• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

I'm cool, i"m just saying there are a lot of articles that RSF could have read instead of talking out of his ass and trying to clown me, when all I did was describe Movie Pass's current business model:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/26/business/media/moviepass-subscription-service-tickets.html
"MoviePass believes it can make money by striking bulk ticket pricing partnerships with theaters; charging studios fees to promote new films to members; and perhaps even growing big enough (20 million subscribers is a goal) to demand a slice of concession revenue, although Mr. Lowe appears, for now at least, to have backed away from that particular aspiration.
“It’s really a mistake for people to think that we’re after their concessions,” he said."

https://newrepublic.com/article/147416/moviepass-doesnt-know-make-money-yet
"Theater chains like AMC are understandably concerned about MoviePass’s potential to devalue ticket prices, which have dramatically escalated over the past few years. MoviePass’s goal is to scale up as quickly as possible, then use its newfound leverage to extract concessions from theaters. The hope is that MoviePass will become a layer between theaters and moviegoers, as well as between those moviegoers and restaurants and services like Uber. In its skirmish with AMC, MoviePass may have been testing the waters for a deal now, before MoviePass theoretically grows so big that it could disrupt the industry entirely."

https://www-vox-com.cdn.ampproject....rvive-theater-make-money-unlimited-cancel-amc

For a struggling theater industry, that could be a boon. The National Association of Theatre Owners recently indicated that the number of tickets sold in the second quarter of 2018 fell 6 percent from the first quarter, and that US movie admissions in 2017 fell 6 percent, for the lowest earnings since 1995. The industry is in trouble, and it doesn’t seem like adding comfier chairs and better food is going to save it if à la carte ticket prices keep going up.
So it makes sense for a subscription service to evolve to compete with that older model. And even if MoviePass fails, the model it’s operating on is already being tested by other theaters. Some cinemas (especially small and independent theaters in locations that have a devoted filmgoing audience) have started membership programs that give subscribers access to discounted or free tickets and other special events.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/16/technology/moviepass-economy-startups.html

"If you’re still skeptical, I don’t blame you. It used to be that in order to survive, businesses had to sell goods or services above cost. But that model is so 20th century. The new way to make it in business is to spend big, grow fast and use Kilimanjaro-size piles of investor cash to subsidize your losses, with a plan to become profitable somewhere down the road...

...Silicon Valley wrote the playbook for spending money in pursuit of growth, and the tech industry remains a hotbed of fast-growing yet unprofitable companies. Uber, which is expected to go public next year, reportedly lost $4.5 billion last year as it sought to expand internationally and fought price wars with competitors including Lyft. Snap lost $3.4 billion last year, its first as a public company. Airbnb just had its first profitable year after a decade of investor-backed losses.
But the smell of burning cash has spread beyond Silicon Valley. Spotify, the popular music streaming service based in Sweden, lost $1.5 billion last year, even as it continued to add millions of users. New York-based Blue Apron, the meal-kit delivery service that conducted one of last year’s most-watched initial public offerings, has not yet had a profitable quarter. ADT, the home-security company based in Boca Raton, Fla. that went public this year, posted a $157 million loss last quarter...

...MoviePass’s business model — which Slate described as “creatively lighting money aflame in order to subsidize the movie-going habits of some 3 million customers” — has turbocharged its growth. And the company maintains that it can make money by striking revenue-sharing deals with theater chains, or charging movie studios to advertise inside its app."

I had read 3 of those 4 articles before posting yesterday. None of them feature any actual facts or insight, beyond the same limited talking points from MoviePass itself. One of the articles is literally titled "MoviePass Doesn't Know How to Make Money... Yet," which doesn't seem like an especially good thing for a company to not know how to do, but hey.

You seem to have caught feels at some point here, for some reason, so I'll back off. I was just trying to get you to be reasonably skeptical about a company whose apparent business model revolves around flailing maniacally, spouting off incredibly optimistic growth projections (they want to get to 20 million subscribers! no shit!) while they hemorrhage money, with no planned end in sight. I understand that you do not work for the company.

I had read 3 of those 4 articles before posting yesterday. None of them feature any actual facts or insight, beyond the same limited talking points from MoviePass itself.

You seem to have caught feels at some point here, for some reason, so I'll back off. I was just trying to get you to be reasonably skeptical about a company whose apparent business model revolves around flailing maniacally, spouting off incredibly optimistic growth projections (they want to get to 20 million subscribers! no shit!) while they hemorrhage money, with no planned end in sight. I understand that you do not work for the company.

#siliconvalley

The concept that ticket sales have dropped 6% from Q1 2018 to Q2 2018 has major problems. Q2 is not over and the biggest Q2 (Avengers had only been out a week when that article was published) movies are just coming out. Plus, Black Panther came out in Q1 for over $600M itself.

There seem to be a couple of bits of that analysis missing, but I guess we'll just have to accept it as is.

Also, what about the actor who just slays it against certain competition ? Is that an outlier or should we expect him to regress to the mean eventually ?

I guess this is what happens to this thread when the only movies that are out are comic book movies that have their own threads.

Finally saw Justice League. Much better than I thought it was going to be, and much better than BVS and suicide squad. I know that isn't saying much, but I was expecting it to be really bad.

Big weekend for documentaries. Or perhaps "documentaries". I saw RBG and Pope Francis - A Man of His Word. I quite enjoyed both, but RBG was clearly by fans for fans (and I'm a fan). The Pope one was a bit different than most bio docs, it didn't really dig into his past and achievements, but was mostly about his message. I'm not Catholic, or religious at all, but it was still inspirational. Both movies are Trumpists nightmares, which gave each one +1 point.

Watched Thor Ragnarok and Doctor Strange over the weekend, since we'll likely try to catch Infinity War in the next few days. Thor was pretty fun with some great cameos. Still pretty weird to see people like Hopkins and Blanchett in those silly costumes. I guess that's how actors get a fat check these days...

Doctor Strange was kind of a mess. Maybe it's the time-space shifting source material, but it just wasn't all that compelling. And I generally enjoy Bembledot Cucumberpatch's work.

Saw Breaking In recently. We were, without exaggeration, the only white people in the theatre. It was not good. But not too bad either.

Just watched Annihilation finally. Loved it. It's not without issues, but I like Garland so I was predisposed to like it. I'm definitely "in" on it. Bought it so I could watch it again in a couple of weeks.

Finally caught Black Panther. Enjoyable like most Marvel movies, but I was annoyed by the obvious CGI. So many years since that first Spider Man movie came out and they still haven't figured out how to make a jumping CGI superhero look realistic. Also, the scene with the two of them falling into the mine and fighting was LOL bad. Reminded me of a similar LOL bad scene in one of those Hobbit movies. The plot and bad guy were consistent with other superhero movies in terms of having bad plots and over-the-top baddies. The humorous bits were a bit clunky at times, but at least they didn't go overboard like with Ragnorok, which was basically slapstick with action. I know a lot was made about the politics of the movie, but I didn't find it to be distracting. I do think that its messaging probably got the movie better reviews than it deserved though. Angela Bassett still looks hot. It wasn't a top notch Marvel movie or even an A. B minus overall.

Finally caught Black Panther. Enjoyable like most Marvel movies, but I was annoyed by the obvious CGI. So many years since that first Spider Man movie came out and they still haven't figured out how to make a jumping CGI superhero look realistic. Also, the scene with the two of them falling into the mine and fighting was LOL bad. Reminded me of a similar LOL bad scene in one of those Hobbit movies. The plot and bad guy were consistent with other superhero movies in terms of having bad plots and over-the-top baddies. The humorous bits were a bit clunky at times, but at least they didn't go overboard like with Ragnorok, which was basically slapstick with action. I know a lot was made about the politics of the movie, but I didn't find it to be distracting. I do think that its messaging probably got the movie better reviews than it deserved though. Angela Bassett still looks hot. It wasn't a top notch Marvel movie or even an A. B minus overall.

2ff.gif

The 70mm cut of 2001: A Space Odyssey is astonishing. I had always thought it was a great movie with some dull bits. On a big screen, and by that I mean a screen appropriate for 70mm film, equipped with a corresponding sound system, there are no dull parts. In fact what I had considered dull (the trippy part at the end, for example) is mesmerizing. If you like this movie already and this cut comes nearby, make effort to see it.

Here's some technical details about this cut in case you're interested. https://news.avclub.com/2001-a-space-odyssey-returns-to-theaters-in-70mm-for-i-1824281446

So I took a shot at this redbox movie on a whim, Game Night...quite funny, wholly surprised as much as I like it. Worth a recommendation.

Back