• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

Unbroken was great, not as great as the book, but Jolie did a solid job adapting it to film. I wish they would've shown more of his post-war struggles but it would've been a Hobbitan three hour movie so I understand. The actor who played The Bird did a great job of making me hate him like I did while reading the book. It's still amazing that Zamp forgave his captors and ran in the Olympics years later.

Watched Dawn of the Planet of the Apes last night. Pretty entertaining flick as well.

Saw The Skeleton Twins with Kristen Wiig and Bill Hader Friday night. Man, some tough scenes to watch but overall pretty good. It's weird seeing them (and Ty Burrell) play serious roles but Hader did a nice job of brinigng the dark comedy.

Finally saw The Theory of Everything on showbox last night. Similar to The Imitation Game, it's only a good movie, but Eddie Redmayne is amazing as Hawking. Brought tears to my eyes a couple times. I think Redmayne deserves the Oscar, but the film doesnt make my top 10 list.

Fincher and Ben Affleck are remaking Strangers on a Train. That could be cool.

I'm watching Boyhood.

I feel like people are only all over its nuts because of the process of how it was made.

I saw American Sniper last night. I thought it was extremely well done and Bradley Cooper did an amazing job.

The theater is very close to the Navy base and there was a significant t amount of audible crying at the end of the film. Parts were very difficult to watch.

whoa, there. keep your flag masturbation to yourself, jingo unchained

Thought Bradley Cooper was excellent in American Sniper...
Quietest I've ever seen a movie theatre letting out. Cooper bulked up a ton to play the part, and did a great job of getting down Kyle's mannerisms. I thought the ending fit the overall theme and tenor of the movie itself.

American Sniper made around $90M this weekend. As a basis of comparison, that's what X-Men: Days of Future Past made last year and it was the 7th highest grossing weekend. It's going to be on a list of the biggest releases with the big 2015 blockbusters.

Last edited:
Saw Birdman last night. I really liked it overall, and the way it was filmed was incredible, but I feel like it's basically a better version of The Wrestler. It was at its best when Edward Norton was onscreen and I think his absence in the last third kind of dragged it down a bit. I loved all the performances though.

I saw Boyhood Saturday night. Was not blown away. Who wants to watch a 3-hour pic about how some kid turns into a douchebag? And the scene at the end with the manager at the Mexican restaurant was uber-fucking stupid.

I saw Boyhood Saturday night. Was not blown away. Who wants to watch a 3-hour pic about how some kid turns into a douchebag? And the scene at the end with the manager at the Mexican restaurant was uber-fucking stupid.

Does Charlotte have any decent authentic mex restos

Definitely
Most of the nominees are overhyped at this point, Boyhood especially.

Saw Whiplash last night and thought it was awesome. I especially enjoyed the direction and sound editing. I've never paid close attention to jazz drumming, but the film is carried by incredible drum music and ambient noise. I don't agree with fanatic's criticism of JK Simmons performance, he was a monster, but still grounded in reality. Whiplash also had my 2nd favorite climax scene of all 2014 releases (Nightcrawler being first). After having seen The Theory of Everything and Whiplash, I have revised my 2014 list:

1. Birdman
2. Nightcrawler
3. Calvary
4. Grand Budapest Hotel
5. Boyhood
6. Selma
7. The Guest
8. Blue Ruin
9. Whiplash
10. Snowpiercer

My next 10 would be: Skeleton Twins, The Theory of Everything, The Babadook, Under The Skin, Borgman, Dawn of The Planet of the Apes, The Imitation Game, Obvious Child, I Origins, and Edge of Tomorrow

Last edited:
I have always found Kevin Hart funny, but have generally found his movies to be pretty meh.

But Wedding Ringer was hilarious. Laughed throughout the whole movie

American Sniper was just OK

felt like a propaganda film

some of the war scenes were effective

no issue with the ending

Watched Blended this weekend. Typical Adam Sandler flick. Not a great movie by any means but I laughed quite a few times.

Finally saw The Hobbit Part 3 yesterday. It gets a resounding meh from me. Liked it the least of all of the Hobbit films. For a movie titled The Hobbit, Bilbo Baggins probably gets about 30 minutes of screen time. After the first twenty minutes of the movie wrapping up the Smaug story, the movie is essentially an hour of prelude to a battle, and then an hour of battling. Then it just ends. I know it's basically what Tolkien wrote, but the freaking eagles as deus ex machina AGAIN was just too much. Plus apparently a one-on-one battle between two combatants is sufficient to decide an entire battle between thousands of soldiers.

Batman Begins really holds up, its a shame that Katie Holmes dropped out because Maggie G tries to ruin Dark Knight (she doesn't succeed thankfully).

Back