• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Case Against Football

Conservatives generally don't side with workers on conflicts regarding workplace safety.

I don't see anyone disputing safety concerns, but there's an element seemingly interested in banning "the job" -- not sure of party -- and that certainly wouldn't help the "workers".

I haven't seen anybody trying to end football on a broad level. If you're talking about people saying they don't want their kids playing, sure.

mostly it's because conservatives think liberals are pussies and view the new rules to protect player safety as making the game pussified

Its a voluntary activity. Caveat Emptor. The idea that we never needed a disclaimer for boxing, since its common sense that boxing is bad for you head, but we somehow do for football is a pretty silly leap in logic.

Its also probably not the best idea to bang your head against the wall at noon everyday, helmet or no, but you are more than welcome to do it.

You're more likely to be sympathetic toward an NFL player sustaining work related injuries than some random worker in a plant because you see the NFL players in their workplace and have an emotional attachment to them. But essentially it's the same workplace safety issues on which conservatives typically side with ownership.

Yeah, that's a load of crap.

So you'd be as likely to side with regular Joe at the plant. Good. You're probably not as conservative as you think.

We should make all these Syrian immigrants play football without a helmet like we did when we were kids before we let them in our country !

So you'd be as likely to side with regular Joe at the plant. Good. You're probably not as conservative as you think.

I'm just saying I don't look at it that way. Everything is its own set of circumstances.

Its a voluntary activity. Caveat Emptor. The idea that we never needed a disclaimer for boxing, since its common sense that boxing is bad for you head, but we somehow do for football is a pretty silly leap in logic.

Its also probably not the best idea to bang your head against the wall at noon everyday, helmet or no, but you are more than welcome to do it.

Difference here is how aggressively the NFL is working to prevent any research or other information from getting to the public. Sure it's voluntary, but people ought to have a right to know just how damaging it can be.

I don't disagree... But I think it is fair to say that as more and more research is completed, the risks are starting to look a lot more severe than walking with a limp for the rest of your life or being in constant physical pain. Over time, I think the pool of available players (for college football, especially) is going to be a lot smaller.

I'm just saying I don't look at it that way. Everything is its own set of circumstances.

What makes this situation different than a workplace safety issue in which you'd be likely to side against the workers?

What makes this situation different than a workplace safety issue in which you'd be likely to side against the workers?

You're kidding, right?

Did I wander into the wrong forum?

We're talking about a very specific issue: Head injuries/concussions in football (and the long-term effects & impact). It's almost like you are baiting me into a discussion on some hypothetical workplace safety situation.

And FWIW, I'm not siding w/ players or owners... I was just saying that I think this is a serious issue that will impact football (at all levels) over the next couple of decades. I'd like to see a lot more research done. At some point, it is on the players to decide whether or not they want to participate anymore. I'd also suspect that we're in for a lot of lawsuits.

The work place safety piece of this is only a very small part of the "Case against Football".

At this point, NFL players and even college players are very aware of the concussion CTE risk associated with playing football. With all of the information now public, there is a strong assumption of the risk argument against adults who choose to play the sport (kind of like race car drivers and downhill skiers; there is not much of an argument right now about whether the sport increases the risk for long-term injury).

The part that impacts the most people is the war on youth football, and the declining numbers of kids that play football growing up (the growing sentiment that "good" parents should discourage their kids from playing football). That's not a workers v. management issue, but a culture issue where moms and dads are deciding to steer Little Johnny into another sport based upon the continuing public drumbeat amplifying the negatives of the sport. Don't see that as an issue that breaks along party lines.

My original point still stands... I don't see this as a political issue. You are the only one who seems to view it that way.

Maybe someday it will be. I hope not.

Difference here is how aggressively the NFL is working to prevent any research or other information from getting to the public. Sure it's voluntary, but people ought to have a right to know just how damaging it can be.

I was very surprised to see the trailer for Concussion (movie starring Will Smith) during the Panthers-Cowboys game. Feel like it was during the 1st commercial break. Also the highest watched regular season game in nearly 8 years.

Op-Ed by a forensic pathologist = liberal media

Go get em Danny.

gus.gif

Op-Ed by a forensic pathologist = liberal media

Go get em Danny.

I think Danny is probably saying: NYT= liberal media. Not much to argue about there based on their lack of editorial balance.

I think Danny is probably saying: NYT= liberal media. Not much to argue about there based on their lack of editorial balance.

Yeah, why even bother thinking critically about something ?

Back