• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

Wife and I made a list of classic movies we want to watch -- either ones we haven't seen ourselves or want the other person to see. We kicked it off last night with Apocalypse Now, which she hadn't seen. She was not impressed. Thought it too weird at the end once they got to Kurtz's place.

My wife and I are through 46 movies on the AFI top 100. We just watched Rocky and she thought it felt too "dated". Seeing as there are only three movies made after 1980 left on the list I'm thinking she isn't going to find a lot of joy. That being said, she did enjoy North by Northwest right after so there is still hope.

I can't remember a more successfully executed yankbag gut punch than Manchester. It is brilliant and incredibly depressing.

You spend 2 hours wondering whether you will get to see Michelle Williams' fastball, and in the 3rd act she blows one by you. Holy shit she is the queen. Not a better working actress in her prime right now.

I left that movie practically angry that she's not more of a household name. She gets my vote too for best young actress in the biz at the moment, and there's some decent competition.

Finally got around to The Big Short and Spotlight, dug both, Spotlight a little more -- a nice, quiet no frills piece that doesn't get boring despite a lack of exploitative tension and drama. Ruffalo a little over the top, but I think it needed just a bit of that and he's usually pretty great.

Next December/January -- Moonlight and Manchester by the Sea. Maybe I'll try before then.

I left that movie practically angry that she's not more of a household name. She gets my vote too for best young actress in the biz at the moment, and there's some decent competition.

She's not young though. 35 or so I think. But yeah, she has been brilliant for a long time. From Brokeback to Blue Valentine to the Marilyn Monroe movie. She can play believable yankee trash or the hottest woman on earth equally well. Can do it all. No one is better right now.

yeah, no shit. i'm just saying that if you watch the movie with a non-film aficionado, don't be surprised if they're weirded out by the end of the movie

Basically this. She also didn't like the hacking of the water buffalo, which actually happened.

I happened to watch Apocalypse Now a few days ago. I saw it available on Hulu and it occurred to me I haven't seen it in probably 25-30 years by now and I really couldn't tell you anything about it but 1) Martin Sheen was tweaked out of his mind in the first scene 2) Helicopters playing "Ride of the Valkyries" 3) "I love the smell of napalm in the morning" 4) chopping up a water buffalo 5) "the horror... the horror".

I had forgotten all about Harrison Ford and young, rail skinny Laurence Fishburne. Also neat, that was unavailable last time I watched this, Google Maps shows the location of all the events.

The Millennial Sweetheart !

large.jpg

Saw Hateful 8 last night. Thought it was pretty meh, and just too long. Don't plan on rewatching this one.

Watched The Shallows last night, not a bad film. Funny that the film was denied a permit to shoot in Galveston, TX, which was where part of the story was based, so most of the filming ended up being in Queensland, Australia instead.

Watched The Shallows last night, not a bad film. Funny that the film was denied a permit to shoot in Galveston, TX, which was where part of the story was based, so most of the filming ended up being in Queensland, Australia instead.

#makeamericagreatagain

Back