• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

rathboneholmes.jpg

The past 3 nights, I've watched Before Sunrise, Before Sunset, and Before Midnight. Good shit. I probably liked Before Sunset the best of the 3. Watching on 3 consecutive nights, it was an effect similar to Boyhood, watching Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy age and change.

I haven't seen Midnight because I'm waiting for a time to watch all three simultaneously.

Hunt for the Wilderpeople was so good. One of my favorites of the year. It's very poignant and also very silly. It feels like a live action Pixar film. Taika Waititi's direction is quirky and fun, but also unobtrusive. The only element I didn't love were the generic keyboard music transitions which just seemed out of place. The acting was wonderful. Just a great movie all around.

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

Watched this last night, documentary on the underground (jazz) guitar legend Lenny Breau, made by his daughter. Tragic story, but the playing is other worldly.

Watched this last night, documentary on the underground (jazz) guitar legend Lenny Breau, made by his daughter. Tragic story, but the playing is other worldly.

Thanks for posting. Good stuff. I see his mother died a few years back (I think that movie was made in the 90s) at the ripe old age of 92. An interesting story that ends up the same way as a lot of jazz musician stories. I was unaware of him and his playing, but being a guitarist myself, I love stumbling across stuff like this. And you're right, the playing is other worldly.

daniel radcliffe was on graham norton last weekend. he said it was the type of movie you either really loved or hated. no in betweens.

I didn't love it or hate it, I just found it interesting.

The Accountant was excellent. One of the best movies I've seen this year. Very good story and superb acting from all involved.

Re-watched The Prestige, which I really dug the first time I saw it, because I just finished the book. It didn't hold up all that well (because I knew the prestige of The Prestige), but is definitely better than the book and basically captures all the cool of the book and distills that into two hours without cutting anything really major. The book was kind of lame, though a fun story. Still a good watch, I thought.

Some corny effects aside, Event Horizon holds up pretty well. What're y'all watching for Shocktober?

Some corny effects aside, Event Horizon holds up pretty well. What're y'all watching for Shocktober?

My three person "film club" watched Don't Look Now since it comes up on a bunch of "Best Horror Film" lists. Here is my first response:

I can see why directors love this movie (Summey mentioned it is Edgar Wright's favorite). Definitely style over substance. The pacing was off (that is being generous) and the story didn't grab me at all. The style is pretty fantastic though, I liked all the recurring themes (broken glass, water) and the flash forwards/flashbacks/cuts/etc.

Donald Sutherland just doesn't do it for me and never really has as anything other than a droll supporting character. Looks like he is swinging some serious dick though so props to him for that.

I just texted Summey "The phrase "horror film" was tossed around very loosely pre-1980." This movie was barely more of a horror film than Gone Girl or Unfaithful or something like that. I feel like if those movies came out in the late 60s we would see them on these lists. Reminds me of when I watched Suspiria and thought "wait, why do people say this movie is terrifying?"

Give me some titles of movies that are actually scary and that I might not have seen. Need to watch a real horror movie or two before October is over.

Give me some titles of movies that are actually scary and that I might not have seen. Need to watch a real horror movie or two before October is over.

70s horror movies have a different vibe and are a lot more disturbing than they are explicitly scary. Rosemary's Baby, Exorcist, Omen, Wicker Man etc. just kind of stay with you and can be pretty damn creepy if you let yourself get immersed in the worlds that they're representing. 80s flicks are kind of hard to pin down, but they're a lot more self-aware, IMO, which is great for craft and less great for actual scares. Some big exceptions, IMO, are The Shining, The Thing, Poltergeist, Nightmare on Elm Street, Hellraiser, and I'm not sure if you would call them horror movies, but I also love The Fog, Aliens, Videodrome, and Evil Dead 1-3.

I don't know what you've seen, but I find myself returning to The Descent a lot. Some more recent flicks that might fit the bill: Conjuring 1 and 2, The Witch, Creep (it's worth the wait, IMO), Don't Breathe, Goodnight Mommy, It Follows, Session 9, Antichrist, Drag Me To Hell, and - for Scream-like genre satire - You're Next.

I really want to see Kill List, Inside, and I Saw the Devil before the month is over. Any thoughts on those, Pit?

Any other recs?

Last edited:
70s horror movies have a different vibe and are a lot more disturbing than they are explicitly scary. Rosemary's Baby, Exorcist, Omen, Wicker Man etc. just kind of stay with you and can be pretty damn creepy if you let yourself get immersed in the worlds that they're representing.

I don't know what you've seen, but I find myself returning to The Descent a lot. Some more recent flicks that might fit the bill: Conjuring 1 and 2, The Witch, Creep (it's worth the wait, IMO), Don't Breathe, Goodnight Mommy, It Follows, Session 9, Antichrist, Drag Me To Hell, and - for Scream-like genre satire - You're Next.

I really want to see Kill List, Inside, and I Saw the Devil before the month is over. Any thoughts on those, Pit?

Any other recs?

Only ones I haven't seen are Don't Breath and Goodnight Mommy but I JUST suggested Goodnight Mommy because GQ called it a "verifiable pants-pooper".

I haven't see Kill List or Inside but didn't care for I Saw the Devil.

The Descent is terrifying. You're Next is awesome.

Back