• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

Spotlight is a purely shit movie.

Watched Harakiri (1962) over the weekend. My God, what a film.

They mention Mulholland Drive in the opening paragraph but fail to put it in the list, which is a mistake.

the story of Spotlight is good, but there's not much to it in terms of cinematic quality. Feels like you could have gotten any collection of decent actors on most any sets and put together a competent film.

Darkest Hour on HBO. Good movie, the way they filmed it was interesting. All the scenes in parliament were powerful, but they kept doing this thing where they would zoom out of the scene and show it from above like flying over (yes I get why) which didn't really work. Also Lithgow's Churchill in the Crown was better.

Spotlight >>>> Moonlight
Strong disagree. I'm aware you dont like Moonlight, but Spotlight was such a uninteresting, bloodless movie. I can really only think of two interesting movies about newspaper investigations - All The President's Men, and Kill The Messenger

the story of Spotlight is good, but there's not much to it in terms of cinematic quality. Feels like you could have gotten any collection of decent actors on most any sets and put together a competent film.
Yep. There is nothing cinematically interesting about it. It is shit.

Yi Yi, Mulholland Drive, In the Mood for Love, and Oldboy are some pretty obvious omissions to that list.

Strong disagree. I'm aware you dont like Moonlight, but Spotlight was such a uninteresting, bloodless movie. I can really only think of two interesting movies about newspaper investigations - All The President's Men, and Kill The Messenger

The Paper - ironically also starring Michael Keaton - is an underrated movie for sure. Superb cast and great pacing.

Spotlight was a decent movie, but it loses points because it feels like an extended SVU episode with better actors.

I actually really dug Spotlight, but I wasn't holding it up against anything. I kind of liked that it was bland and procedural -- I thought it worked in the context. I don't know man.

agree with this

did y'all like ​The Post?

I didn't realize there were so many newspaper investigation movies.

Yet no one's mentioned "I Love Trouble".

I liked it; watched it on a plane recently and thought it was pretty entertaining. I also just like Tom Hanks and Meryl Streep, though.

The Post was alright. There are a surprising amount of newspaper journalism based drama/thrillers, they're very formulaic by nature. Spotlight is actually one of the drier ones i've seen.

I liked it; watched it on a plane recently and thought it was pretty entertaining. I also just like Tom Hanks and Meryl Streep, though.

I watched the first half on a plane. Then the second half...on a plane. Three weeks later. Wasn't dying to see what happened, but I'm glad I finished it.

I went and caught the broadcast of Elvis' '68 Comeback Special on the big screen last night and holy shit that thing was great. So weird. Half of it him in that iconic Brando-esque burning black leather biker suit, sweating his ass off, raw, vulnerable, either on his own or acoustic with his old friends and band. The other half consisted of these choreographed set pieces that were psychedelic, spoofy, wild -- him doing a gospel thing, some weird dream sequence that included a brothel and some martial arts, and then this last thing, which is just total soul. I loved every second of it. It was so low tech, and he puts himself out there. Anyway, lest anyone forget. The KING.

Back