• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

I'm hesitant to put it in a box labelled "horror". It's much more than that. There are some moments that go "BOO!" but that's not what I found interesting about it. There's a lot of progressive tension and certainly psychological horror.

To be frank, I can't claim to be a good judge of scary, that type of movie isn't in my wheelhouse. For example, I finally watched Paranormal Activity recently and was bored out of my skull. That's supposed to be the contemporary standard for scary, from what I understand, and I was unmoved.

Please give me a spoiler free report
I really enjoyed it. It's very tense throughout, highlighting the worst aspects of family, and tragedy. You will enjoy the creepy details and watching the puzzle pieces come together. You already know its not a traditional "jump scare" type movie, so most likely you will hear the stupid audience talk through the slow parts and laugh at the tense moments. Toni Collette is amazing, she really carries the film with her face. The last 15-20 minutes are a rollercoaster ride. I believe that this film had 4 main inspirations: Don't Look Know, Rosemary's Baby, The Exorcist, and House of the Devil.

Cinema Score is a terrible way to evaluate a film - it's basically just a measurement of how happy a random audience member is afterwards. Any film that challenges intelligence or patience receives a negative score from the average rube. The common complaint "It was weird and boring, I need something to jump out and make a loud noise every 5 minutes because I have the attention span of a toddler."

See also:

6691569349165056.png

men of the people: asking people if they actually liked a movie is a bad way to judge movies

There’s no fucking way MDMH doesn’t love himself some Olive Garden, spreads extra butter on the breadsticks to push them to 200 calories a pop.

Where did OliveGardenDeac go? He was an interesting guy.

Really enjoyed Game Night. A few great laugh out loud scenes. The scene where Rachel McAdams tends to Bateman's gunshot wound is perfection.

Hereditary is the best American film I’ve seen in a couple of years. It is so well crafted and unexpected. I actually became emotional during the closing credits which are accompanied by the perfect song.

Influenced by many masterpieces and cult classics including “The Shining” and “Clean, Shaven.”

I’m at a loss for words, actually. It’s that good.

Horror is one of the great genres and this movie deserves its place among the master works.

I’m in the extreme minority with Game Night. I was looking forward to it - everyone seems to like it; critics enjoyed it. Watched it finally. Meh.

MoviePass is coming in clutch this summer. Saw Oceans, thought it was entertaining but overall okay. The real winner is Incredibles 2. Super fun movie and rather funny.

wife was watching some dumb sandra bullock/hugh grant vehicle last night, Two Weeks. had a trump cameo !

i remember that movie, it came out right around my mom's birthday and she made us all go see it. right around the time the two towers came out, too

Back