• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

James Foley, American War Journalist, Beheaded by the Islamic State

I forgot the great Buttermilk Bombing Epidemic of the late 1990's. My mistake.

But at some point you are what you do, right? Has the myth of the very small minority had its date with the 72 virgins or not?

which phase, the open and accepting part or the shutting down part?

It produced the likes of William Wilberforce and Martin Luther King and deeply influenced the writing and mind of Tolstoy and his prodige, Gandhi. From Augustine to Aquinas to John Donne and William Blake.

Perhaps not formalized Christianity but most definitely the Figure of Jesus Christ. As Napoloeon once said "I've known all manner of men but nothing like this Jesus of Nazareth".

even with a p of .05, i don't think this is true, but thanks for at least trying to use a scientific approach

ISIS has taken over half of a country, whilst operating out of a second. Then there's also the last 40 years of history. Other than that, I guess you're hanging your hat on the millions of anomalies canard?

I am sure you were stunned and amazed to find out that this beheader was actually an Islamic Fundamentalist. What were the chances?

Really wish CNN and company wouldn't make this a multiple day 10x font bold headline. Exactly what ISIS hoped would happen. Should be handled the same way as attention-whore domestic terrorist shooters should be handled - don't give them the fame and notoriety they're killing people to attain.

isis has turned half a country into extremists?

I said they have taken over. If you want to start a different argument, you can do that. So-called fringe elements of Islam currently or recently controlled entire countries (see Afghanistan, supra), large swaths of Pakistan (present day), large swaths of Iraq (present day). Your theory is that they have done this without support/acquiescence? HITBF?

Actually, just stop talking entirely. Your premise is too needy to soak up any more time. I say good day to you.

and all i'm addressing is your "statistically significant" comment

there's a huge push to move the p value for APA and most scientific rigor up from .05 higher, as well, because of the reproducibility and data integrity problems currently plaguing science

but given even the bare minimum threshold, and assuming normal distribution (which i guess you don't), you'd be claiming there are 90 million extremist muslims in the world

that's more than the entire population of egypt, the most populous country in the region

or of the ~400 MM people living in the 16 "middle east" countries a little over one in five is a terrorist

bold claim, i'd love to see you back it up

No problem. Come by the office, I will loan you fifty cents, and you can go buy a newspaper. Pick it up, read it, and let me know what you find out.

When you're done reading that, you can go back to my original post. I didn't use the word "terrorist". But again, your emotional needs not to confront where the true bad guys are really aren't a worthy investment of time and energy. Carry on. There are people for that, but you ain't one of them. Obv's.

Last edited:
Cite your sources or admit you're making flippant, baldly false claims.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/target/etc/modern.html

Since you don't apparently feel that Islamic extremism poses a threat worthy of measurement, what's the acceptable number of beheadings in your mind? Of captured civilian airliners? Of little boys blown up cheering their father on at a road race? Of pipe bombs? Shoe bombs? Underwear bombs? Car bombs? Homicide bombs? Assassination attempts? Embassies blown up? Death squads? Women shot for the crime of reading? Stonings?

When do we hit the threshold in your mind that, collectively, these things pose a problem that isn't being internally resolved in the Middle East?

Last edited:
If this idiot and his ilk drawing hundreds of thousands of followers and taking over half of the country (or if you would prefer, flying five hijacked plans full of innocent civilians into the ground at high rates of speed, beheadings, bombings, blowing up four year old kids cheering on their father in a road race, etc., etc., etc.) are any indication, a statistically significant portion of them engage in highly irregular behavior.

When ish like this happens, how many times have you instinctively thought the perpetrator was Amish?

When you hear of a serial killer, you "instinctively" think the perpetrator is white guy. You don't see anybody say "White guys themselves must put an end to this culture of killing women and sauteing their brains in a white wine sauce. No one else can do it for them."

When you hear of a serial killer, you "instinctively" think the perpetrator is white guy. You don't see anybody say "White guys themselves must put an end to this culture of killing women and sauteing their brains in a white wine sauce. No one else can do it for them."

Yeah, I do too. Why is that?

except serial killers are almost always lone wolves. not really analogous. when the US was going through the civil rights movement, it was about changing a culture, not simply killing/detaining the leaders of the KKK

except serial killers are almost always lone wolves. not really analogous. when the US was going through the civil rights movement, it was about changing a culture, not simply killing/detaining the leaders of the KKK

Yep.

"is" vice "was"

pretty amazing people are blaming the victim and undermining the value of journalists in these areas. the flow of free, unfettered information is one of the few things that might lead to change in this region.

pretty amazing people are blaming the victim and undermining the value of journalists in these areas. the flow of free, unfettered information is one of the few things that might lead to change in this region.

Foley was kidnapped and escaped death in Libya 3 years ago. So he jumps right back into the fire. No one is saying what these journalists do isn't valued. I'm just saying their lives are more valuable. It's a calling and he's doing what he wants. Fine. But at what point do we ask who's actually responsible for him being in this situation? But you're kidding yourself if you think ISIS or al-Queda feel pressured in some way by exposure. It's what they want. These morons have been fighting over dumb shit for thousands of years. Another photo or story isn't going to change that.

Keep your little [straw] man in your pants, jh. I have said nothing along the lines of religious extremism not posing a thread. It does. A terrifying one. Just not a statistically significant one, as you claimed.

lectro's climate thread is way more terrifying

Fox News' take...the president didn't threaten to bring them to justice which fake tits McGee found repulsive and legs McMr.Potatohead lips was outraged that he didn't wear tie. Go fuck yourselves. That guy died doing something that none of you would even contemplate doing, journalism.

Foley was kidnapped and escaped death in Libya 3 years ago. So he jumps right back into the fire. No one is saying what these journalists do isn't valued. I'm just saying their lives are more valuable. It's a calling and he's doing what he wants. Fine. But at what point do we ask who's actually responsible for him being in this situation? But you're kidding yourself if you think ISIS or al-Queda feel pressured in some way by exposure. It's what they want. These morons have been fighting over dumb shit for thousands of years. Another photo or story isn't going to change that.

Exactly. And if we bomb them to kingdom come, another group of morons will rise up in the aftermath.

Fox News' take...the president didn't threaten to bring them to justice which fake tits McGee found repulsive and legs McMr.Potatohead lips was outraged that he didn't wear tie. Go fuck yourselves. That guy died doing something that none of you would even contemplate doing, journalism.

Hahahaha mcmrpotatohead

Keep your little [straw] man in your pants, jh. I have said nothing along the lines of religious extremism not posing a threat. It does. A terrifying one. Just not a statistically significant one, as you claimed.

How about your good explanation for why this terrifying threat seems to repeat itself, so often and in so many different places? By definition, "extremism" needs to be outside the mainstream. It seems to me that jihad seems to have no trouble find fertile soil in a heck of a lot of countries (even ours, see Hassan, Major). Hypertechnical, semantic arguments aside, it wouldn't hurt to hear from of the more moderate voices condemning some of their crazy. You don't see rednecks from Kentucky dance in the street after school shootings the way you see celebrations after 9/11, etc.

How about your good explanation for why this terrifying threat seems to repeat itself, so often and in so many different places? By definition, "extremism" needs to be outside the mainstream. It seems to me that jihad seems to have no trouble find fertile soil in a heck of a lot of countries (even ours, see Hassan, Major). Hypertechnical, semantic arguments aside, it wouldn't hurt to hear from of the more moderate voices condemning some of their crazy. You don't see rednecks from Kentucky dance in the street after school shootings the way you see celebrations after 9/11, etc.

man, i was on board on the first half, then the second half:

Back