• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Soccer:

That is cool. Good stuff.

It's one of those double-edged swords. Having so many one/two-and-dones is tough on a program. In many cases, the coaches may not know until late in the recruiting season or even on into summer. But, on the other hand, top talent wants to go where they are going to be seen by scouts and get to play meaningful minutes in big games. Everything we have seen so far would leave you to believe we will continue to compete and continue to attract top talent.

Next season, our team will certainly look different. I would bet we will even see some different formations. Filling Bakero's role will be difficult. He was so good, and more importantly got so good, at pestering defenses to prevent buildups out of the back, holding up the until the attack got forward, and finding the net. He was a special player his senior year.

Here is one lineup I think I could see us going towards. But, I always put together my XI, and then inevitably, we see something different or someone shines over the summer and cracks it. But, here's my early XI...

----------OMIR----------
Lapa----McMaster----Parente
-----DeZart-----Dunwell-----
Gdula--DeShiels--Raben--Folds
----------Andreu----------

Defense should be stout again. Dunwell and DeZart as holding midfielders with the ability to distribute to the speed and skill in front of them but also provide some depth and support to the back 4. Gdula, in my book, has transformed himself into a great marking back prospect in coming to Wake. I think he's going to have a great year. Hopefully, the pace in the front 4 will be tough to defend. Parente is obviously a big question mark, but I feel like he's an impact freshman that will see starters minutes from the get go.

The battle at GK will be interesting. Mundet was SO good at reflex saves. So many times he bailed us out. He's also an incredible distributor out of the back. But, as teams watch us they realize his height and our overall team height is a disadvantage. I think there's going to be a good battle there over the summer. So we'll see.

I would imagine managing the politics of scholarship distribution is a real challenge.

Can it be broken up into any amount, up to one full scholarship?

I don't know specifics, but my guess is that most guys are on either half or full rides and the rest are on books.

I would imagine managing the politics of scholarship distribution is a real challenge.

Can it be broken up into any amount, up to one full scholarship?

Yes. I'm sure WF is at least a little creative in finding other sources to reduce to the cost of attendance (like Vandy does for its baseball program).

Bakero's stock is on the up and up. Unfortunately, Ema's is dropping quick. Big questions over him coming to the combine not in game shape it seems.

Damn, lost Mark McKenzie, too, to a Philly Union homegrown contract.

It’s good having a connection to their academy with Chris Brewer, but I’d rather they stick around a bit longer, or make it to campus in Matt Real’s case. I really liked McKenzie. Good luck to him.

Edit - oops, sorry for the Haas.

Damn, lost Mark McKenzie, too, to a Philly Union homegrown contract.

It’s good having a connection to their academy with Chris Brewer, but I’d rather they stick around a bit longer, or make it to campus in Matt Real’s case. I really liked McKenzie. Good luck to him.

Edit - oops, sorry for the Haas.

There was a big article today in his hometown newspaper. While mostly about Mark and the Union, it also had some good things to say about Wake.

https://www.delawareonline.com/stor...league-soccers-philadelphia-union/1048871001/

Last edited:
Another big commit (2019) for Muuss. Nico Benalcazar from YNT and NYCFC academy committed.

Looks like we picked up a transfer from St. John’s, Alistair Johnston.

Back