• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

Watched The Interview, Tusk, and Automata recently

The Interview was stupid stoner humor, basically a political spin on Pineapple Express. I laughed a lot, but it was a really dumb movie. B-

Tusk was fairly terrible, mainly because Justin Long's character is very annoying, and there is a weird french character who derails the flow of the film. I actually really liked Red State, but this was a shit movie. D

Automata is a dystopian sci-fi thriller starring Antonio Banderas that sort of crosses A.I. and Blade Runner. I liked the bones of the story, Banderas ' acting, and the visuals were top notch, but the plot holes and supporting cast were terrible. C-

Following up on The Babadook... another Aussie film, Son of a Gun, is really fun and has a lot of great action. The script is kind of meh/cliched but the execution is on point.

Foxcatcher has got great performances, but gets a little heavy handed in parts.

Have you seen Birdman/Foxcatcher? I am going tomorrow whilst Mrs. Go works, can pick either or.

Birdman, then Whiplash, then Foxcatcher

But Babadook at Plaza on Ponce also highly recommended.

Whiplash! yes.

Saving Babadook for when wife can watch.

Unbroken is a good movie, just don't go in thinking she's gonna hit all the points in the book (duh, I'm stupid)

1292013213135.jpg

Birdman was fucking awesome. I need to see Whiplash, Foxcatcher, Calvary, and the Babadook before I can make my best of 2014 list.

Last edited:
Finally saw I Origins, and I believe it is a wonderful follow up to Another Earth for Director Mike Cahill. The story is about a biological research scientist who finds the love of his life while trying to disprove god. The reviews for it are polarized, but I think the film does wonderful things, and presents a very unique viewpoint on love. The dialogue is strong and natural, the visual direction is interesting, and the ideas and moods that the film combines are great. If I have a complaint about the story, it's that the plot is moved along by coincidences. A-

Last edited:
Finally saw I Origins, and I believe it is a wonderful follow up to Another Earth for Director Mike Cahill. The story is about a biological research scientist who finds the love of his life while trying to disprove god. The reviews for it are polarized, but I think the film does wonderful things, and presents a very unique viewpoint on love. The dialogue is strong and natural, the visual direction is interesting, and the ideas and moods that the film combines are great. If I have a complaint about the story, it's that the plot is moved along by coincidences. A-

Double "wonderful" makes me think you are a ghost producer. No one uses that word in real life.

Saw The Hundred Foot Journey last night. Wifey had wanted to see it for a while so we finally checked it out. It was actually pretty good. I think the Pitbroads would like it a lot.

saw hobbit battle of the 5 armies last night.. fantastic end to a good trilogy.. just sad there wont be anymore lord of the ring movies

Saw Prisoners last night. I thought it was good but predictable. Overall it was worth the 2.5 hours I spent watching.

Big Brit Marling fan so I watch all her shit, but her Zal Batmanglij movies are better than then Mike Cahill ones for my taste. I Origins tried a little too hard IMO, and what you call coincidence I call contrivance. Interesting ideas though.

I saw Top Five, the new Chris Rock and Rosario Dawson movie, a few days ago. Really enjoyed it. Better and funnier than Birdman with a similar premise.

Big Brit Marling fan so I watch all her shit, but her Zal Batmanglij movies are better than then Mike Cahill ones for my taste. I Origins tried a little too hard IMO, and what you call coincidence I call contrivance. Interesting ideas though.
I agree with that to an extent. Contrivance is hard to avoid in science fiction though, especially with a 90 minute runtime. If scientific discovery is used as a major plot point, it's hard to portray a realistic time line for it without piling on other devices like exposition and time lapse.

I saw Top Five, the new Chris Rock and Rosario Dawson movie, a few days ago. Really enjoyed it. Better and funnier than Birdman with a similar premise.

Both are on top of my need to watch list. Interesting that Rock and his wife announced their divorce this week.

Back