• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

F is for Fascism (Ferguson MO)

The Ferguson Police named Brown as the suspect in the photos.

The FPD did, however, post a still from surveillance footage it claims shows Michael Brown in the act of robbing a convenience store of a box of cigars. The claim is being cited by police apologists as important in the context of the shooting of Michael Brown. In my two and a half years covering police brutality issues here at Reason (and before that a year and a half of doing the same on Freedom Watch), and in my years of reading about these kinds of stories, I have never come across an incident where someone suspected of a crime who was shot by cops wasn’t immediately identified as such in initial news reports. Cops make sure this information gets out, because they believe it will strengthen their narrative, provide the right context for their shooting. It’s impossible to say for sure that Wilson didn’t know Brown was a robbery suspect when he engaged him, but if he did know it, police have no compelling reason, and have given none, for why that information was withheld. Considering that mainstream media are often quick to give cops the benefit of the doubt, police identification of Brown as a “suspect” may have kept the national media from covering the story at all.

http://reason.com/blog/2014/08/15/would-police-have-withheld-claim-that-mi

At the press conference the MO State Trooper Captain was asked if it was fair to name Mike Brown as the suspect at the convenience store given that the person in the video had different shoes and different colored socks than Brown did when he was shot.

Capt. Johnson said he'd look into it.

Since they happened within 5-10 minutes of each other and neither Brown nor his friend had backpacks, are you or others really sure who the big black kid is? If you aren't sure, why should Mike Brown be named?

How long does it take you to change socks RJ? Huh?

At the press conference the MO State Trooper Captain was asked if it was fair to name Mike Brown as the suspect at the convenience store given that the person in the video had different shoes and different colored socks than Brown did when he was shot.

Capt. Johnson said he'd look into it.

Since they happened within 5-10 minutes of each other and neither Brown nor his friend had backpacks, are you or others really sure who the big black kid is? If you aren't sure, why should Mike Brown be named?

oh, so they all look the same to you?

The Ferguson Police named Brown as the suspect in the photos.

Of course they did. According to the Ferguson Police Chief (who has been on the job for over 4 years) said he didn't know anything about any problems between the black community in Ferguson and the PD. This speaks volumes.

CNN was interviewing a 18-22yo black girl. She said she had been maced in the parking lot of a convenience store. The clerk suggested she pour milk into here eyes to ease the pain. Officer Wilson came to the store. She was sitting on the sidewalk in front of the store doing as the clerk told her to do. Wilson told her to get up and "get the fuck out of here".

She tried to explain what happened. Rather than trying to help a citizen, he told her again to "get the fuck out of here or I'll arrest you". Another customer told her to sit in her car and blow AC on her eyes. As she was doing do, Wilson again told to "get the fuck out of here".

Even though she told him she was in pain and couldn't see, Officer Wilson continued to be abusive to her.

Remember, even after many days, multiple eye witnesses to the event have not been interviewed nor their names turned over to the FBI or other investigative entities. The Ferguson PD cannot be trusted about anything.

oh, so they all look the same to you?

You can't read can you. You see my name and start frothing at the mouth.

I said nothing like that.

I never try to start anything with you. Why are you trying to troll and start fights with me over and over?

The FPD did, however, post a still from surveillance footage it claims shows Michael Brown in the act of robbing a convenience store of a box of cigars. The claim is being cited by police apologists as important in the context of the shooting of Michael Brown. In my two and a half years covering police brutality issues here at Reason (and before that a year and a half of doing the same on Freedom Watch), and in my years of reading about these kinds of stories, I have never come across an incident where someone suspected of a crime who was shot by cops wasn’t immediately identified as such in initial news reports. Cops make sure this information gets out, because they believe it will strengthen their narrative, provide the right context for their shooting. It’s impossible to say for sure that Wilson didn’t know Brown was a robbery suspect when he engaged him, but if he did know it, police have no compelling reason, and have given none, for why that information was withheld. Considering that mainstream media are often quick to give cops the benefit of the doubt, police identification of Brown as a “suspect” may have kept the national media from covering the story at all.

http://reason.com/blog/2014/08/15/would-police-have-withheld-claim-that-mi

It does seem that this is pretty late to release information that would make the police look a lot better then the original reports and eye witnesses. One of the WaPo reporters neatly summed up the problem we now have.

All we know about shooting from these docs: at 12:01 pm Officer Wilson encounters Brown. 12:04 pm: second officer arrives, Brown dead
— Wesley Lowery (@WesleyLowery) August 15, 2014

The cop now has one alive witness implicated in stealing and the other dead. Given the over reliance/reaction on force to the protests I don't think its a big leap to suspect that mr police man got trigger happy.

Very very sad. Going to get ugly legally at least because some stolen cigars should not result in a dead body just like a thrown bottle or brick should not result in tear gas.

After seeing the video, it seems it is Brown and his friend. Doesn't matter legally but it will bring racists out of their spider holes.

Why is it that every time someone with the name "Michael Brown" is in the news it is bad?

Sincerely,

Michael Brown AKA SkinsNDeacs

Actually it wasn't. If you look at the videos, it's 2-4 packages at most. It's all in one hand.

RJ, just read the source material before you argue with people. It will save everyone some energy.

OK, so can somebody not named RJ please give a synopsis of what we know and of who said what to date?

I understand that the kid's friend said he was just gunned down in cold blood. What does the police officer say? What other witness testimony is there that we know about and what story does it support? I just saw an article that said there was a 3rd witness whose account partly supports both the cop and the surviving kid.

Also, has it been established that the kids were in fact the same kids in the store? Not that it justifies 6 slugs if the kid's hands are up in plain sight, but it does affect the entire reason for confronting these kids (it wouldn't have just been a random hassle of black kids). It also-- like it or not-- would affect the veracity of the story from the other kid if he was part of a robbery tandem.

There are plenty of articles summarizing the materials the police released today, or you can read the police report yourself. It's like a page and a half.

RJ, just read the source material before you argue with people. It will save everyone some energy.

If your main interest wasn't to troll, start shit and make my experience here miserable, things would be better here....

My bad, trying to fuck with me just to fuck with me is so cool and so productive.

Dude, if you just read the police report or any reputable summary of the police report, you'd know that the police say he took a case of swishers and that there was video of the incident from the store. Just save yourself some grief.

OK, so the robbery info tells us the police probably had a legal basis to stop Mike Brown that day. The million dollar question is still how it got to the point where the officer apparently felt deadly force was necessary. The police said Brown was struggling with the officer for his gun, but apparently they were 35 feet apart. Sounds like there's still quite a bit of explanation needed.

1 week to announce this is beyond unfathomable!! The officer would have claimed to the high heavens of the reason he was pulled over!

Back