• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

Here are Bret Easton Ellis' top movies of 2014.

I saw Leviathan last night. Very good, pretty damn bleak though.

https://twitter.com/BretEastonEllis/status/554370810379386880
B7GFUIMCYAAFKQr.png:large

what do you expect? It comes from that god forsaken country russia

Nymphomaniac in his top 10 kind of kills the credibility of his entire list. It wasn't a terrible movie, but it certainly wasn't top 10 in any year.

Super disappointed in Inherent Vice. I can't articulate this fully, but I thought it was a terrible adaptation of the book in terms of failing to capture its humor, emotion and most of all, setting. Which is a little weird because it's impressively faithful to the events of the book, as best I can recall. Even considering it independently of the source material, I thought it failed to measure up to PTA's usual output. I've re-watched Boogie Nights and There Will Be Blood in the last 3 months and there's just no comparison.

I dunno I liked Nymphomaniac. It was pretty crazy, twisted and dark. Enjoyed the first part way more than the second.

Fucking loved Stacy Martin.

Yeah, because the chick getting naked in the first one is a lot hotter than her counterpart in the second one.

Saw The Imitation Game this evening and The Guest tonight. Both were great films in their own right. I'm getting closer to finishing my best of 2014 list.

I saw American Sniper last night. I thought it was extremely well done and Bradley Cooper did an amazing job.

The theater is very close to the Navy base and there was a significant t amount of audible crying at the end of the film. Parts were very difficult to watch.

I watched Grand Budapest, loved it. Charming, quirky and I feel like its utterly rewatchable, which is a huge compliment I think.

Saw Magic in the Moonlight last night. Thought it was really good. Not incredible or amazing, but just an enjoyable, fun, quirky movie. And at just under 100 mins it wasn't a huge time commitment.

I saw American Sniper last night. I thought it was extremely well done and Bradley Cooper did an amazing job.

The theater is very close to the Navy base and there was a significant t amount of audible crying at the end of the film. Parts were very difficult to watch.

whoa, there. keep your flag masturbation to yourself, jingo unchained

Saw Boyhood & American Sniper tonight. Enjoyed both. Like it was said earlier, Bradley Cooper did a fantastic job.

Finally saw Selma. Damn. The Academy really fucked that one up.

I saw Selma last night. I thought it was quite powerful and moving. I hate to admit it, but I didn't know the particulars of that story. If you'd asked me what happened with Selma before the movie, I would have said "MLK did something for civil rights and uh... that's all I got". I understand it has some historical inaccuracies but the basic plotline is right.

I'm ok with none of the actors being nominated for an Oscar. Oyelowo didn't make me think "This man MUST be nominated" but it seems the director would have been a good choice*. Now the Academy has to deal with the #OscarSoWhite hashtag when they could have made history with a black female nominee for direction.

*No, I can not profess to knowing the technicalities that make for good direction.

I saw Selma last night. I thought it was quite powerful and moving. I hate to admit it, but I didn't know the particulars of that story. If you'd asked me what happened with Selma before the movie, I would have said "MLK did something for civil rights and uh... that's all I got". I understand it has some historical inaccuracies but the basic plotline is right.

I'm ok with none of the actors being nominated for an Oscar. Oyelowo didn't make me think "This man MUST be nominated" but it seems the director would have been a good choice*. Now the Academy has to deal with the #OscarSoWhite hashtag when they could have made history with a black female nominee for direction.

*No, I can not profess to knowing the technicalities that make for good direction.

I had a very different reaction to Oyelowo's performance. Similar to Daniel Day Lewis's portrayal of Lincoln, he takes a historical character that people "know" really well and plays the character that most people don't. Oyelowo portrays King the strategist and community organizer, the man whose family and faith are tested by his political commitments, and the politician with the courage to take on the White House, not to mention the radical white and black establishments. Part of what's so remarkable about his performance IMO is how he balances subtlety and charisma, playing a man under tremendous strain and accountable to both his inner circle and an entire movement.

The film in general reminded me a lot of Lincoln. Rather than fulfilling some diversity quota, Ava Duvernay absolutely deserved a nomination for her direction in this film. The tone that she maintained throughout was masterful, very light on cheap sentimentalism and extremely patient, showing just how much strategy and work - from a variety of different individuals - went into the accomplishment of the Voting Rights Act. Furthermore, she got great performances from the cast, particularly Oyelowo, Wilkinson, Toussaint, and Stephen James. Even Common did a great job in this one and I have never been impressed with his acting.

It's a shame that the outrage around its snub feeds into the fact that the Oscars owe something to Duvernay as a black woman director. It's a snub, IMO, in large part because it's one of the best directed films of the year with a handful of outstanding and memorable performances which elevated what could have been a formulaic and saccharine throwaway into a special film about one of the foundational moments in American democracy.

Finally saw Gone Girl. Nice little mind fuck, right?

It followed the book precisely and I thought Affleck did a nice job. I couldn't get over how deep Pike's voice was in the beginning (it was distracting), but as the plot twists unfurled it became much more appropriate.

yea i saw that last night as well, no thread on it right?

It was good. Weird, dont totally get why he stays with her at the end.

Back