• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

Watched Lucy on cable last night. Not good. It was bad the first time I saw it, when it was called Limitless.

Also, rewatched San Andreas. As far as disaster movies go, it's mediocre at best, but great googily moogily, Alexandra Daddario. I could watch her file her taxes.

I'm certain Carla Gugino was cast as Daddario's mom solely for boob genome credibility.

Rings is as bad as the reviews say it is. Nothing new, nothing interesting added to the backstory. Half assed jump scares with loud noises.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Watched Lucy on cable last night. Not good. It was bad the first time I saw it, when it was called Limitless.

Also, rewatched San Andreas. As far as disaster movies go, it's mediocre at best, but great googily moogily, Alexandra Daddario. I could watch her file her taxes.

Agree on both counts. I thought the reviews for Lucy were good (I probably only remembered the ones quoted in the previews), so I was disappointed when I saw it. By the end it was just ridiculous.

San Andreas was better than I thought it would be, but when that little British shit bit it in Game Of Thrones, I remembered how annoying he was in San Andreas and was happy.

Just rewatched Inception for probably the first or second time since I saw it in theaters and it still confused the hell out of me.

Not only are there a ridiculous amount of theories about certain ambiguous aspects of the movie, or plot holes, but some of them completely contradict each other.

I appreciate a movie that leaves some things ambiguous as an artistic strategy, but when a movie purposefully fucks with your head multiple times and in 6 different points of a movie, and then leaves an ending up in the air, it kinda pisses me off.

Still a fun experience, I guess.

Recently rewatched two 90s Clint Eastwood classics:

Absolute Power. Super terrible, but I had no idea than Jan from The Office is the chick who gets merked at the beginning. Eastwood's facial acting when he's stuck in the closet is just second to none.

A Perfect World. I actually really like this movie and always have, despite how bad the kid is as an actor. I've never been a Costner hater though and I love Bradley Whitford's ability to play smug.

The Wizard of Lies (HBO Bernie Madoff movie with De Niro) was an absolute bore. While I didn't necessarily think it was going to be solely about the fraud and how he perpetuated it, I thought it was at least be a focus of the movie. Instead it is was a silly drama mostly centered around the period after he turned himself in/was turned in by his sons. How he pulled off this scam is a much more interesting story than a 2 and half hour examination of the guy being a self-unaware asshole when talking about what he had done.

I had another business trip to China recently and watched a bunch of movies on the plane again.

Arrival - sci-fi movie that I didn't know much about. I like Amy Adams and Jeremy Renner so I gave it a shot. Very good movie - interesting take on the aliens. Highly Recommend.
Passengers - Jennifer Lawrence and Chris Pratt in space. Little slow at times and predictable. I enjoyed it but wasn't wowed. Lukewarm recommendation
Rogue One - It's Star Wars - what is there to say? I really enjoyed it.
Office Christmas Party - mindless fun. Jennifer Aniston and Olivia Munn? Yes, please. Cliched and predictable but it made me laugh.
Girl on a Train - Really good, I thought. Emily Blunt does a good job. I had not read the book so was surprised by a couple of twists.
Little Miss Sunshine - an oldie but a goodie - I had seen parts of it but never all at one time. Great cast. Funny, touching, uplifting and quirky. Highly recommend.
Aloha - I had never heard of this movie. But, it has Emma Stone and Rachel McAdams, along with Bradley Cooper, so it was worth a try. It wasn't great and, looking back, it got bad reviews. I didn't think it was that bad - but I am an easy grader as I like almost all movies...

I had another business trip to China recently and watched a bunch of movies on the plane again.

Arrival - sci-fi movie that I didn't know much about. I like Amy Adams and Jeremy Renner so I gave it a shot. Very good movie - interesting take on the aliens. Highly Recommend.
Passengers - Jennifer Lawrence and Chris Pratt in space. Little slow at times and predictable. I enjoyed it but wasn't wowed. Lukewarm recommendation
Rogue One - It's Star Wars - what is there to say? I really enjoyed it.
Office Christmas Party - mindless fun. Jennifer Aniston and Olivia Munn? Yes, please. Cliched and predictable but it made me laugh.
Girl on a Train - Really good, I thought. Emily Blunt does a good job. I had not read the book so was surprised by a couple of twists.
Little Miss Sunshine - an oldie but a goodie - I had seen parts of it but never all at one time. Great cast. Funny, touching, uplifting and quirky. Highly recommend.
Aloha - I had never heard of this movie. But, it has Emma Stone and Rachel McAdams, along with Bradley Cooper, so it was worth a try. It wasn't great and, looking back, it got bad reviews. I didn't think it was that bad - but I am an easy grader as I like almost all movies...

watching rogue one for the first time 5 months after its release?:rulz:

Yea, not proud. I don't have a lot of movie-going friends and I don't think my wife has seen a minute of any Star Wars movie so she wasn't going...

I don't understand peeps that don't like going to the movies

i wonder how much of that has to do with the expense?

i'd speculate that bbd hasn't been inside of mainstream theater in years

theaters are expensive

lots and lots of new movies suck

most of the best movies have limited releases or short stays in local theaters outside of major metros

the theater experience is improving but you still have assholes using phones and kids being annoying

movies come to on-demand more quickly

there are lots of TV shows that offer a superior entertainment quotient

I pretty much only go to the movies if it's a big budget action movie or like a really well-reviewed Oscar type movie. And we usually go on Tuesdays because the place by us has $5 tickets then. Otherwise I've found some good streaming sites that have most new movies that I can stream on my iPad and put on my TV via AppleTV.

I decided years ago I would never be able to see all the movies I'd like to see in the theater if I always had to have someone with me, so I started to go solo. Even with that freedom though I probably still am only going to ~6 movies in the theater a year.

King Arthur was visually amazing. Traditionally average action story but I'd see it just for the cinematography. Charlie Hunam continues to do good acting.

theaters are expensive

lots and lots of new movies suck

most of the best movies have limited releases or short stays in local theaters outside of major metros

the theater experience is improving but you still have assholes using phones and kids being annoying

movies come to on-demand more quickly

there are lots of TV shows that offer a superior entertainment quotient

All good points. Don't forget the increased difficulty of going out as a parent with a young child.

Saw the Guardians sequel yesterday because I needed to kill time on a rainy day and the wife would've stabbed me if I saw Alien without her. Pretty much the same movie as the first from an experience standpoint - mindless, goofy fun, lots of one-liners, crazy space action, etc. They did a decent job of fleshing out the returning characters - although it's hard to feel any emotion for a talking raccoon - and adding in new ones.

TL;DR - if you liked the first one, you'll prob like this one.

Didn't have any plans for Memorial Day since the wife was working for most of it, so got some movies knocked out.

Get Out - Enjoyed it, but I think expectations didn't help for this one. I didn't think it rose to the level of earning 99% on rotten tomatoes. It was a B-movie horror plot with a twist of social commentary. A large plot point was very predictable. Then personally I thought Peele wimped out and didn't go for the appropriate ending (which is the alternate ending that was available when we rented on demand) for commercial reasons

Manchester by the Sea - Both it and Moonlight I thought shared the theme of a restless soul, but this pushed it more to a punishing level. Enjoyed it very much. Scene with Affleck and Williams towards the end was superb.

Alien Covenant - Woof. Not sure what Ridley Scott was doing, but if he meant to make a worse version of the movie he made 40 years ago he certainly succeeded.

A friend convinced me to go to see Snatched. She used the fact that it was at one of the last truly great movie theaters as a factor. Then apologized about ten minutes into it. This was one of the ten worst movies I've seen in the past quarter of a century or more. There are more holes in it than in a Mike Antoni defensive scheme.

This movie should not be watched even on free TV if you are too drunk to pick up the remote.

Back