• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

For anyone who doesn't want to drop 30 for every Criterion film, they are all streaming on Hulu plus.

This is true, but you don't get the extras, which in this case is important. Barnes & Noble is having a 50% off Criterion sale right now as well. Also eBay and Amazon Sellers Market are a good way to get them for less. And the Criterion BluRays are a work of art that you just can't get from a stream. But yeah, having them all on Hulu is awesome.

Before the Hulu streaming I had a big problem with the Criterion collection because their cost and unavailability provide a huge barrier to viewing the films in the collection. Outside of a film school library and the wayward film festival, how the is random person supposed to come upon films like Seven Samurai or the 400 Blows?

Before the Hulu streaming I had a big problem with the Criterion collection because their cost and unavailability provide a huge barrier to viewing the films in the collection. Outside of a film school library and the wayward film festival, how the is random person supposed to come upon films like Seven Samurai or the 400 Blows?
Yeah, basically what I do is just wait for the 50% off sales and get them for $20 a piece. Collecting Criterion's is a passion of mine though, the box art looks great on the shelf, and with all the extras and booklets that come with them it's really worth it. But I see your point, for the more casual viewer it's hard to justify spending that much on a BluRay/DVD. Netflix is a good way to get them, they don't have all the BR's, but if you want the actual disc, paying $14 a month for 2 BluRay's out at a time is a much better option than paying $20-$30 a pop.

Seven Samurai was on Netflix streaming for a while. There are quite a few other criterion films I can recall being on Netflix streaming.

Public libraries often have films like that. #luddite

Not going out on a limb for me to say that Keaton, Norton and Stone were fantastic, as was the cinematography. Overall, it was interesting and I admire it as a piece of filmmaking, but I didn't really hook in emotionally with it.

Dumb and Dumber To is legit funny, but you can wait for Redbox.

Slightly better than Anchorman 2 IMHO

You bros have any recommendations on literature for learning more about cinema/movie-making and/or the classics? I've been trying to expand my knowledge on the subject through actually, you know, watching the movies.. but wondering if there is additional material out there. I never had the opportunity to take any film studies classes; what does the curriculum typically look like outside of watching movies?

PM Moonz, he's got a great link to a list of underrated movies/underseen random movies. I've watched 10 of the 200 listed and all have been great. Repulsion, Near Dark and The Ninth Configuration are on the list.

Dumb and Dumber To is legit funny, but you can wait for Redbox.

Slightly better than Anchorman 2 IMHO

The desperate Dumb And Dumber To recycles the jokes of its predecessor

The best gag in Dumb And Dumber To arrives around the midway mark, when aging idiots Lloyd Christmas (Jim Carrey) and Harry Dunne (Jeff Daniels) have an unexpected blast from the past. There in front of them, in all its ragged canine glory, is the ’84 sheepdog they traded, straight up, on their 1994 odyssey to Aspen. Twenty years have elapsed, on-screen and off, since these brain-dead besties last saw their beloved shaggin’ wagon, and there’s something undeniably rousing about the sight of the two men careening down the open road again in the custom-designed vehicle, hair (and fur) to the wind. And then they go over a steep hill, the van lands with a spectacular thud, and the engine shorts. No more shaggin’ wagon. Nostalgia trip over.

That is not the best gag at all but it was pretty funny. I've noticed every review ruins several good parts that were a complete surprise to me since I saw it on Friday. It was nice to be back w/ Harry and Lloyd. YES its slightly sad and some gags fall flat but there's good stuff in there that's worth a Redbox at least.

My woman dragged me to The Theory Of Everything last night. The entire movie viewing audience were couples. It was pretty amusing. Anyway, the performances were stellar as expected. The movie itself is good, not great. I expect some nominations, though.

My woman dragged me to The Theory Of Everything last night. The entire movie viewing audience were couples. It was pretty amusing. Anyway, the performances were stellar as expected. The movie itself is good, not great. I expect some nominations, though.

Your woman?

Monogamous elc

Is elc in love?

Back