• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

F is for Fascism (Ferguson MO)

Ferguson Police could not have handled this more poorly:

-Cop shot Brown in broad daylight and nobody even checked on him for 30-40 minutes
-Left a dead body uncovered in the street for 4 or 5 hours in plain view of a community
-After multiple nights of violence they release the video of the kid stealing at the same time they identify the officer

Certainly not excusing robbery and looting, but strong armed robbery or jaywalking aren't and shouldn't be criminal offenses. Ferguson PD is tone deaf and needlessly antagonized the community. It's painfully obvious that they didn't just receive the robbery video yesterday.

Strong armed robbery isn't a criminal offense?

Serious question, why aren't more LEOs using non lethal weapons? I'm going to assume the answer is just the NRA.

In my experience, they are. LEOs love tasers because they end a confrontation. You can shoot someone many times and the person not go down, but a taser incapacitates as long as you hit.

Absolutely. That's not to say the cop was in the right--by all accounts he wasn't--but I'd rather be alive and bruised than dead and posthumously vindicated by the court system. If you don't fuck with cops, odds are they aren't going to kill you, whether you are white or black. That has nothing do with the law or right and wrong--it's just common sense. You can't win a frontal assault on a person with superior power; so why even go down that road, especially when the consequences of being wrong are so severe?

Another reason why violence is not the answer.

blame the victim......

The man who represents Ferguson in the US Congress decided the police need the military hardware the Pentagon is handing out. I wonder is he's changed his mind. He, along with the vast majority of representatives, including the leadership on both sides of the aisle, voted against an amendment to stop the practice.

http://reason.com/blog/2014/08/14/fergusons-rep-lacy-clay-voted-against-am

Madam Chair, you may recall, yesterday, I gave an impassioned plea in favor of a different version of this amendment, which was ruled out of order. I am hoping for a better result tonight; but in any event, there is only so much passion in the world, so I will keep my remarks short.

I rise today to address a growing problem throughout our country, which is the militarization of local law enforcement agencies. The New York Times recently reported that police departments have received thousands of pieces of camouflage and night-vision equipment and hundreds of silencers, armored cars, and aircraft directly from the Department of Defense. These are military weapons. I think this is appalling. That is why my amendment would prohibit the Department of Defense from gifting excess equipment, such as aircraft--including drones--armored vehicles, grenade launchers, silencers, and bombs to local police departments. Those weapons have no place in our streets, regardless of who may be deploying them. As The New York Times article ``War Gear Flows to Police Departments'' explains:

Police SWAT teams are now deployed tens of thousands of times each year, increasingly for routine jobs. Masked, heavily armed police officers in Louisiana raided a nightclub in 2006 as part of a liquor inspection. In Florida in 2010, officers in SWAT gear and with guns drawn carried out raids on barbershops that mostly led only to charges of ``barbering without a license.''

One South Carolina sheriff's department now takes a new tank that it received from the Department of Defense with a mounted .50-caliber gun to schools and community events. The department's spokesman calls that tank a ``conversation starter.'' I don't think this is the way I want my America to be. I think we should help our police act like public servants, not like warriors at war.

Last edited:
Last edited:
The Democrats, whatever my criticism of them, have consistency on their side. They are constantly on the side of big government.

The problem your nonsensical premise has been shown on another thread. For the past 30+ Dems have cut the GOP's exploding deficits. A perfect example is W's last FY was 2009. It had a $1.4T deficit vs. 2014 which will have under $500B in deficit.

St. Ronnie intentionally trebled the national debt with record government growth and spending. Clinton took record deficits and turned them into surpluses.

You have a nice memorized lie to tell, but the reality is GOP POTUS are far less responsible with spending and deficits than Dems are.

Add to this, over the past 60+ years, economic growth has been greater under Dem vs. Republican POTUS.

Maybe the Tooth Fairy will believe you or ignorant rednecks, but the numbers don't.

The Democrats, whatever my criticism of them, have consistency on their side. They are constantly on the side of big government.

That's not true. See the militarization issue domestically and abroad as a huge example. Our military is the biggest component of big government.

do you think if a black cop from Winston had shot a white Wake student down in cold blood that he wouldn't have been arrested already?

No. I think it would be handled exactly the same way all police shootings, including this one, is handled.

You are less cynical than I.

Also do you think that cop has stopped white kids for jaywalking, left, then backed his car to go after them again?

That's not true. See the militarization issue domestically and abroad as a huge example. Our military is the biggest component of big government.

That's not really true. While not as in bed as the pubs are the Dems are not opposed to the industrial military complex. Just look at the current administration.

I thought it was the North Carolina School for Science AND Math. When did it change to "or"?

<Governmentbudgetpiechartagainforthe#dense.gif>

You should keep a look out for violent acts and murders committed by public servants. People who are entrusted, even paid, to protect the public are naturally more scrutinized than ordinary citizens.

Oh, you better believe I'm looking out for just such an opportunity. I need to a t.v. and some new shoes. I plan on getting my fair of social justice through a broken out store front window at the expense of someone who did absolutely nothing wrong but try to work and run a business.

That's not really true. While not as in bed as the pubs are the Dems are not opposed to the industrial military complex. Just look at the current administration.

Dems in general are much more opposed to it than the current administration.

Even so, our presence outside our borders has decreased under Obama compared to Bush.

Dems in general are much more opposed to it than the current administration.

Even so, our presence outside our borders has decreased under Obama compared to Bush.

Only by perception. There is a c hair difference between the two in reality.

The problem your nonsensical premise has been shown on another thread. For the past 30+ Dems have cut the GOP's exploding deficits. A perfect example is W's last FY was 2009. It had a $1.4T deficit vs. 2014 which will have under $500B in deficit.

St. Ronnie intentionally trebled the national debt with record government growth and spending. Clinton took record deficits and turned them into surpluses.

You have a nice memorized lie to tell, but the reality is GOP POTUS are far less responsible with spending and deficits than Dems are.

Add to this, over the past 60+ years, economic growth has been greater under Dem vs. Republican POTUS.

Maybe the Tooth Fairy will believe you or ignorant rednecks, but the numbers don't.

Where are those debt numbers coming from?

Back