• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

What didn't people like about Three Billboards? Andy Greenwald said he absolutely hated it but I missed what his reasons were

Though Shape of Water is in the middle of my GDT rankings, it's still very good and I don't have a problem with it winning, based on the movies I've seen. Not saying I'd rank it #1, but nothing was clear cut the best.

I think 2015 was a down year. Spotlight wasn't really that good, and the nominees were pretty meh top to bottom. I'd probably have gone with Mad Max or Ex Machina (which wasn't even nominated, the fuks) that year, but the Academy hates sci-fi

edit: oh shit that year had Inside Out too

What didn't people like about Three Billboards? Andy Greenwald said he absolutely hated it but I missed what his reasons were

Libtards + cop-bashing = what's not to hate?

Haven't seen it, but if awards speeches are any judge, Frances McDormand would be a much better POTUS than Oprah.

I though the acting, writing and directing were excellent, but that it was a depressing story.

Saw "A Wrinkle In Time" last night. I don't have kids, so I'm not sure what age groups can handle what, but I'm guessing the target is the same as the books: young teenagers. I could see nerdy teenagers who like the book liking the movie. As an adult however, it's very meh. It has a really cool and diverse cast, mediocre special effects (but with lots of scenes that would probably make it worth 3D if you're taking kids and aren't burned out on 3D movies), but it's very blatantly Disney. Lots of corny song choices that constantly remind you that you're practically watching a kids film. Overall, I'd say a B-

I saw so many better movies (and didn't see a bunch). It was fine, and not bad, but incredibly meh.

I wife saw it and given the hype about it and her relationship with her mom, I assumed she would like it. She thought it was meh.

Power Rangers was pretty bad. The nostalgia factor made it bearable for me, though. Some of the reinterpretations were good: Elizabeth Banks/Rita, Bill Hader/Alpha, and the diversity of the Rangers. But they could’ve done so much more with Goldar, the zords, and especially the megazord.

Even though the script was awful, they’ve got the creation story out of the way and I think they could make some sequels that focus on the cool shit - fighting and mechs. I’d watch it for free whenever it landed amazon prime.

"Loving Vincent" is an incredible visual achievement. Every frame is an oil painting using the style of van Gough. That's right, EVERY frame, all 65,000+ of them, was hand painted.

All other elements of the movie are so overshadowed by how it's presented that I can barely comment on story, characters and acting. Truth be told, sometimes I'd be so caught up with the images that I'd have to remember to pay attention to what was going on.

You can rent it on Amazon Prime now but if your local art house cinema is still playing it, it's worth a big screen experience. Unless you have some 8k monstrosity at home, then it'll probably be better there.

The King's Speech beating The Social Network that year was a complete travesty.

I thought King's Speech was great and Social Network was extremely average. Different strokes for different folks.

We just watched Three Billboards last night and loved it! Sad story, but had funny moments and just seemed very "real". Acting was excellent esp. Frances McDormand, Sam Rockwell, and Woody Harrelson. I can see why they won. My son (8th grader w/his friends) just saw A Wrinkle in Time and they all said it was horrible.... Take that for what it's worth on the 8th grade meter.

Anyone who comes around here and admits seeing Wrinkle in Time should be skinned alive

Want to see it, but am a little skeptical.

Loved the books, but a lot of what makes the books good is that way that it's written, which I don't think translates well to the screen. The plot itself is kind of weird and erratic, but what makes the story is its rhythm and language - which more so than the plot unlocks discussions of good and evil and our own culpability/part to play in the grand narrative. Characters are deep and flawed, but that is shown much more through inner-monologue than their actions.

Interested to see was DuVernay can do with it. I'll see it (and take the kids), but am not optimistic.

Back