• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

Saw Passengers over the holiday break. I don't get the hate. Is it the greatest movie ever? Certainly not. Is it a visually appealing sci-fi flick with two strong leads that have great chemistry? Definitely.

There was a better way to end it, IMO, but I can't get the spoiler tag to work.

Suicide Squad was ok but I hated Leto as the Joker. I'm sure there's someone out there who could do the role justice after Ledger, but it ain't him.

Just got out of Manchester by the Sea. It's a tough movie. Every part of the film is great, the writing, the acting, the cinematography, the score, and especially the editing. It is not a traditional story arc - the narrative follows a broken man dealing with a family crisis over the course of a week. I expected it to be great and it was as great as all the critics have said. There are parts of the film that make you laugh while you're crying, and there are parts where you cry and wonder why the characters aren't crying.

Last edited:
Saw Sing for the kiddo's first movie on Christmas Eve. It's no Pixar, but we enjoyed it and laughed a lot. Only complaint (which I've heard from others) is that it's too long (1:48). Could definitely cut some parts and make it a bit more little kid friendly.

Geez, that film is almost 2 hours? Isn't it just singing animals?

Assassins Creed was better than I thought. Lots of cool action (expected that), wasn't complete shit (didn't expect that)

The Accountant was not what I was expecting. Thought he would be working with/against terrorist groups and shit, not a tech company.

Saw Passengers over the holiday break. I don't get the hate. Is it the greatest movie ever? Certainly not. Is it a visually appealing sci-fi flick with two strong leads that have great chemistry? Definitely.

There was a better way to end it, IMO, but I can't get the spoiler tag to work.

Agree. I actually liked it quite a bit. You could nitpick small tone things or like you say, there might have been a stronger way to end it, but overall I thought it was much better than the reviews it is getting.

Would also say the movie is marketed differently from what it actually is, but I think I preferred what it actually is versus what I thought it would be based on the advertising.

I thought Passengers was pretty good. There were some glaring sci-fi tropes, and the ending wasn't good. The alternate ending that everyone expected would have been much better I think.

I saw LaLa Land. It was pretty good. Gosling's voice is kinda weak but he can carry a tune. I would have thought the movie was better, but I didn't like the ending.

I also saw Why Him? Bryan Cranston was the perfect foil for James Franco. Zoey Duetch (Lea Thomson's daughter) is going to be a star. Franco and Key were what they were supposed to be. It was better than I thought it would be.

No, it's not as good as LaLa Land.

Finally saw Kubo and the Two Strings and it was incredible. The stop motion animation is beautiful, the voice acting is wonderful, and the story is Pixar by way of Kurosawa. Easily one of the top 10 films I've seen this year.

Kills me that my kids didn't want to see this or Moana.

This was a very good year for major release animated films. Zootopia will probably win the Oscar, but I think Kubo is a much better film.

Kubo was one of my favorite movies of the year. I hate that it's considered a box office flop, making a shade under $70M worldwide on a $60M budget.

Back