• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

Big movie weekend. Fortunately all 3 were very satisfying.

1) A Man Called Ove - Maybe a bit on the schmaltzy side but still good character development and (Swedish) humor.
2) Moonlight - this one's got a lot of hype and believe it. A very different "coming of age" story. Added bonus - Mahershala Ali, though, as is becoming the habit, not enough of him.
3) Arrival - Loved it, refreshing sci fi story, basically what I was hoping for Interstellar to be.

Watched Green Room. Enjoyable, tense horror/thriller. Well acted, and timely given the rise of Trump/Moonz/Bobs. Not as good as Blue Ruin. #RIPAntonYelchin

watched captain fantastic over the weekend. i thought it was pretty good. if you like vigo mortensen... enjoy.

Just watched Blue Ruin.

Even when you know exactly what's about to happen, the tension is incredibly thick...

The Big Short...decently infuriating flick. The sequel is going to suck.

Wife and I watched The Meddler. Not too bad for a schmaltzy flick. Rose Byrne still hot, Susan Sarandon still hot, JK Simmons still a bawse.

caught Arrival tonight.. i was a fan of the source material and enjoyed the movie quite a bit.

i thought they handled the "twist" well, though i knew it was coming so i'm not sure if it was well hidden or not. i understood the need to add the military angle as the short story doesn't really have a climax per se, the aliens just kind of leave one day, but the climax of the film doesn't really make much sense imo and the way she can see into the future doesn't really work the same way in story...but i wasn't really bothered by it too much. great visuals and atmosphere. think the ending was a much better version of emotional resonance in a sci-fi movie that interstellar was going for.

Saw it over the weekend as well and wasn't all that impressed. I loved the concept of a linguist being the protagonist in a "why are they here" alien story, but was disappointed by the story and its climax. It smacked way too much of Contact to me (which I think is a fairly decent movie that is ruined by the ending).

That said, Adams, Renner, and Whitaker were all excellent.

3) Arrival - Loved it, refreshing sci fi story, basically what I was hoping for Interstellar to be.

I think Arrival did a fine job of extending the short story for the big screen - it had to be different for that medium, but I appreciated the short story much more than the movie. I agree that Contact is a very similar movie, and a better one imo.

Adams and Renner were great. Everyone else was mono-dimensional filler.

While technically Interstellar and Arrival had similar twists, Interstellar was an epic movie that explored so much, and one that I yearn to rewatch. I'm not itching to see Arrival again.

Caught Captain America: Civil War over the long weekend. Super meh.

Also watched Mike & Dave Need Wedding Dates. A few decent laughs, but overall mediocre. Seemed like just an excuse for Aubrey Plaza and Adam Devine to be raunchy.

Thinking of a Dr. Strange/Fantastic Beasts double feature tonight. Dunno. Maybe I'll just stay home and save 20 bucks.

A Simple Plan
Presumed Innocent

both very good. That fella that does the Indiana Jones and the Han Solo is in Presimed Imnocemt. The Sling Blade fella is in a Simple Plan with another fella that looks p familiar but I can't place him at the moment. You will recognize him.

I'm in nova (loudoun co) and might be able to catch two matinees for close to 20.

just looked and the crappy theater near me is 6 for a matinee today. alamo draft house is 10 (12 regular). Thursday the price jumps to 10.10 for the crappy (a dollar more at the nice regal) for matinees. you are approaching 15 for an evening ticket at the nice places.

Back