• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

Saw Mary Poppins last night. Wife really like it. Thought it was a worthy successor to the feel and style of the original. Woman next to us was clearly loving it and would look at her husband and son from time to time with a gleeful look of "are you seeing how great this is?" They were clearly nonot enjoying it as much.

The 6 yo liked some parts and the 9 yo enjoyed it. I though it was pretty well done follow up. Enjoyed watching the kids at certain moments more than the movie it self. I did not grow up loving the original so I might not be their target audiance.

Saw Mary Poppins last night. Wife really like it. Thought it was a worthy successor to the feel and style of the original. Woman next to us was clearly loving it and would look at her husband and son from time to time with a gleeful look of "are you seeing how great this is?" They were clearly nonot enjoying it as much.

The 6 yo liked some parts and the 9 yo enjoyed it. I though it was pretty well done follow up. Enjoyed watching the kids at certain moments more than the movie it self. I did not grow up loving the original so I might not be their target audiance.

Really enjoyed it; two hours of pure escapism, and there were some semi-deep life lessons in there that were free to take in or totally ignore if one chose to do so.

Watched Vice over the long weekend. Bale is excellent, but otherwise pretty forgettable. Adams' character is completely one-note, the pacing is off for the entire movie, and the fact that no one in the story is someone you'd want to root for - except maybe Mary Cheney - makes matters worse. It's much more akin to Oliver Stone's W than The Big Short, especially with the novelty scenes: oh, here's when he shot that guy in the face! And here's when he told that guy to go fuck himself! Neat!

Also watched Won't You Be My Neighbor last night. Really, really terrific. I assume I enjoyed it more now that I have kids than I would have otherwise, but I don't think you need to be a parent to dig it. I had no idea he was an ordained minister, probably because he never took the opportunity to shove it down anyone's throat.

Rented Searching and Blackkklansman over the weekend.

Searching was very good with multiple plot twists and it was all shot as if you were looking at somebody's computer or iPhone screen...Interesting technique and it actually worked.

Blackkklansman was a good story, but goddam Spike Lee is so heavy handed. So I learned the Klan is bad. The Alec Baldwin character's rant at the beginning was stupid and the Charlottesville montage at the end was out of place. Just tell the story Spike!

Watched a lot of movies this week with the fam:

The Hangover - teenagers laughed hard and enjoyed the nudity
Titanic - oddly enough, pretty much the same reaction (they liked it overall though)
Usual Suspects - they were bored but minds blown at the end
New Mary Poppins - as noted above, good movie, well done and Emily Blunt was good
Spiderverse - very cool, gave me a headache though - glad we were in the last row
Die Hard - we all enjoyed that and agreed that it's a christmas movie.

Recently watched a few:
Bird Box - likes it quite a bit, but expected more thrills/scares

Hostiles - Bale is superb in this film. It’s gritty AF too. Really liked this one; I’m a sucker for tragic heros.

Hell or High Water - I saw this shortly after it first came out, but wanted to rewatch. Ben Foster really stands out; love this story. Great cinematography IMO. Having travelled through that part of Texas, they depict it really well.

Saw three movies in the last month. That's got to be a record.

Spider-Verse was amazing. The more I think about it, it was a turning point in animation and the superhero genre.

Aquaman was good. The CGI was overall really good. The story was fine although trite. It was fun. Even hard sharks with friggin' laser beams on them.

Ralph Breaks the Internet was wonderful. It was a well done story that did a good job following up Wreck-It-Ralph. It was a good story and a nice fable about how we use the internet and friendship. The princess scenes were as good as advertised. Disney could easily do films or shorts featuring the princesses and other characters in the Disney space within that internet universe. R2D2, Iron Man, Goofy, and Mulan going on an adventure or something.

Half-watching the Golden Globes, I think the only awards films I'd see are Bohemian Rhapsody and Blackkklansman. I've seen Black Panther and Vice and have no interest in any of the others.

I don’t think I’m ready for historical films about things I remember. Straight Outta Compton was very good though. Can’t see enjoying politics as much.

I watched The Children Act on a flight last week.

It was interesting and poignant. Felt to me, however, that it could have been better with just a few adjustments.

Presumably, as always, the book is much better.

Aquaman was good. The CGI was overall really good. The story was fine although trite. It was fun. Even hard sharks with friggin' laser beams on them.

This was pretty much my reaction after seeing it last night. A silly movie that's fun to see in theaters. Glad we went on Tuesday when our theater charges $7 for a ticket instead of the usual $52.

Flew to LA and watched 4 movies -- Ant Man and the Wasp -- loved it, just a funny, entertaining movie and Michael Pena can do no wrong. First movie was a little funnier I thought, but I liked the story in this one better.

Watched Solo again -- better the second time but still a pretty mediocre entry.

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. Better than I was expecting -- appreciated how non-stop the action/story was. I didn't love the first Jurassic World, and I actually thought this one was a little better and less cheesy.

Ocean's 8. Entertaining, but not as funny as Ocean's 11. The writing was not up to snuff. Anne Hathaway stole it (and Sarah Paulson was also very good). I thought Bullock and Blanchett were kind of meh. I'd rank it after Ocean's 11 and Ocean's 13 (which is underrated).

Last edited:
Witness

A great romantic thriller

Harrison Ford the actor

Amish life

Just fucking seamless

Back