• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

TAB, top 5 action stars of all time, go.

Not sure if I can get to 5. I have pretty much hated 'action' movies since about 18. Are comic book movies action movies? If so Hemsworth is pretty good.

Eddie Murphy
Kurt Russell
Stallone
Keanu (Reeves, not Neal)
Mel Gibson

Also

Bruce Lee (not sure if martial arts is its own subgenre)
Chris Hemsworth if CBM counts

Last edited:
Not a fan of The Rock's movies but I do enjoy him in HBO's 'Ballers'. That show cracks me up.

Ballers is terrrrrrrrrrible. One of the weirdest (if not predictable) quirks of the Rock is that he is like supposedly a manly action star, but he has zero, and I mean ZERO chemistry with women. Like you couldnt think about putting him in a romantic comedy or even a love scene.

I think The Rock as a person is charismatic and electric. I think that the movies The Rock usually stars in are simply blow'em up, shoot'em up action movies with little plot. Nobody is saying he's Denzel, but he serves a purpose and serves it pretty well in my opinion.

I refuse to treat him like he's the Larry the Cable Guy of actors.

Last edited:
Not sure if I can get to 5. I have pretty much hated 'action' movies since about 18. Are comic book movies action movies? If so Hemsworth is pretty good.

Eddie Murphy
Kurt Russell
Stallone
Keanu (Reeves, not Neal)
Mel Gibson

Also

you're not sure if martial arts movies is a subgenre?

tab credibility:

6e4b5b641c667a75876b82e27d20259b.png

Agree that Ballers is awful. Makes Entourage look like Masterpiece Theater.

Saw a handful of movies on my recent flights to and from the UK:

Sisters Brothers - Thought it was kind of slow, but I liked it.
Skyscraper - Hoo boy this was bad
A Simple Favor - I thought this was pretty good. And Blake looked REAL good.
I Feel Pretty - Ugh. And I still maintain that Schumer is a 0.
Peppermint - Jennifer Garner as a pseudo John Wick but WAAAAAY worse.

I'm forgetting at least one, maybe two others. The movie selection was pretty bad overall.

Ballers is terrrrrrrrrrible. One of the weirdest (if not predictable) quirks of the Rock is that he is like supposedly a manly action star, but he has zero, and I mean ZERO chemistry with women. Like you couldnt think about putting him in a romantic comedy or even a love scene.

I have never considered this but it is 100% true. When he rolls out of a bed with a beautiful woman in it in Ballers I feel the same “ehhhh don’t buy it” I get when the guy in Mindhunter who I know is gay and have only seen play gay roles hooks up with the female lead.

Eddie Murphy
Kurt Russell
Stallone
Keanu (Reeves, not Neal)
Mel Gibson

Also

Tom Cruise

Crazy Rich Asians was good. Some of it was really funny, and it never seemed to lag. The premise is pretty stupid, she never meets his friends or linkedin connections or instagram, totally doesnt know he is a billionaire? Otherwise good movie, worth 6 bucks.

Watched Den of Thieves last night and was surprised how much I enjoyed it. Nice little wrinkle at the end too. Plus I'm happy to see Nicky Sobotka getting work.

Watched The Man Who Killed Hitler and Then the Bigfoot last night. It was pretty fucking weird, but also entertaining and kinda beautiful and sad. Anyone else seen it? I hadn't even heard of it until I came across it in the On-Demand menu.

Crazy Rich Asians was good. Some of it was really funny, and it never seemed to lag. The premise is pretty stupid, she never meets his friends or linkedin connections or instagram, totally doesnt know he is a billionaire? Otherwise good movie, worth 6 bucks.

Agreed on all counts.

The setup was implausible, but it's a solid rom-com.

I had forgotten how good The Taking of Pelham One Two Three is (the original, of course). One of the greatest crime thrillers ever.

Top 5 greatest closing shot ever? I think so. Awesome flick.

How has Free Solo not been discussed, especially after it won the Oscar?? I love climbing films/books in general and didn't think I'd have the same "wow" factor as most people, because I've seen and read so much about Honnold. But it still exceeded expectations. The feat he accomplished, and the way the crew was able to film it (and stay out of his way and head) was truly amazing.

How has Free Solo not been discussed, especially after it won the Oscar?? I love climbing films/books in general and didn't think I'd have the same "wow" factor as most people, because I've seen and read so much about Honnold. But it still exceeded expectations. The feat he accomplished, and the way the crew was able to film it (and stay out of his way and head) was truly amazing.

It’s airing on NatGeo either this weekend or next and I’ve got it set to record, p excited

Back