• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Soccer:

I actually think we were better in '07, though more potent in '08. Going from Valentin, Opara/Phelan, Edwards to Wenzel, Opara, Fitzgerald was a huge dropoff and I think that is what did it in the end. I thought Pat Phelan was the best player in the country in '07 (Cronin right after him -- they were both great) and putting him into central midfield in the middle of the year and bringing in Opara was what got us the Natty. We probably would have won the ACCs that year, too, had Vidovich not bizarrely dropped Valentin for the second half of that game (I remember him not playing well in the first half, but still...maybe there was an injury, but I don't remember that being the case) -- BC scored very early in the second half after that change. BC was also really good that year, so fine margins and all that.

UNC was up and down over those years but always had tons of talent and gave us some of our tougher games, so I wasn't totally shocked by losing that one, but, if I recall (memory is hazy), Wenzel and Fitzgerald could have done better on their goal.

The greatest thing was Jules looking like he just survived the Roman Coliseum.

Walking into a party later that night and seeing him just taking champagne straight to his hastily bandaged face (might not have been stitched up yet, honestly) was an image that will stick with me for the rest of my life. A true hero.

Walking into a party later that night and seeing him just taking champagne straight to his hastily bandaged face (might not have been stitched up yet, honestly) was an image that will stick with me for the rest of my life. A true hero.

That night was one of my very favorites of college: hanging with that TX freshman soccer player's dad that was buying fifty or so cases of bud light at the Food Lion, the bathtub full of beer, DF2009 flipping over the beer pong table, me hooking it with the ugly field hockey girl, scootering on our Razors down University at 4 in the morning, and DF2009 wiping out and bloodying his entire face. Oh, what memories.

And yeah, Doc Martin stitched up Jules' face on the sideline as Vidovich yelled for him to get back in the game. I do think he got it re-sutured later though.

There are rules, wakephan.

fbz_867a03d23e71a890d981b5666a6498e4.jpg

That night was one of my very favorites of college: hanging with that TX freshman soccer player's dad that was buying fifty or so cases of bud light at the Food Lion, the bathtub full of beer, DF2009 flipping over the beer pong table, me hooking it with the ugly field hockey girl, scootering on our Razors down University at 4 in the morning, and DF2009 wiping out and bloodying his entire face. Oh, what memories.

And yeah, Doc Martin stitched up Jules' face on the sideline as Vidovich yelled for him to get back in the game. I do think he got it re-sutured later though.

Driving back from Raleigh singing "WEEEE ARREE THE CHAMPIONS" at the top of our lungs with the windows down because fuck it all. Coming back to get the car in the morning and discovering like 30+ beers stashed in the leaves.

Thanks, Neuro, for bumping this thread -- I've been posting on the field hockey thread. Have both games up simultaneously.

Goooooaaaaaallll Deacs! Own-goal off of a free kick from just outside of the box. Keeper punches the ball straight into the defender, and it bounces straight into the net!

Now we should hopefully be able to more successfully employ our passing game.

true but our defense this year has had trouble protecting a lead.

true but our defense this year has had trouble protecting a lead.
Sadly, I haven't had the opportunity to watch very many matches this season. I'll have to subscribe to the network next year -- it used to be free!

Back