And that he is a cop does make it a different circumstance. It is a shooting in the line of duty. The usual thing is suspension and relegation to desk work pending the outcome of the investigation. Shooting somebody is actually within the scope of his duty, which is why there is a process in place to address it and determine whether he acted outside the scope of his duties in using deadly force.

Curious as to why EMS wasn't sent to retrieve the body. This video clearly shows that the police loaded the body into a Police SUV. On top of that, Anonymous is stating that they have evidence of 'Operation Ferguson' being put into place before the body was removed. Weirdness abounds.

It's the cop thing that I disagree with. Unless the victim was somehow a known associate of an organized crime ring, I'm comfortable with releasing the names of cops in officer-involved shootings. Treat them the same as any other citizen in that regard. We knew George Zimmerman's name as soon as he was a suspect, no?

Texas, cops are special. That's all you need to know. We are here to protect and serve their interest, not the other way around.

Texas, cops are special. That's all you need to know. We are here to protect and serve their interest, not the other way around.

DORCHESTER, Mass. (MyFoxBoston.com) -- A Dorchester woman who stabbed and killed her ex-boyfriend Thursday night says it was self-defense.

The woman said her ex-boyfriend allegedly assaulted her and threatened her life, so in order to defend herself, she stabbed him, the Boston Globe reported.

"I just wanted to scare him, but he charged at me," the 26-year-old woman told the newspaper.

The woman’s neighbors said she asked them not to let her ex, 29-year-old Emmanuel Jeudi, in the building and that she was afraid of him. According to court documents, she had previously taken a restraining order out on him.

The woman is a mother of two daughters under the age of 5 and both were home when the fight with Jeudi occurred.

Police have not named the woman and no charges have been filed. The investigation remains ongoing.

Seems pretty similar to me.

It's the cop thing that I disagree with. Unless the victim was somehow a known associate of an organized crime ring, I'm comfortable with releasing the names of cops in officer-involved shootings. Treat them the same as any other citizen in that regard. We knew George Zimmerman's name as soon as he was a suspect, no?

The Zimmerman thing didn't blow up until well after. This blew up pretty much instantly.

Curious as to why EMS wasn't sent to retrieve the body. This video clearly shows that the police loaded the body into a Police SUV. On top of that, Anonymous is stating that they have evidence of 'Operation Ferguson' being put into place before the body was removed. Weirdness abounds.

What exactly is "Operation Ferguson" supposed to be?

Lots of information is kept private until later on in an investigation for all sorts of reasons.
In the instance of an officer's name not being disclosed... it seems fair. We accept that at some point in the course of their job, they may need to shoot somebody - that's why they're armed. Should that come to pass, it's reasonable to protect them from potential harm from making that decision. Clearly this situation is different from a more standard/acceptable situation in which someone's weapon is discharged, but these administrative procedures do and should have a blanket application.

Last edited:
You're equating a cop with a possible victim of domestic assault.

Unless you're being sarcastic.

When there's a chance that a killing was justified, it's not unusual not to release the name right away. Especially when charges have not been filed and the investigation is ongoing.

It's pretty much standard operating procedure not to release a name (or the nature of the evidence) while an investigation is ongoing. The exception to this is where they need the help of the public in locating the suspect.

Here you have an added component that you have a pretty good reason to believe the cop's life, and that of his family, would be in danger (at least at this point). They can't release the name. If something happened it would be a plaintiff's attorney's wet dream.

And I would add that that's about the only thing the authorities are doing right in this whole situation.

I think releasing the information about an officer is going to depend on state law.

What were the names of the 15 people killed so far in Chicago this month (so far)? Where are the riots?

What were the names of the 15 people killed so far in Chicago this month (so far)? Where are the riots?

You're equating Americans killed by Americans to Americans killed by members of the criminal justice system under the guise of upholding the law?

Interesting. So when government taxes, it's bad. When government executes without due process, it's meh.

You're equating Americans killed by Americans to Americans killed by members of the criminal justice system under the guise of upholding the law?

Interesting. So when government taxes, it's bad. When government executes without due process, it's meh.

I'm not equating. 15=/= 1. 1 is too many, but 15 is way, way too many.

What are their names?

Back