• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

F is for Fascism (Ferguson MO)

I assume the front of that shirt mentions self-defense, right?

I've shot guns a lot over the years and they're fun and all, but I've never owned one and I don't anticipate that I will. I get all of the arguments for having guns in rural societies (I don't know that I agree with all of them, but whatever), but what I really hate is the inability for cities to ban guns (thanks Heller, you cunt). I've lived in DC for 17 years now and I've never not shared walls with other people. While there are two layers of brick between my house and my neighbors' houses, there are definitely fully legal guns/ammo that could easily go from their houses into mine. And this is a much bigger deal in apartments/condos where the walls are much thinner (I'm pretty sure a bb gun could have gone through the walls in one place I lived in). I don't want my neighbors or the invaders who come into their house to be able to have guns that can kill me in my house (and I'd include the police in that too). So the fact that the SCOTUS overturned DC's ban on guns really pissed me off. It's not like DC was a peaceful sanctuary before Heller, and the legality of guns hasn't resulted in more gun violence/death, but I think it was a dramatic step in the wrong direction. My dad is one of those "but the criminals all have them so you should as well" kind of people, but I'd just rather no one have them and you make the consequences of having one severe.

[h=1]Kentucky attorney general will share Breonna Taylor grand jury recording after juror calls for release[/h]
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/09/28/breonna-taylor-grand-juror/

The Kentucky attorney general will release a recording of the grand jury proceedings that led to no charges for the death of Breonna Taylor, a spokeswoman said Monday night, hours after an unidentified juror filed a court motion criticizing the attorney general’s statements and asking to share details so that “the truth may prevail."

The attorney general will share the information Wednesday on a judge’s order, despite concerns the release could compromise an ongoing investigation and cause other repercussions, spokeswoman Elizabeth Kuhn said. Lawyers for Taylor’s family and a slew of leaders, including Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear (D), have urged Attorney General Daniel Cameron (R) to make the secretive grand jury process public, as questions mount over last week’s charging announcement.

[h=1]‘This could have been a Breonna Taylor:’ Police stormed a Black student’s dorm after a false report[/h]
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/09/29/sfa-black-student-police-false-report/

Christin Evans was suddenly awakened in the early hours of Sept. 14 by the sound of campus police storming into her dorm room at Stephen F. Austin State University with guns drawn and bright lights shining into her eyes.

A resident adviser had called campus police after a group of students, who included Evans’s three White roommates, said Evans, who is Black, had threatened them, her lawyer, Randall Kallinen, said at a news conference on Monday.

But soon after the 3 a.m. raid, police said the accusation against 17-year-old Evans was made up.

Cops raided a residence hall at 3 am guns drawn because of some made up mean girl bullshit.

Definitely. In 2020, nobody can claim calling the police on someone is a "prank."

All parties involved need to be reprimanded. Obviously the 10 women who made the report are at fault. But the RA made the decision to call the police. Think through this. Even if she had threatened her roommates, she was alone in her room. There wasn't an immediate threat. I can't think of any good reason for a police to conduct a raid at 3 am threatening to shoot a student sleeping in a dorm room.

We can both acknowledge that cops are wild animals and it's irresponsible to unleash them and change the system so cops aren't encouraged to be wild animals.

I've let this line lay around for a day now.

"We can both acknowledge that cops are wild animals and it's irresponsible to unleash them and change the system so cops aren't encouraged to be wild animals."

Is this truly how you believe about law enforcement in our country? I'm not looking for debate, I just want to know where you stand, so I can figure out where I should stand on the subject of PhDeac in the future.

Thank you.

Jeff Amernick/tvcigar

Yes. But how I feel is informed by what’s expected of law enforcement by our society especially those who are “pro-police.” Citizens are expected to control themselves around police but there is little standard for how police should act. It hearkens to language about how people should act in the forest around bears. Or the Chris Rock bit about Siegfried and Roy. “That tiger went tiger.” If someone talks back to a cop, and the cop hits him, people say “well what did you expect?” It’s like what you’d say to someone rattling a gorilla cage after the gorilla throws poop at him.

Hold police to a higher standard. Put the burden on police to treat citizens with respect.

It also doesn't help that most of your younger police officers today are under qualified and under educated. The barrier to entry for a law enforcement officer should be at minimum an undergraduate degree with a minor in "Community Relations" since that is 90% of their jobs.

We give way too many HS fuck ups and military burnouts automatic weapons with a few months training and expect them to act civilly and responsibly when put into high pressure situations.

Last edited:
Name another group of human beings for whom violence is expected and goes unpunished.

Name another group of human beings that if they harm you, you are expected to apologize to them.

Name another group of human beings that if they attack you, people ask you what you did to provoke them.

Name another group of human beings that if they harass you, people just say they're doing what they're supposed to do.

Last edited:
No it doesn't. Press is allowed to cover what is going on. They do that at their own risk, and the risk is getting pepper spray in the face.

tv, you embraced that language yourself right here. You just accept that freedom of the press and your freedom to do your job could be infringed by police at your own risk.

Last edited:
If the opposite of "pro police" is "pro criminal", then yes, I am "pro police". We all agree that changes are needed in law enforcement, but the broad brush of "We can both acknowledge that cops are wild animals..." is never going to improve any situation.

Cops make my job difficult on a daily basis, but I'd never say that every cop is an asshole.

This is why I, and most of the folks around here stay out of The Tunnels. The broad brush approach is entirely annoying as fuck.

And it's entirely too easy to hide behind your internet handles and say asinine things on a daily basis.

Have a wonderful day.

Peace.

The opposite of pro-police isn't pro-criminal. That characterization is part of the problem. Police don't deal with criminals. Police deal with people who are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. Their job is to start the process of determining who is innocent and who is guilty.

Sometimes a squirrel comes up to you and just looks at you and runs away. That doesn't mean it isn't a wild animal. That same squirrel could bite someone else.

Feel free to engage and have a discussion. Looks like you just want to be angry that I don't see the world like you do. Ironic that you can point a camera to take pictures and videos of other people but find it a burden to understand other peoples' experiences.

Last edited:
If the opposite of "pro police" is "pro criminal", then yes, I am "pro police". We all agree that changes are needed in law enforcement, but the broad brush of "We can both acknowledge that cops are wild animals..." is never going to improve any situation.

Cops make my job difficult on a daily basis, but I'd never say that every cop is an asshole.

This is why I, and most of the folks around here stay out of The Tunnels. The broad brush approach is entirely annoying as fuck.

And it's entirely too easy to hide behind your internet handles and say asinine things on a daily basis.

Have a wonderful day.

Peace.

Rails against broad brushing by broad brushing every poster on the Tunnels. Good post, would read again :thumbsup:

Back