• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

Saw Hobbit: 5 Armies last night in High Frame Rate 3D. Was excellent. I'm totally used to the HFR now, wish other films would use it.

I liked the way Jackson tied it all up and really led us into FOTR, made me wanna go back and watch those. I wonder if he'll give the George Lucas treatment to the original trilogy in 10-15 years?

Btw...his daughter got hot.

I saw The Imitation Game today. Cumberbatch will likely win the Oscar. Keira Knightly is destined one of those stars that is huge for 30+ years. She is very talented and incredibly likable.

The story was very well presented.

The Imitation Game is a definite Best Picture contender.

I hope Chef gets a nomination. It would be great to have a well done feel good movie get some respect.

Saw The Hobbit 3, The Equalizer, and Tammy.

Hobbit was 2 hour long battle scene. Characters were dull, CGI was bad, same old shit. Peter Jackson could have made the entire movie by simply recutting his previous 5 movies and no one would have noticed. I did enjoy Martin Freeman's acting and Evangeline Lilly is still gorgeous. I give it a C-.

The Equalizer was alright. Denzel was silent monk (Man on Fire) Denzel instead of smart ass (2 Guns) Denzel. I enjoyed the direction and the creative kills, but it was super predictable and you could drive a truck through the plot holes. Denzel and Liam Neesons movies basically run together now as grizzled old former military vigilantes who are too old for this shit. I give it a C.

I expected Tammy to be terrible, basically a repackaged Identity Thief, but it wasnt. Tammy was much darker and more depressing than I expected, with odd random comedic bits built in. It reminded me of The Jerk with Steve Martin, but without the charm and naivety. Tammy knows that she is a white trash idiot, but she's endearing and sweet, so watching her struggle is more sad than funny. There is one very funny call back to East Bound and Down where Steve Little watches on as Melissa Mccarthy rides a sweet jet ski with an American flag shirt and Kenny Powers sunglasses.
I give Tammy a C+ for using unusual tones and beats.

Last edited:
Inherent Vice was outstanding and is a can't miss film if you're into Pynchon and/or film noir. It reminded me of a combination of two of my favorite LA films: Chinatown and Mulholland Drive. It's beautifully shot, incredibly acted (Josh Brolin, in particular), and Paul Thomas Anderson's adaptation is just masterful. Tonally, it's wildly unpredictable: hilarious, suspenseful, confounding, erotic, etc. and sometimes all at once.

I also watched I Origins and I think I agree with mdmh on this one. I really liked the film, even though I found it to be frustratingly inconsistent at times. It's contrived and convenient, for sure, but in the way that made Tom Twyker's (i.e Run Lola Run, Princess and the Warrior, Heaven, etc.) or Kieslowski's films (i.e. Red and Blue) so enjoyable. I'm not the biggest Michael Pitt fan, but he does good work and Brit Marling is awesome. The script is all over the place, but represents (for me) the best kind of science fiction, in so far as I haven't stopped thinking about it since the credits rolled. I'd only recommend it if you're a fan of the Cahill/Batmanglij/Marling team, the above directors, or science fiction that's heavier on story than special effects, but I really enjoyed it.

Rewatching the two towers. The original trilogy is a masterpiece.

I really think that Jackson did the hobbit on purpose

slick fake weird because it's just a slight children's book

I expected Tammy to be terrible, basically a repackaged Identity Thief, but it wasnt. Tammy was much darker and more depressing than I expected, with odd random comedic bits built in. It reminded me of The Jerk with Steve Martin, but without the charm and naivety. Tammy knows that she is a white trash idiot, but she's endearing and sweet, so watching her struggle is more sad than funny. There is one very funny call back to East Bound and Down where Steve Little watches on as Melissa Mccarthy rides a sweet jet ski with an American flag shirt and Kenny Powers sunglasses.
I give Tammy a C+ for using unusual tones and beats.

Yeah, you know this already, but I sort of enjoyed Tammy. It really wasn't what I was expecting. The scene on the park bench (or really, any scene where McCarthy and Surandon were just allowed to riff and ad-lib) was pretty fucking funny.

Inherent vice is a mess. Some good acting, by Brolin and the new girl, but overall it's about an hour too long and just really drags. Maybe PTAs worst effort so far.

The Hobbit 3 was terrible. Not as bad as the 2nd one, which was beyond terrible, but it was terrible.

Saw Almost Famous for the first time today. Good movie, probably would've been more impressed if I saw it as a teenager when it came out, but it was good.

I saw The Imitation Game today. Cumberbatch will likely win the Oscar. Keira Knightly is destined one of those stars that is huge for 30+ years. She is very talented and incredibly likable.

The story was very well presented.

The Imitation Game is a definite Best Picture contender.

I hope Chef gets a nomination. It would be great to have a well done feel good movie get some respect.

Haven't seen The Imitation Game yet, but really want to. I'm fascinated by Turing's work.

Agree 100% on Chef. Very much enjoyed that movie.

Chef was very good until the last 5 minutes, that ending was terrible.

Rewatching the two towers. The original trilogy is a masterpiece.

I really think that Jackson did the hobbit on purpose

slick fake weird because it's just a slight children's book

Making it 3 movies was ridiculous but I enjoyed it a lot better than the Star Wars prequels. Could have been a great 2 part movie, instead it was just enjoyable being back in Middle Earth.

Chef was very good until the last 5 minutes, that ending was terrible.

I totally agree. That seemed so contrived and unneeded. Just the ending knocked my score down 2 points (on a 10 point scale).

was that the wedding? Also thought at the beginning when he went to the restaurant to yell at the critic he was going to bring the food he was cooking at home. Not sure why hed flip out at him, especially since he knew he didnt like the food the first time he had to cook it for him.

was that the wedding? Also thought at the beginning when he went to the restaurant to yell at the critic he was going to bring the food he was cooking at home. Not sure why hed flip out at him, especially since he knew he didnt like the food the first time he had to cook it for him.

Yeah, I didn't get any sense of a reconciliation in process during the movie then all of a sudden BOOM: wedding. I also dock the movie .5 points for Favreau's conceit of having the two women in his life be ScarJo and Vergara. His wealth to schlubbiness ratio wasn't even close to being enough for me to buy into that.

Here are Bret Easton Ellis' top movies of 2014.

I saw Leviathan last night. Very good, pretty damn bleak though.

https://twitter.com/BretEastonEllis/status/554370810379386880
B7GFUIMCYAAFKQr.png:large

I loved Chef. I saw that in the middle of a dreary afternoon and left the theatre feeling awesome.

I just saw American Sniper and really liked it. I felt they did a great job of showing how troubled Kyle was but of course could only go so far as to not besmirch his name. I havent read the book so I cant compare the two.

Back