Page 17 of 283 FirstFirst ... 712131415161718192021222767117 ... LastLast

Thread: Official thread about the movie you just saw

Watched The Interview, Tusk, and Automata recently

The Interview was stupid stoner humor, basically a political spin on Pineapple Express. I laughed a lot, but it was a really dumb movie. B-

Tusk was fairly terrible, mainly because Justin Long's character is very annoying, and there is a weird french character who derails the flow of the film. I actually really liked Red State, but this was a shit movie. D

Automata is a dystopian sci-fi thriller starring Antonio Banderas that sort of crosses A.I. and Blade Runner. I liked the bones of the story, Banderas ' acting, and the visuals were top notch, but the plot holes and supporting cast were terrible. C-
    Draxx them sklounst

Quote Originally Posted by timdunkandthefunk View Post
    Did you ever give your thoughts on the new Hobbit?
    A fitting end to an enjoyable trilogy

Following up on The Babadook... another Aussie film, Son of a Gun, is really fun and has a lot of great action. The script is kind of meh/cliched but the execution is on point.

Foxcatcher has got great performances, but gets a little heavy handed in parts.

Deacsbravesdawgsetc
    Quote Originally Posted by John Ruskin View Post
    A fitting end to an enjoyable trilogy
    Have you seen Birdman/Foxcatcher? I am going tomorrow whilst Mrs. Go works, can pick either or.

Deacsbravesdawgsetc
    Quote Originally Posted by John Ruskin View Post
    Saw the new Night at Museum

WOOF
    I mean...the 2nd one was pretty bad. Its akin to the Santa Clause series.

Quote Originally Posted by Go View Post
    Have you seen Birdman/Foxcatcher? I am going tomorrow whilst Mrs. Go works, can pick either or.
    Birdman, then Whiplash, then Foxcatcher

But Babadook at Plaza on Ponce also highly recommended.

Deacsbravesdawgsetc
    Whiplash! yes.

Saving Babadook for when wife can watch.

Unbroken is a good movie, just don't go in thinking she's gonna hit all the points in the book (duh, I'm stupid)

going to see the new hobbit movie tonight.. hopefully it is good
    #GoDeacs #GoPanthers

#GoDeacs #GoPanthers

Birdman was fucking awesome. I need to see Whiplash, Foxcatcher, Calvary, and the Babadook before I can make my best of 2014 list.
    Last edited by myDeaconmyhand; 12-30-2014 at 10:53 PM.
    Draxx them sklounst

Finally saw I Origins, and I believe it is a wonderful follow up to Another Earth for Director Mike Cahill. The story is about a biological research scientist who finds the love of his life while trying to disprove god. The reviews for it are polarized, but I think the film does wonderful things, and presents a very unique viewpoint on love. The dialogue is strong and natural, the visual direction is interesting, and the ideas and moods that the film combines are great. If I have a complaint about the story, it's that the plot is moved along by coincidences. A-
    Last edited by myDeaconmyhand; 12-31-2014 at 01:26 AM.
    Draxx them sklounst

Rusty Larue

Official thread about the movie you just saw

Quote Originally Posted by myDeaconmyhand View Post
    Finally saw I Origins, and I believe it is a wonderful follow up to Another Earth for Director Mike Cahill. The story is about a biological research scientist who finds the love of his life while trying to disprove god. The reviews for it are polarized, but I think the film does wonderful things, and presents a very unique viewpoint on love. The dialogue is strong and natural, the visual direction is interesting, and the ideas and moods that the film combines are great. If I have a complaint about the story, it's that the plot is moved along by coincidences. A-
    Double "wonderful" makes me think you are a ghost producer. No one uses that word in real life.

cookout = blabbermouth?
    Saw The Hundred Foot Journey last night. Wifey had wanted to see it for a while so we finally checked it out. It was actually pretty good. I think the Pitbroads would like it a lot.

saw hobbit battle of the 5 armies last night.. fantastic end to a good trilogy.. just sad there wont be anymore lord of the ring movies
    #GoDeacs #GoPanthers

Saw Prisoners last night. I thought it was good but predictable. Overall it was worth the 2.5 hours I spent watching.
    Hungry

Big Brit Marling fan so I watch all her shit, but her Zal Batmanglij movies are better than then Mike Cahill ones for my taste. I Origins tried a little too hard IMO, and what you call coincidence I call contrivance. Interesting ideas though.

Primary OGB Benefactor
    I saw Top Five, the new Chris Rock and Rosario Dawson movie, a few days ago. Really enjoyed it. Better and funnier than Birdman with a similar premise.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuck Your Couch View Post
    Big Brit Marling fan so I watch all her shit, but her Zal Batmanglij movies are better than then Mike Cahill ones for my taste. I Origins tried a little too hard IMO, and what you call coincidence I call contrivance. Interesting ideas though.
    I agree with that to an extent. Contrivance is hard to avoid in science fiction though, especially with a 90 minute runtime. If scientific discovery is used as a major plot point, it's hard to portray a realistic time line for it without piling on other devices like exposition and time lapse.
    Draxx them sklounst

PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    Quote Originally Posted by BiffTannen View Post
    I saw Top Five, the new Chris Rock and Rosario Dawson movie, a few days ago. Really enjoyed it. Better and funnier than Birdman with a similar premise.
    Both are on top of my need to watch list. Interesting that Rock and his wife announced their divorce this week.

Quote Originally Posted by myDeaconmyhand View Post
    Birdman was fucking awesome. I need to see Whiplash, Foxcatcher, Calvary, and the Babadook before I can make my best of 2014 list.
    Got a few more to watch and then I'll start the thread. Should be in a week or so. My list is pretty much already set though.