• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

That's some shitty movie list that Toy Story can crack the top 6.

Watched Life after Beth last night and I enjoyed it, it was quirky and funny as advertised, but also had a cool disaster movie element that I wasn't expecting. I'm beginning to really appreciate Dan Dehaan, but I feel sorry for that kids hairline,

Just watched The Imposter on Netflix. Very interesting documentary and done in a way that blends real interviews and footage with dramatizations. About a 13 yr old boy who went missing in Texas and shows up three years later in Spain.
I thought someone else had said something about this movie but I searched and nothing came up.

I saw The Conjuring yesterday. Wife had never seen the Exorcist until Halloween, her thoughts were that the Exorcist wasn't nearly as scary as The Conjuring.

Now I gotta see Annabelle.

Do you seriously mean that you think Titanic is better than both The French Connection and Easy Rider?

I'm through 20 films on the AFI top 100 and here is how I rank them so far (watched The Apartment and The Wild Bunch out of order due to a Netflix screwup):

Pulp Fiction
12 Angry Men
Goodfellas
Platoon
Blade Runner
Toy Story
The Last Picture Show
The Sixth Sense
Do the Right Thing
The Wild Bunch
Sophie's Choice
Swing Time
A Night at the Opera
Spartacus
Titanic
Easy Rider
Ben-Hur
Bringing Up Baby
The French Connection
Yankee Doodle Dandy
Sunise: A Song of Two Humans

I have been changing the order almost every time I slot in a new movie.

Saw Gone Girl on Friday night. Women are fucking crazy.

Do you seriously mean that you think Titanic is better than both The French Connection and Easy Rider?

The spectacle part of Titanic is very, very impressive. The framing device and the acting is not so impressive but it isn't as terrible as I remembered.

Outside of the music and Jack Nicholson's performance I can't get behind Easy Rider at all. The stuff at the hippie commune is beyond pointless.

The French Connection feels very dated to me. The language (multiple casual uses of the n-word), the action (the famous car chase scene is really just two cars driving under the subway in NY for a couple of blocks), everything. I watched The Apartment (1960) last night and it felt timeless. French Connection? Not so much.

Don't really understand the hate for The French Connection. Friedkin's film bleeds tension, and that final shot remains as haunting as ever.

Just looked at the list and realized that i'm halfway through the AFI top 100, though I can't ever find the motivation to watch the films older than the 1950's. Here is my ranking of the 50 that i've seen.

1. The Godfather
2. Chinatown
3. A Streetcar Named Desire
4. Casablanca
5. Lawrence of Arabia
6. One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
7. Singin' In The Rain
8. 2001: A Space Odyssey
9. Vertigo
10. Blade Runner
11. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
12. Gone With The Wind
13. Schindlers List
14. The Grapes of Wrath
15. Jaws
16. Rear Window
17. Star Wars
18. Psycho
19. Treasure of the Sierra Madre
20. Silence of the Lambs
21. Toy Story
22. The Lord of The Rings
23. Apocalypse Now
24. The Sound of Music
25. Saving Private Ryan
26. The Graduate
27. E.T.
28. A Clockwork Orange
29. Pulp Fiction
30. All The Presidents Men
31. The Maltese Falcon
32. Taxi Driver
33. The Wizard of Oz
34. Spartacus
35. Unforgiven
36. Raiders of the Lost Ark
37. Shawshank Redemption
38. Goodfellas
39. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
40. The Godfather Pt. 2
41. The Sixth Sense
42. West Side Story
43. Forrest Gump
44. Rocky
45. Raging Bull
46. Titanic
47. Ben-Hur
48. It's a Wonderful Life
49. King Kong
50. The French Connection

Looking through the list it seems as if I've seen 85 of them. I've ranked them:

1. Apocalypse Now
2. Nashville
3. Taxi Driver
4. Citizen Kane
5. Do the Right Thing
6. The Godfather Part II
7. Chinatown
8. 2001: A Space Odyssey
9. Modern Times
10. The Silence of the Lambs
11. The Wild Bunch
12. Raging Bull
13. The Searchers
14. Psycho
15. The General
16. Dr. Strangelove
17. The French Connection
18. City Lights
19. Double Indemnity
20. Platoon
21. Sullivan's Travels
22. Rear Window
23. All About Eve
24. The Grapes of Wrath
25. Annie Hall
26. Sunset Blvd.
27. 12 Angry Men
28. Sunrise
29. The Godfather
30. Duck Soup
31. Goodfellas
32. The Apartment
33. Midnight Cowboy
34. Singin' in the Rain
35. A Night at the Opera
36. Bringing Up Baby
37. Pulp Fiction
38. Intolerance
39. Vertigo
40. Unforgiven
41. The Last Picture Show
42. Raider's of the Lost Ark
43. Blade Runner
44. On the Waterfront
45. High Noon
46. A Clockwork Orange
47. The Deer Hunter
48. The Gold Rush
49. The Wizard of Oz
50. Lawrence of Arabia
51. The Maltese Falcon
52. Gone with the Wind
53. Some Like It Hot
54. E.T.
55. Star Wars
56. To Kill a Mockingbird
57. Rocky
58. North By Northwest
59. A Streetcar Named Desire
60. The Philadelphia Story
61. King Kong
62. It's a Wonderful Life
63. Jaws
64. Spartacus
65. Casablanca
66. One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest
67. The Graduate
68. Easy Rider
69. The Sound of Music
70. Bonnie and Clyde
71. Snow White and the Seven Dwarves
72. All the President's Men
73. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
74. Tootsie
75. The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring
76. Saving Private Ryan
77. American Graffiti
78. Yankee Doodle Dandy
79. Toy Story
80. Schindler's List
81. Titanic
82. The Sixth Sense
83. Forrest Gump
84. The Shawshank Redemption
85. Sophie's Choice

Don't really understand the hate for The French Connection. Friedkin's film bleeds tension, and that final shot remains as haunting as ever.

Because they're idiots

Kanye-Shrug-300x286.jpg

meh, it's disjointed, meandering, and the dialogue is vague and nearly inaudible at points.

On a different note, I just saw Nightcrawler and it was great. A+, a top 5 film of the year for me, if not the best. Gyllenhaal is magnetic in the lead role, and it's the best of his career. The pace of the film picks up fairly quickly and never really slows down. A lot of people are comparing it to Taxi Driver, and I agree with that comparison to a point, though I honestly think that Jake Gyllenhaal is more effective in his portraying a pure sociopath. DeNiro as Travis Bickle showed some shreds of humanity for the audience to sympathize with, where Gyllenhaal is an unrelenting void. I felt like I needed a shower after the film.

Gyllenhaal putting in a better performance than DeNiro is a good place to start. We just don't see eye to eye on movies.

So you've seen Nightcrawler, and don't agree that Gyllenhaal was "more effective in portraying a pure sociopath" than DeNiro from Taxi Driver? That's fine. My opinion is that there have probably been a few films where sociopathic tendencies were more accurately portrayed than in Taxi Driver. That doesn't take away from Taxi Driver being a great film, or from DeNiro's acclaim for his role in it.

"Is Current Cinema as Good as the Romanticized 1970s Golden Age?"
http://filmschoolrejects.com/opinions/current-cinema-good-romanticized-1970s-golden-age.php

Last edited:
Back