• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

Have been on a Criterion kick lately.

Touchez Pas au Grisbi last night

Jean Gabin <3 <3 <3

Very cool, what did you think? Do you have a filmstruck subscription?
Yes. FilmStruck is awesome. I would highly recommend it to anyone who likes older / foreign films. 10.99 a month for that library is an absolute steal. Problem is is that there's just too much good stuff on there and not enough time to watch it all. I have 40+ loaded up in the queue right now.

I absolutely loved it. Le Trou from Becker is one my of my favorites, and with Gabin as the lead, I was expecting I would like it. It certainly didn't disappoint. Perhaps not at the level of Rififi and Le Samourai, but it's close.

Gabin reminds me so much of De Niro from Heat in the film. The presence felt by the other characters. The icy stares. So calculating, so succinct, just so damn cool.

Becker takes his time in putting the story into motion, and you know what, I was totally okay with it. There's a suave style to the film (as there is in many of these French crime noirs I've watched) that kept me fully engaged while Becker delicately develops exposition. But once the momentum starts, there is no letting up with a great, explosive ending that still holds up well over time. Among many things, great use of juxtaposition throughout. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Wish it wasn't out of print or else I would get it on Blu. Might still pick up the DVD version on eBay or something.

Last edited:
Delon in Le Samourai is something else, man. That is some dope shit.
Oh yes it is. The opening credits of him just lying in bed smoking in silence with the bird chirping in the background, cool as fuck. Melville was that dude. Le Cercle Rouge, Bob Le Flambeur, and Army of Shadows are also all great. Haven't seen his other stuff.

I hadn't seen Guess Who's Coming to Dinner in a while. Although many of you may find the story trite, it was ground-breaking at the time. The writing is remarkable as is the acting.

"Prior to this change, women accounted for 22 percent of the approved critics, while people of color accounted for just 18 percent of the pool."

Ouch. I'm glad they realize they can do better.

Hostiles was bad.

Lots of emo type stuff that I doubt was part of the culture on the frontier in the early 1890's. Lots of long stares into the distance...."dramatic" (boring) pauses, etc.

Great cast and scenery, but the direction, editing and dialogue was trash.

Hostiles was bad.

Lots of emo type stuff that I doubt was part of the culture on the frontier in the early 1890's.

You mean like soldiers having ptsd and existential crisis after long careers of slaughtering Native Americans?

Paris, Texas

My god, what a film.

I saw BlackkKlansman. It took a little while to really get going but was really good. I am surprised Trump hasn't had Spike arrested or at least gone batshit about him on Twitter.

Back