• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Soccer:

Awesome video. I think I was at all those games. The VT game in the College Cup was so much fun. We brought a keg along in the car for that game to tailgate with. Obviously the national title was one of my favorite memories from my time at Wake. What an amazing season. We were unreal up front. Tracy, Lahoud, Schilawski, Arnoux.

Ha, dude, I have to keep correcting you! You weren't at that VTech game. I went with just my dad, and then we bought yours and Xtina's tickets for you from departing VTech fans! Keg must have been two years later (?) when we lost to Virginia in OT, maybe?

I'll get it right at some point.

I am mostly jealous that I wasn't a part of the keg-in-the-car road trip. But I can't for the life of me figure out when it would have been and why I wasn't there. I'm not sure we knew TexasDeac et alia until 2009, and I think we were only in the College Cup in 2007 and 2009 -- maybe I had cross regionals or a track meet? Though I think I would have skipped for the final four.

you can understand why my memory is (even worse than usually) bad about that particular game

While we're reminiscing, here is one of my favorite goals from that era. AdL giving the Childress treatment to a Maryland defender:

I am mostly jealous that I wasn't a part of the keg-in-the-car road trip. But I can't for the life of me figure out when it would have been and why I wasn't there. I'm not sure we knew TexasDeac et alia until 2009, and I think we were only in the College Cup in 2007 and 2009 -- maybe I had cross regionals or a track meet? Though I think I would have skipped for the final four.

We definitely made the college cup in 2008. That team was arguably better than the 2007 team but just couldn't find a way to score on that stupid turf down in Texas. They lost to UNC 1-0 (UNC I think practiced on turf pretty regularly and it definitely showed).

I think we had a run of 4 straight final four appearances from 2006-2009. The 2006 run was definitely a surprise, but showed that we had a lot of young talent (Cronin, Franks, Evans et. al were all freshman that year).

We definitely made the college cup in 2008. That team was arguably better than the 2007 team but just couldn't find a way to score on that stupid turf down in Texas. They lost to UNC 1-0 (UNC I think practiced on turf pretty regularly and it definitely showed).

I think we had a run of 4 straight final four appearances from 2006-2009. The 2006 run was definitely a surprise, but showed that we had a lot of young talent (Cronin, Franks, Evans et. al were all freshman that year).

Turf? Toyota stadium has always been grass. It can suck because they play high school football in there, but I don't remember turf. Did they put it down temporarily?

Turf? Toyota stadium has always been grass. It can suck because they play high school football in there, but I don't remember turf. Did they put it down temporarily?

I might just be mis-remembering. I know it took our guys well into the second half to start looking more comfortable on the surface, and the announcers definitely mentioned something about field turf. Any chance the game was played on one of the surrounding fields instead of the main field? Or maybe it was that we had had to train on field turf in the days leading up to the game and weren't used to it.

I might just be mis-remembering. I know it took our guys well into the second half to start looking more comfortable on the surface, and the announcers definitely mentioned something about field turf. Any chance the game was played on one of the surrounding fields instead of the main field? Or maybe it was that we had had to train on field turf in the days leading up to the game and weren't used to it.

I think it was just torn up from football. I was there,and I go to a few FC Dallas games a year. I bet I would remember turf. I don't know about the training leading up to the game though.

The 2007 team won the national championship, but for me, the 2008 team was the greatest Wake Forest soccer team of all time and arguably one of the best in college soccer history. They outscored their opponents something like 80-20 over the course of the season, were absolutely dominant in almost every game, I think they won their NCAA quarterfinal game like 5-0. Just got unlucky in that semifinal against UNC.

Yeah, '08 team was my favorite. Goals and goals and goals.

The greatest thing about the natty in soccer was that we beat Ohio State. Anytime Ohio State suffers I'm delighted.

The greatest thing about the natty in soccer was that we beat Ohio State. Anytime Ohio State suffers I'm delighted.

Favorite part was the OSU guy who after he scored did the "hush" thing to the partisan Wake crowd, then watching him crying at the end.

The greatest thing was Jules looking like he just survived the Roman Coliseum.

Favorite part was the OSU guy who after he scored did the "hush" thing to the partisan Wake crowd, then watching him crying at the end.

Again, another reason I wish an injury-plagued and unfulfilled soccer career to Roger Espinoza.

the fat tosu goalie was so annoying

we got screwed at the end of the 08 unc game, shoulda had a PK at the end

Last edited:
Back