• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

Killer Joe? That movie was fuckin' strange. I don't know if I liked it or hated it, but man.

Also: tonally that movie is worlds away from Mud

Killer Joe? That movie was fuckin' strange. I don't know if I liked it or hated it, but man.

Also: tonally that movie is worlds away from Mud
No, the movie "Joe" starring Nick Cage and the kid from Mud.

Saw Blue Ruin and one other movie the other night which I can't think of.

Blue Ruin was good, but a little slow. Tense as hell with very little action, that's pretty impressive.

The Signal...that's the other one. It was weird, and too ambitious for it's own good, but I liked the idea and implementation for the most part.

The Signal...that's the other one. It was weird, and too ambitious for it's own good, but I liked the idea and implementation for the most part.
I enjoyed The Signal, but the ending felt tacked on and half baked. I wish they had built the film around an idea, instead of running head first into one after 90 minutes. Another Earth is a good example of a great drama film built around a sci-fi premise.

Last edited:
I enjoyed The Signal, but the ending felt tacked on and half baked. I wish they had built the film had been built around an idea, instead of running head first into one after 90 minutes. Another Earth is a good example of a great drama film built around a sci-fi premise.

Agree with all of this. And I liked Another Earth too, though I had the "twist" ruined for me. I definitely enjoyed both films, but I'm a sci-fi/space nerd.

I really liked Birdman. I echo the sentiments already expressed, so just another person recommending it.

Julianne Moore wins the oscar for Ask Alice. Guaranteed. Depressing as hell film about Alzheimer but sh'e pretty extraordinary.

I watched Absentia last night, Mike Flanagan's previous film before Oculus (now streaming on Netflix ftw). What a talented filmmaker. It was obviously low budget (there's a list of Kickstarter donors in the credits), but filmed and acted beautifully. It's a pretty thoughtful horror/drama similar in tone to The Babadook - slow paced, atmospheric, not a ton of action but never boring. It doesn't fully resolve itself at the end, but it deserves higher than its 5.8 IMDb rating.

I watched Absentia last night, Mike Flanagan's previous film before Oculus (now streaming on Netflix ftw). What a talented filmmaker. It was obviously low budget (there's a list of Kickstarter donors in the credits), but filmed and acted beautifully. It's a pretty thoughtful horror/drama similar in tone to The Babadook - slow paced, atmospheric, not a ton of action but never boring. It doesn't fully resolve itself at the end, but it deserves higher than its 5.8 IMDb rating.
Absentia is a great mind fuck, one of my favorite horror films of 2012(?)

Just saw Tropic Thunder for the first time. Pretty fantastic, exactly my kind of comedy.

Watched Horrible Bosses 2 tonight and I laughed my ass off. I realize that it's a critical dud - the jokes are stale and immature, but I really enjoyed it. Jason Bateman and Jennifer Aniston really push the envelope of taste regarding a taboo subject and Charlie Day goes full Charlie in this one, which any fan of It's Always Sunny will enjoy. I think 2 is funnier than the original, and it's my favorite comedy of the year so far, but I'm sure to be in the minority of people who like it.

Last edited:
Never saw the first one. Couldn't understand the premise of dudes not wanting to bang Anniston.

I didn't like the first one anywhere near enough to justify another $10.

Never saw the first one. Couldn't understand the premise of dudes not wanting to bang Anniston.

Hard to get past this in the first one.

There was some good stuff in the first one tho.

Back