• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

70s horror movies have a different vibe and are a lot more disturbing than they are explicitly scary. Rosemary's Baby, Exorcist, Omen, Wicker Man etc. just kind of stay with you and can be pretty damn creepy if you let yourself get immersed in the worlds that they're representing. 80s flicks are kind of hard to pin down, but they're a lot more self-aware, IMO, which is great for craft and less great for actual scares. Some big exceptions, IMO, are The Shining, The Thing, Poltergeist, Nightmare on Elm Street, Hellraiser, and I'm not sure if you would call them horror movies, but I also love The Fog, Aliens, Videodrome, and Evil Dead 1-3.

I don't know what you've seen, but I find myself returning to The Descent a lot. Some more recent flicks that might fit the bill: Conjuring 1 and 2, The Witch, Creep (it's worth the wait, IMO), Don't Breathe, Goodnight Mommy, It Follows, Session 9, Antichrist, Drag Me To Hell, and - for Scream-like genre satire - You're Next.

I really want to see Kill List, Inside, and I Saw the Devil before the month is over. Any thoughts on those, Pit?

Any other recs?

I recommend Martyrs over Inside, but they are both ridiculous. Kill List is awesome, but not really a horror film.

For current horror films I highly recommend: The Wailing, Clown, We Are Still Here, The Taking of Deborah Logan

Some of my all-time favorites (that you didn't list already)are: REC, Session 9, The Brood, Martyrs, Pontypool, High Tension, Splinter, Frailty, The Babadook, The Beyond,

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

Also (hear me out), Ouija: Origin of Evil, the seemingly completely unnecessary prequel to last year's utter shitpile, comes out this week and is currently at 87% on Rotten Tomatoes through 15 reviews. Shouldn't be a surprise though since it's directed by my BOI Mike Flanagan (Oculus, Hush, Absentia).

It looks ridiculous and goofy but I sure as hell will be paying to see this.

Also (hear me out), Ouija: Origin of Evil, the seemingly completely unnecessary prequel to last year's utter shitpile, comes out this week and is currently at 87% on Rotten Tomatoes through 15 reviews. Shouldn't be a surprise though since it's directed by my BOI Mike Flanagan (Oculus, Hush, Absentia).

It looks ridiculous and goofy but I sure as hell will be paying to see this.

I had just been ignoring the sequel because the first film predictably sucked, but now I will check it out. I really liked Absentia and Oculus, and Hush was pretty good.

I recommend Martyrs over Inside, but they are both ridiculous. Kill List is awesome, but not really a horror film.

For current horror films I highly recommend: The Wailing, Clown, We Are Still Here, The Taking of Deborah Logan

Some of my all-time favorites (that you didn't list already)are: REC, Session 9, The Brood, Martyrs, Pontypool, High Tension, Splinter, Frailty, The Babadook, The Beyond,

Martyrs fucked me up, man. I don't really know what to think about that flick. It's probably my favorite of the semi-recent batch of French horror flicks, though. Great recs, mdmh. I'll try to track them down (minus Clown because fuck that.)

Technically not horror but creepy as fuck. True story. Netflix it.

lol, if clowns freak you out than you really need to see Clown

Some other good horror flicks are: The Tunnel, Willow Creek, The Bay, The Mist, The Crazies (remake), Jugface, House of the Devil, Bug, The Last Exorcism, Banshee Chapter, Apartment 1408, Grave Encounters, Sinister, The Conjuring, The Collector, Stake Land

Last edited:
Martyrs fucked me up, man. I don't really know what to think about that flick. It's probably my favorite of the semi-recent batch of French horror flicks, though. Great recs, mdmh. I'll try to track them down (minus Clown because fuck that.)

Keep doubting

Re-watched The Prestige, which I really dug the first time I saw it, because I just finished the book. It didn't hold up all that well (because I knew the prestige of The Prestige), but is definitely better than the book and basically captures all the cool of the book and distills that into two hours without cutting anything really major. The book was kind of lame, though a fun story. Still a good watch, I thought.

Good article on the 10 year anniversary of The Prestige.

The problem with horror movies is that they aren't scary. Even the best ones are creepy for 30 minutes and then descend into terrible as the writers who can't get jobs in drama try to land the plane of their dumb premise.

The Independence Day sequel sucked so bad. just awful

and the guy who plays goldblum's dad is a more offensive caricature than milhouse's infamous post

The problem with horror movies is that they aren't scary. Even the best ones are creepy for 30 minutes and then descend into terrible as the writers who can't get jobs in drama try to land the plane of their dumb premise.
This. 95% of horror films totally suck. I'm a sucker for a good horror premise, such as "As Above, So Below", or "Splice", and those films with great premises end up being the most disappointing. For every 1 decent horror flick I probably watch 3-4 shitty ones.

Finally saw the new Ghostbusters and it wasn't that bad. Not great but it was fun. backlash was overblown though the cameos were dumb.

Finally saw Jason Bourne and it was decent, but it showed that the series should definitely be retired. Paul Greenhead's shaky cam is just aggravating now, and we are scraping the bottom of the barrel of Bourne's back story. Bourne should also just avoid talking to another woman for the rest of his life, as she is sure to die tragically in front of his face.

Back