• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

So I took a shot at this redbox movie on a whim, Game Night...quite funny, wholly surprised as much as I like it. Worth a recommendation.

I second that. A couple guys I know had the exact take you did, so I watched it based on that. They weren't expecting much and were pleasantly surprised. I was expecting kind of your typical crass adult comedy, but it's really more of a goofy comedy. At 100 minutes, it's a good way to pass the time.

Landry from Friday Night Lights was fucking hysterical in Game Night. Very enjoyable flick.

Watched Thor Ragnarok and Doctor Strange over the weekend, since we'll likely try to catch Infinity War in the next few days. Thor was pretty fun with some great cameos. Still pretty weird to see people like Hopkins and Blanchett in those silly costumes. I guess that's how actors get a fat check these days...

Doctor Strange was kind of a mess. Maybe it's the time-space shifting source material, but it just wasn't all that compelling. And I generally enjoy Bembledot Cucumberpatch's work.

I realize I'm in the minority here, but holy crap was Infinity War bad...

I realize I'm in the minority here, but holy crap was Infinity War bad...

I didn't think it was terrible, but I didn't love it. I found it felt incredibly long and I was pretty bored with it by about halfway through.

I didn't think it was terrible, but I didn't love it. I found it felt incredibly long and I was pretty bored with it by about halfway through.

I just don't understand how you can try to create drama with all those characters dying when you've already revealed that you're going to make another 82 movies that feature them prominently. All the Guardians of the Galaxy are dead, but Vol 3. of that franchise is already on the schedule. The only one that *almost* got me was Spiderman, but the sequel to his movie? Also already scheduled.

Also the fact that the whole thing turned on a hissy fit from Star-Lord was infuriating.

I just don't understand how you can try to create drama with all those characters dying when you've already revealed that you're going to make another 82 movies that feature them prominently. All the Guardians of the Galaxy are dead, but Vol 3. of that franchise is already on the schedule. The only one that *almost* got me was Spiderman, but the sequel to his movie? Also already scheduled.

Also the fact that the whole thing turned on a hissy fit from Star-Lord was infuriating.

it's almost like it's a comic book movie where people die but don't really die all the time and fantastic things happen with regularity. also human beings get punched with power to crush concrete and get up.

Aarrgghhh. It makes me so angry that people can fly and turn into green monsters and manipulate time and space! I mean, c'mon. Not believable! Sorry!

it's the movie's fault for making the powers of the infinity stones totally unknowable but I just assumed it was a plot device for part two, not "they're killing Black Panther~!!??!!?"

a classic "how will the get out of this jam???? same bat time, same bat channel !"

I assume you’re joking about the powers being unknowable. Early in the film, Thanos says what he plans to do with the stones and at the end he does it.

I assume you’re joking about the powers being unknowable. Early in the film, Thanos says what he plans to do with the stones and at the end he does it.

really? what does the Soul stone do? what do any of them do? one of them allows the user to alter the image of reality, or actual reality? what does the power stone/tesseract actually do, just shoots energy blasts? because Loki used it for mind control.

i get that they're macguffins but it's a direct path to "what the hell is happening at the end of IW"

the time stone can let users manipulate time but also view infinite time (and maybe transport in time?)

Doesn’t even know that Loki used the, oh I don’t know maybe, the mind stone to control minds not the power stone.

that's a good point. i thought the tesseract was in his staff but that's clearly dumb.

what about ronan's stone - that was the power stone...right? OK so that one gives the user the ability to....uh... vs the tesseract

the point is it doesn't really matter - getting the stones makes you powerful, which is fine but as a narrative device it was confusing for literally everyone watching the movie when you use the stone to kill people (or whatever happens). CantStand is right that it was a little silly to imply they were dying, though i'm not sure that's what they were going for.

Space stone, travel through space as seen by opening big alien portal.

Mind stone control minds

Power stone- power to destroy planets and power.

I agree that for central plot devices they aren’t well explained but if they wanted you to know the details they would have put them in the movie.

Recent viewings were:

Hotel Artemis - For a cast that always had multiple people from my "I really like this actor/actress" list for each and every scene, the end result was a bust. Dull, derivative (it's the John Wick hotel in hospital form), and nonsensical, I take solace hoping that the dismal box office means the franchise they seem to be trying to launch is DOA.

Hereditary - This a very cleverly constructed movie, starting from the first 15 seconds. It's been a while since a movie made me say "I need to rewatch to catch more hints". The resolution made me say "hmm" but upon further reflection, I was fine with it. It's the way the story is told that makes it, as well as the performances. The family minus Gabriele Byrne were all amazing. Byrne sometimes forgot he wasn't playing an Irishman. Anyway, I'd say go see it before there's too much water cooler talk about it.

Won't You Be My Neighbor - It's amazing. GFY to anyone that says otherwise. Mr. Rogers would staunchly disapprove of that but I don't care.

Back