• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

James Foley, American War Journalist, Beheaded by the Islamic State

He was a war journalist. He was doing his job...and an important job at that. Just like the military men and women he knew the danger and chose to do it anyway.

He was a war journalist. He was doing his job...and an important job at that. Just like the military men and women he knew the danger and chose to do it anyway.

Sure, he's doing his job but don't equate what he was doing with what a soldier following orders does. My point is this: if you voluntarily put yourself in these situations, don't be surprised when tragedy happens. Don't ask your government or other people to care more about you and your family than you seem to. Personally, I don't think any of his accomplishments or successes are worth him dying over. He didn't share that point of view. And that's his choice. I'd rather have him alive and well.

Horrific. Muslims themselves must put an end to this culture of death. No one else can do it for them.

That's ridiculous. You can't blame a regular person for what murderous dregs of society do.

Sure, he's doing his job but don't equate what he was doing with what a soldier following orders does. My point is this: if you voluntarily put yourself in these situations, don't be surprised when tragedy happens. Don't ask your government or other people to care more about you and your family than you seem to. Personally, I don't think any of his accomplishments or successes are worth him dying over. He didn't share that point of view. And that's his choice. I'd rather have him alive and well.

You could say the exact same thing about the person that voluntarily joins the armed forces. Sure, they are following orders but it was their choice to join the military knowing full well that it might include deployment to very dangerous places.

You could say the exact same thing about the person that voluntarily joins the armed forces. Sure, they are following orders but it was their choice to join the military knowing full well that it might include deployment to very dangerous places.

You voluntarily join the armed forces but accept the fact that you're subject to orders. And FWIW, simply joining the armed forces doesn't immediately mean you're deployed to a forward area. The fact is, when civilians willingly put themselves in the middle of ongoing armed, sectarian conflicts, they assume risks for themselves. Self accountability is the idea. And journalists are not as protected, armed, and privy to intel as soldiers are (or should be). PFC Jarhead can't just pack his shit and grab the first flight home like a journalist there. And it's no news scoop that Americans and western allies are targets, regardless of uniform.

Muslims aren't regular people?

somehow radicalism has become normalized in the middle east; that's an internal cultural shift that needs to take place. it's not like the US can force them to stop being pissed off. There are men (and women) from well off nations (US/UK) who go back to fight with these clowns. Obviously, creating stability and employment in those nations would be a big step.

And these groups have created institutionalized terror and fear among the "regular people" of these nations. When they're stoning people for adultery and hanging and beheading people for violating Sharia law, it's a little challenging to find a grassroots movement to overthrow the psychopaths. Today's allies are tomorrow's enemies. You're caught in the middle.

Islam is just going through their terrible teenage years like all these monotheistic religions seem to do. Just look at Judaism and Christianity when they were around 1300-1600 years old.

Rebellious teenager religions are so temperamental!

Islam is pretty puritanical, when it comes to sex. Bet Freud would be good for a few interesting observations on radical Islam, its sexual prudery, and its culture of death.

Islam is just going through their terrible teenage years like all these monotheistic religions seem to do. Just look at Judaism and Christianity when they were around 1300-1600 years old.

Rebellious teenager religions are so temperamental!

I seriously wrote my thesis on this in undergrad for my Religion major. Basically Islam is 800 years behind the times.

except Islam was the most open/accepting religion to other religions and the driving force for scientific advancement for hundreds of years, then shut down.

Christianity never went through that phase

I seriously wrote my thesis on this in undergrad for my Religion major. Basically Islam is 800 years behind the times.

Luckily the Mormons and Scientologists will be problems for future generations.

except Islam was the most open/accepting religion to other religions and the driving force for scientific advancement for hundreds of years, then shut down.

Christianity never went through that phase

I'd argue the 20th Century I guess? Renaissance? Have you seen a Catholic church, good lord.

As flippant as it sounds, I wonder how much this affects the male brain.

Dude, that's a Thesis. Do you have any friends that haven't gotten laid/are virgins in their late 20s? Valid point by Townie!

Muslims aren't regular people?

If this idiot and his ilk drawing hundreds of thousands of followers and taking over half of the country (or if you would prefer, flying five hijacked plans full of innocent civilians into the ground at high rates of speed, beheadings, bombings, blowing up four year old kids cheering on their father in a road race, etc., etc., etc.) are any indication, a statistically significant portion of them engage in highly irregular behavior.

When ish like this happens, how many times have you instinctively thought the perpetrator was Amish?

Back