• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Case Against Football

I agree to some point but I remember as a child asking my father, who is not a doctor, if I could play football, and clearly remember him saying no because of the health issues the sport brings on. He went on to say that I would not be able to walk right when I was 40, and my brain would be mush. I did not believe him so I asked my P.E. teacher, he laughed and said my father had given the best answer he had ever heard.

Maybe the extreme knowledge that football was not great for the brain is new, but they knew in the early 70’s that the risks were there.

The guys 30-40 years ago? Yeah, they got a bum deal.

The argue is predicting the downfall of the football machine, but making a moral argument against the support of it. You guys are right that there is too much money and sentiment tied up in the game for it to go down anytime soon. Doesn't mean it's right though.

The argue is predicting the downfall of the football machine, but making a moral argument against the support of it. You guys are right that there is too much money and sentiment tied up in the game for it to go down anytime soon. Doesn't mean it's right though.
But this is is moral argument:

Those who pose as the industry's critics have to pretend awfully hard that they hate violence and misogyny and greed and homophobia while at the same time promoting a game that is, objectively speaking, violent, misogynistic, mercenary, and homophobic.

OK...violence I think we can objectively agree on to some degree, but not to the degree he does. Violence in football isn't desensitizing anyone to violence. Everyone understands it's a game. The violence can be unhealthy...check. The mercenary label as an analogy for why football is full of greed and therefore bad is just stupid. It seems like he's blaming the players for seeking employment. Homophobic is a bit of a canard...everyone is over that except ESPN. Misogynistic I don't get at all.

The article pretty much fails. It's not a moral problem, it's a health problem.

Last edited:
Football isn't going anywhere. The health issues are a problem that needs to be addressed - and it will be addressed, as much as possible without completely changing the nature of the game. Improved equipment technology and rules changes will help with the inuries - as will increased education about concussions. There will still be concussions and injuries but they will be reduced and dealt with more intelligently and the game will go on.

Once a problem is recognized and acknowledged, if there are sufficient incentives ($$) for solving the problem, humans will eventually solve it.

I feel like its not just football its all sports and concussions. It mostly started with football but the impact is being spread through out. Most of us growing up just missed the trend in actually caring about head injuries and the long term future. Playing sports I have had a lot of concussions in pretty much every sport I played including football and it was never really a concern, in fact I probably had more concussions then what were actually diagnosed. People like to point to football because of the violent nature of the sport, but soccer, wrestling, lacrosse all lead to concussions. Just keep playing sports and properly diagnose head injuries and monitor returning to the field. That or bubble wrap your kid because the world is a scary place.

It will take a long, long time to unwind the money machine. People will demand football and pay for it. Corporations will keep it viable. So as long as there is the promise of a shiny pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, young men will keep going after it.

Bingo

I feel like its not just football its all sports and concussions. It mostly started with football but the impact is being spread through out. Most of us growing up just missed the trend in actually caring about head injuries and the long term future. Playing sports I have had a lot of concussions in pretty much every sport I played including football and it was never really a concern, in fact I probably had more concussions then what were actually diagnosed. People like to point to football because of the violent nature of the sport, but soccer, wrestling, lacrosse all lead to concussions. Just keep playing sports and properly diagnose head injuries and monitor returning to the field. That or bubble wrap your kid because the world is a scary place.

I know a kid who had 4 concussions from playing baseball.

Golf! That's the answer. Everyone needs to take up golf and drop all these rough sports!

Brain Trauma in 1 of 3 NFLers, per NYT:

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/09/1...ncussion-deal-are-released.html?referrer&_r=0

The National Football League, which for years disputed evidence that its players had a high rate of severe brain damage, has stated in federal court documents that it expects nearly a third of retired players to develop long-term cognitive problems and that the conditions are likely to emerge at “notably younger ages” than in the general population.
The statements are the league’s most unvarnished admission yet that the sport’s professional participants sustain severe brain injuries at far higher rates than the general population. They also appear to confirm what scientists have said for years: that playing football increases the risk of developing neurological conditions like chronic traumatic encephalopathy, a degenerative brain disease that can be identified only in an autopsy.

“This statement clears up all the confusion and doubt manufactured over the years questioning the link between brain trauma and long-term neurological impairment,” said Chris Nowinski, the executive director of the Sports Legacy Institute, who has for many years pressured the league to acknowledge the connection between football and brain diseases. “We have come a long way since the days of outright denial. The number of former players predicted to develop dementia is staggering, and that total does not even include former players who develop mood and behavior disorders and die prior to developing the cognitive symptoms associated with C.T.E.”

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_...er-chris-borland-retires-head-injury-concerns

BERKELEY, Calif. -- San Francisco 49ers linebacker Chris Borland, one of the NFL's top rookies last season, told "Outside the Lines" on Monday that he is retiring because of concerns about the long-term effects of repetitive head trauma.

Borland, 24, said he notified the 49ers on Friday. He said he made his decision after consulting with family members, concussion researchers, friends and current and former teammates, and studying what is known about the relationship between football and neurodegenerative disease.

"I just honestly want to do what's best for my health," Borland told "Outside the Lines." "From what I've researched and what I've experienced, I don't think it's worth the risk."

Borland becomes the most prominent NFL player to leave the game in his prime because of concerns about brain injuries. More than 70 former players have been diagnosed with progressive neurological disease following their deaths, and numerous studies have shown a connection between the repetitive head trauma associated with football, brain damage and issues such as depression and memory loss.

Whenever I want hard hitting football hottakes, I hit up the village vioce. Whenever I want to learn about the day to day life of an old man that is constantly shitting his britches, i hit up BKF.

The case against football:

b3esvencqaafwdn.jpg

Instead of slapping more and more gear on people, why not go less? I'd argue (with no scientific data to back it up) that keeping some McCaffrey-esque type pads with a Starship troopers inspired helmet will prevent folks from using their heads to launch, and force a change in how they play the game.

Instead of slapping more and more gear on people, why not go less? I'd argue (with no scientific data to back it up) that keeping some McCaffrey-esque type pads with a Starship troopers inspired helmet will prevent folks from using their heads to launch, and force a change in how they play the game.

Do you remember why the players have pads and helmets to begin with?

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/2015/03/climate-change-and-concussions-how-junk-science-is-turning-our-nation-into-a-pussy.html

You know, I know another head-banger named Boreland who quit on his team- Wes Boreland, the guitar player from Limp Bizkit. He tried to start a side project and now I dont know, hes dead probably. Being in Limp Bizkit was the only thing that kept structure and a countability in his life, just like being in the NFL is the only thing I think that Chris Boreland should care about. I want a guy who does it all for the nookie, not a guy who thinks he did it all as a rookie, and In MY Opinion, Chris is the one whose stuck looking like a chump, hey, like a chump.

Helmets like beachballs,
6 inches clear fluff. Only
looks weird for two years.

Back